Topic Title: XFX Radeon R9 270X card glitches while playing Minecraft
Topic Summary: My card glitched only while playing minecraft and glitched and crashed my PC twice when posting here!
Created On: 07/30/2014 03:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/30/2014 03:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
surio
Peon

Graphics Card

2048MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 200 Series (XFX Pine Group)
  Subvendor    XFX Pine Group (1682)
  XFX Radeon R9 270X @GB DDR5 Black OC Edition
  Black DD Radeon R9 270X 1100M 2GB D5
  BIOS Version    113-CURACAO_XT_HYNIX_H_B_130801JD_W8 
  No overclocking whatsoever.

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History 
Driver packaging version    : 14.10.1006-140417a-171099C
Catalyst Version            : 14.4
AMD Catalyst control centre    : 2014.0417.2226.38446

Operating System

Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
   AutoUpdate    Download Automatically and Install at Set Scheduled time (Every day)

Issue Details

I invested significant money into this machine, because I wanted to play modded Minecraft with friends on a server. I was actually recommended a Sapphire card with same Radeon base, and a 3GB RAM by another minecraft player. As it was totally out of my price range, I settled for 1GB less, but same card, so to speak.

From day one, every time I start playing the game, after a few minutes into the game, I start getting image glitches (see attachments). I also get a weird graphics glitch where a bright coloured line from a random pixel on the screen traces a line, and then spins on its origin all over the screen. I don't have a screenshot of this one though.

Screenshots:

Minecraft glitches around the entire marked square with black squares erupting all over

Another one that shows the same issue

Again, the same kind of glitch

I do not have any graphics problems while running the desktop for my normal non-gaming computer activities. Only today, my screen black screened once and crashed my PC, and subsequently blacked out parts of my screen before erupting into scattered pixels and crashed again, while I was uploading this post to the forums.

I do not play any other game, and having spent so much money on this rig, it is very upsetting to see the game glitch everyday. People to whom I have posed this question have been mostly trolly with "y u no use vidia" responses. Other web forums have not been helpful either. The only other error that is similar to mine was also posted on these forums recently.

Link 1

Link 2

I recently found out there has been a Catalyst centre update in the middle of July. On the changelog, I did not see anything pertaining to fixes for the R9 270X. Also, last time someone recommended that I uninstall the driver that came with the CD from my card  and download direct from AMD and re-install it. It cost me half a day, and did nothing to improve anything. The AMD uninstall/reinstall cycle is something that I was very unlucky with. Consequently I am not at all interested in doing a "update and see it it works". If something can be resolved with my existing settings, please suggest those first.

The settings in Minecraft that are relvant for this discussion is

Advanced OpenGL: OFF

VSync: OFF

My catalyst settings for 3D applications is:

The struck off ones with wordings above are the final settings I retained.

The struck off settings with wordings added above are the final settings I retained.

Motherboard or System Make & Model

Motherboard
    Manufacturer    ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
    Model    M5A99FX PRO R2.0 (Socket 942)
    Version    To be filled by O.E.M.
    Chipset Vendor    AMD
    Chipset Model    RD9x0
    Chipset Revision    02
    Southbridge Vendor    AMD
    Southbridge Model    SB910/950
    Southbridge Revision    40
    BIOS 2201

Power Supply

Cooler Master Thunder 500W
    RS-500-ACAB-M3 120mm fan

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

DELL S2240L 1920x1080 on AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
    HDMI cable to card. Nothing else.

Applications and Games

Only glitches while playing minecraft
EDIT: Oh, the irony! It glitched and crashed twice while I was typing information into my post from Notepad++, using Mozilla FF 31.0!

CPU Details

AMD FX 8320 8 core Processor Black Edition 3.5 GHz 16MB total cache   
    Name            AMD FX-8320
    Codename        Vishera
    Specification    AMD FX(tm)-8320 Eight-Core Processor          
    Package         Socket AM3+ (942)
    CPUID            F.2.0
    Extended CPUID        15.2
    Core Stepping        OR-C0
    Technology        32 nm
    TDP Limit        125 Watts
    Core Speed        3712.4 MHz

Motherboard BIOS Version

Brand    American Megatrends Inc.
    Version    2201
    Date    22-11-13

System Memory Type & Amount

Corsair Vengenance DDR3 8GB x 2
    16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 802MHz (11-11-11-28)

Additional Hardware

Storage
    SSD DRIVE: 119GB ADATA SP900 (SSD)   
    HDD: 1863GB Western Digital WDC WD20EZRX-00D8PB0 (SATA)   
    Game and game content is stored in my WD drive.
Optical Drives
    HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSB0    (LG DVD Writer Super Multi)
Fans:    
    Default fan at the back that came with c`abinet
    One extra Side Fan on the side

Piriform Speccy and Coretemp utilities report a max of 49 degs C for both CPU and GFX  while playing Minecraft.

