Topic Title: AMD + Codemasters and their Ego Engine.
Topic Summary: A brief reminder to AMD that things aren't going so well.
Created On: 07/06/2014 10:58 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2014 10:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nitrous²
Peon

I've been through a bunch of AMD graphics solutions and CPUs with the latest being shown in my signature. Started with an Athlon II X3 455 together with a HD6670 then went to the HD6750. Close to that I upgraded to an Athlon II X4 640 and shortly after to a HD7770. A new Mainboard came in and brought the FX6100 and the R9 280X.

What does all of this hardware stuff have in common, though?  

THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXUzSXKUyDw (Youtube Video showing Dirt 3 suffering micro stutter)

Basically every Ego Engine, formerly known as Neon Engine based game I've ever owned suffered, sometimes more sometimes less, micro stutter. This includes Colin McRae Dirt, Dirt 2, Dirt 3, Dirt Showdown, Race Driver Grid, Grid 2, Grid Autosport, F1 2010-2013. It's a big dealbreaker. It prevents me to even play those games because I get so frustrated, I'm sure one day I'll turn into Hulk (very old building I live in. Geiger-counter rockets in my room...). 

Before I bought my latest setup, I should've known this. It happened all the times before and I was kinda confident that it was going to happen again. I'm sure, next time I upgrad my rig, I ain't gonna go with AMD. I've been researching and troubleshooting this problem since the first time of encounter. That was fu....That was 2007!...No answer since then. FML!....

-------------------------

Processor: AMD FX6100
Graphics: Gigabyte Windforce R9 280x (GV-R928XOC-3GD-GA) 
Mainboard: AsRock 970 Extreme3 r2.0
RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance CL9 4GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 730W

07/06/2014 11:42 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

So instead of it being the fault of the developers it is the fault of AMD? So I guess AMD are at fault for the entire F1 series (games) being horrible console ports as well?

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/06/2014 11:55 AM

Author Icon
nitrous²
Peon

Partially, yes. I don't know the deal between AMD and Codemasters and why their games don't run so well on AMD systems. Not because I don't know or havent searched anything about it but because I couldn't find proper info about it. Maybe it can "only" be resolved by Codemasters, again I have no serious clue. The only thing I know since I got into AMD is that I spend more time troubleshooting than actually using. Could be just me but highly unlikely for it's going on since the first time I started using AMD hardware.

So to sum up things: A problem that's consistent since 2007. Makes proper gaming on AMD impossible. If it's really Codemasters fault, then why can't AMD have a talk with them? Why can't we have an official statement? 

It's just so unfortunate and frustrating. I'd really like to stick with AMD, mainly because their price to performance ratio is compared to nVidia worlds better. Please don't see this as a "rant". That is, for sure, not my intention. 

Edited: 07/06/2014 at 01:37 PM by nitrous²
 07/06/2014 01:45 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Why is it that Ubisoft keeps putting out flawed game after flawed game requiring patch after patch? Because people do not demand better and keep buying them.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/06/2014 03:11 PM

Author Icon
nitrous²
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion Why is it that Ubisoft keeps putting out flawed game after flawed game requiring patch after patch? Because people do not demand better and keep buying them.

I hope the fact that english is not my native language led me to this, first conclusion: You say the reason AMD's flooding the market with "bad" hardware because people like me don't demand better and keep buying it? Do you? Because that's kinda accurate and sort of offensive.

Or do you mean, people don't (want to?) rant about poorly developed games so game devs and publishers do a better job?

Either way, I still don't get it. Why does this even have to happen? I haven't heared the "green-guys" talking about poor performance on their choice of hardware. Wait, AMD is green too...anyhow. I am so damn pretty sure this whole situation can be reduced to bad communication between game developers, publishers and all the other persons involved in the process of game developing. Also to unsportsmenlike business from nVidias side with that thing called GameWorks. Oh, wait, another great story. Just to test my new r9 280x I bought Watch Dogs. Guess what, I can barely get 25FPS. With a graphics card that'd cost me 270€. Now count the time I'm still spending on troubleshoot in, because AMD drivers show signs of PMS. With no apparent reason, the display driver crashes. Just happened the third time today. Doesn't matter wich driver I use. It just happens...is this ridiculous...or not?

I don't want to pay people who don't make their job with the utmost respect it deserves, be it a game dev or hardware engineer. I have no freakin clue whos fault this is and why should I?! It's not my job to know this.  

07/06/2014 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

I play GRID,and it runs flawlwss on my setup.I know GRID doesn't support crossfire,so I disable 1 card.

I have had no/little issues with the AMD hardware and been using it since 2002,I've had intel and Nvidia as well,The only one I have had issues with was the Nvidia card(GTX 560Ti 448,It lasted almost 2 hours).

