Topic Title: Show disconnected devices in device manager allowing uninstall
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/02/2013 10:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/02/2013 10:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

When I replaced my 4870 with my current 6970, I could not get my computer to recognize my new card. ( I had Vista (I know) at the time )  Tried everything, including double checking I had my computer plugged in. Then I ran into this article. I followed this guide and sure enough my old 4870 card showed up in device manager and I could delete it. Afterwards, happy camper. Another interesting thing was the number of 'disconnected' devices that I found...and deleted. So if you have tried everything else, just before you shoot the damn thing, give this a go.

Show disconnected devices in Device Manager allowing them to be uninstalled (TTID #419)
Author: TACKtech Team     

Problem:

After replacing or removing hardware from a computer, the device(s) are not shown in the Device Manager.
This prevents the uninstalling of the device(s) which may cause system to run sluggish.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Solution:

Click Start > Run...

Type cmd into the Open: textbox.

Click the OK button.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Type   set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1   at the command prompt. (enter)

Type devmgmt.msc at the command prompt.

Enter----------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Device Manager:

Click View > Show hidden devices from the menu.

Click on the + to expand the hardware type of the device that was removed.

Identify the removed hardware item(s).
These devices Will Appear Lighter In Color, or gray.

Right Click on the removed hardware item.

Left Click on Uninstall from the menu.

Confirm Device Removal dialog:

Click the OK button.

After all of the removed hardware item(s) have been uninstalled,
Close the Device Manager.
Then, Close Command Prompt.

Thanks to TACKtech article >   http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=419

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 11:35 PM by stumped
Statistics
84303 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.