Speccy screenie for my GFX Card: http://i.imgur.com/h3m2wBn.png

Speccy Screenie for my CPU: http://i.imgur.com/IDapLQt.png

Speccy screenie as my game was running: http://i.imgur.com/PnqkGz8.png

Additional Details

All components sourced brand new.   
Kaspersky AV 2014 - Had it installed while assembling PC.

Thanks in advance.

07/30/2014 03:57 PM

Author Icon
surio
Peon

This is so bad! Are there some kind of spoiler tags to hide those images? The way the forums is showing those images has ended up eating the messages out of the reading frame! Could I request one of the moderators to add linebreaks to those lines to force them into the viewing area? I would have done so myself, except there seems to be no "edit your message" feature for the posts.

08/01/2014 12:34 AM

Author Icon
surio
Peon

*bump*

Update:

Just as I had feared, I had a few big false starts, but finally, I have updated to the new RC1 drivers! Why does an AMD catalyst uninstall/reinstall update have to be so convoluted in the first place, that I have to run 3rd party Guru3D applications to "clean up" my uninstalls?! 

As the update process itself was both time-consuming and emotionally draining, I haven't had a chance to test, if this improved my state of affairs with my Minecraft client.

Also, given that there may not be sufficient number of "peers" with the exact same problem (running exactly my hardware and playing modded Minecraft on it), would someone in "official capacity" be kind enough to go over this and see if it is replicatable on R9 270X cards in general?

08/03/2014 08:54 AM

Author Icon
surio
Peon

Another *bump*. And another bad news. The driver update did not do anything for me.

Here is the game as I start playing Minecraft:

Normal Game, without screen rlitches

Perhaps an hour into playing the game:

This kind of lines start flashing/overlaying on the screen

This kind of lines start flashing and overlaying on the screen. I have to simply stop the game and restart all over, and this or the glitch pasted above, starts all over again.

@Earnhardt or @Marc@AMD (sorry for taking the liberty of pinging you)

Could you both kindly have someone look into this, please? Like I said before it is unlikely to find a "peer" with similar problem who has either resolved this, and/or is going to reply to this.

These are the hi-res images, for those interested.

Normal Screen: http://i.imgur.com/49f9crO.png

Glitched Screen: http://i.imgur.com/HbtP9eF.png

08/03/2014 10:17 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Does the same thing happen with an unmodded client? Perhaps you need to reconfigure java using command line parameters to accomodate increased system requirements due to mods.

-------------------------
Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 08/03/2014 03:09 PM

Author Icon
surio
Peon

@zipsi,

Given the amount of effort I am putting into the posts, I was hoping people would give me the benefit of doubt that I won't need basics hand-holding!

About Java parameters, as a modded player I'm a power gamer category already. So, I've got the basics of those figured out and my launcher has memory and other things optimally set up to handle the load of a modded game.

I have not played unmodded minecraft for a long while now, and do not intend to.

The only difference b/w the two is that mojang won't support an issue with minecraft when playing with mods. Everything else about the two games is the same.

Also, MC/modded-MC is more CPU intensive than GPU intensive when compared to other games like Quake or half-life. So, the card playing havoc like while gaming MC points to a somewhat more serious issue.

Finally, one of guys on our server runs the exact same Radeon card type, but it is a Sapphire 3GB R9 270X card. He said he has absolutely no issues with the game.

This needs some attention from someone official.

08/03/2014 03:45 PM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

The problem with mods is, they are not in any way supported by anyone, not Mojang or AMD. Testing a vanilla client without any user modifications would tell if its the mods themselves causing the issue or if the issue also occurs when the game is run the way originally intended by its developer.

Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 08/03/2014 04:05 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Issue #1 since this is a peer-to-peer gaming forum, your responses are lite...obviously not a lot of people having this issue.There is a form to present your reproducible  issues to the AMD driver staff. Here

Why are you not using vert sync?

Your CCC settings;change; disable surface format optimizations - application controlled tesselation (not AMD) -

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/13/2014 12:03 AM

Author Icon
surio
Peon

@zipsi,

AMD cannot claim it won't support modded games. A game publisher has the right to say so (I don't want to go there). But, as we speak, Mojang is working on an official API to allow modding of Minecraft - so we're being ahead of the wave, let's say. And I am not interested in derailing this discussion any more. If you have nothing else to help me with, thanks for your help so far.

@stumped,

Firstly, Thanks. This was the first response I can act upon, on these forums.

Enabling VSync makes the game sluggish and runs it at 20-30 fps, for some bizarre reason. Still, I tested the game a little with your options. I still get the glitches.

I also discovered that one of my RAM module had memory problems, so I removed it out and I am in the process of sending it to my dealer.

Any other suggestions?

Statistics
85784 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.