How I've notice games in the last few years Is that more and more seem rushed out just for the sake of Money,nothing more.Then we,the user become "testers" for the developers to help Fix everything wrong with them.If we complain enough.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

07/06/2014 05:12 PM

Author Icon
nitrous²
Peon

Originally posted by: Earnhardt I play GRID,and it runs flawlwss on my setup.I know GRID doesn't support crossfire,so I disable 1 card.

I have had no/little issues with the AMD hardware and been using it since 2002,I've had intel and Nvidia as well,The only one I have had issues with was the Nvidia card(GTX 560Ti 448,It lasted almost 2 hours).

How I've notice games in the last few years Is that more and more seem rushed out just for the sake of Money,nothing more.Then we,the user become "testers" for the developers to help Fix everything wrong with them.If we complain enough.

I'm glad your experience with AMD is great. I can't say that for myself...

07/06/2014 08:36 PM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Overclocker

Originally posted by: nitrous² ...

Either way, I still don't get it. Why does this even have to happen?....

Because the game/coding industry is a mess - the consumer is abused being the final beta tester and the card drivers have to be updated for most titles to work stutter free on multi-card systems!?

This clearly indicates there is no coding framework to make a game running flawlessly out of "the box" and even more wicked inter-platform compatible - it's called the new world "smartness" people have to put up with until someone in the industry starts growing a brain ... until then we have to put up with patch the patchwork.

To me the industry is full of imbeciles

GA 990FXA-UD3v4
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1866 HyperX Fury
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
1x SSHD ST1000DX001/ 1x SATA3 WD Blue/ 1x STBV2000300
SeaSonic 650W
Win7x64

07/07/2014 08:06 AM

Author Icon
nitrous²
Peon

Alright, now that we've somehow cleared that the game industry lost quality in favor of money, has any of you guys got an advice for me? As I said, the AMD graphics driver is chrashing spontaneously. Sometimes while playing games (doesn't matter which game) and sometimes even in desktop mode while doing nothing. When playing a video, you can see the video image getting distorted after which the screen freezes until Windows restarts the driver plugin. At least that's what Windows tells me it's doing. The only game I can "barely" play is Enslaved Odyssey To The West. Btw, a horrible, horrible console port. It still has problems where the image freezes and the sound plays in constant loop. To get it working again, I have switch to the desktop an back to the game again. The switch-to-desktop-and-back-to-game method doesn't work on other games though. Some just freeze and I have to force close them and some even require me to restart the pc, like Assetto Corsa and iRacing does. Tested on Catalyst 13.1, 14.4 and 14.6 RC2. I've also tested my video card on an AsRock 990FX Extreme4 with an FX8120 and got almost the same results with the difference that freezes on Enslaved Odyssey To The West don't take as long to recover and framedrops being less noticeable. I can't help but consider a hardware malfunction. What do you guys think?

07/07/2014 08:28 PM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Overclocker

You tested the R9 in a different system and the problems are the same? - sounds like a bad card then or temperature problem.

To be on the safe side you could clean wipe windows and install from scratch just to make sure it's not a screwed OS .. or a bad overclock maybe?

GA 990FXA-UD3v4
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1866 HyperX Fury
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
1x SSHD ST1000DX001/ 1x SATA3 WD Blue/ 1x STBV2000300
SeaSonic 650W
Win7x64

07/07/2014 11:43 PM

Author Icon
nitrous²
Peon

Originally posted by: MyMedia59 You tested the R9 in a different system and the problems are the same? - sounds like a bad card then or temperature problem.

To be on the safe side you could clean wipe windows and install from scratch just to make sure it's not a screwed OS .. or a bad overclock maybe?

Actually, that's what I did on both systems. Used the same HDD wich I formatted with DBAN first. Reinstalled Windows 8.1, installed every available update. With the setups having nothing installed but Avira AntiVir, Steam, Origin and, of course, AMD Catalyst drivers I had to face the same problems. Crashing, freezing, stuttering and that sort of things. I think now it's only up to a defective HDD or the graphics card having a hardware defect. I sent my r9 280x in for RMA and now I'm gonna wait for a replacement. If I'll still have issues and the HDD turns out to be ok, wich it seems to be according to various HDD benchmarks, I'll have at least clarity about my future hardware choice. Seriously, I don't have time for this. I wan't to use my computer, not become the fulltime technician of it!...

Btw, temps are pretty normal. ~35°C on idle and ~70°C on full load, according to HwMonitor and GPU Overdrive.

08/16/2014 09:14 AM

Author Icon
nitrous²
Peon

After five weeks, the card finally arrived at my place. Gigabyte couldn't find a problem and sent it back to me. This took them five weaks...

09/09/2014 04:57 AM

Author Icon
ZatzmanZatz
Peon

IDK if anyone has been reading the dirt 3 forums on steam but everyone is pretty pissed off at codemasters for not fixing dirt 3 as promised.

I cant even get support from them. I tell them the issue and they tell my the game doesnt get support in windows 8.1

"Red Warrior needs food badly"

Statistics
87542 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.