Topic Title: MicroATX Motherboard Chipsets!
Topic Summary: Why aren't the newest of the new chipsets made for MicroATX?
Created On: 03/19/2012 03:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/19/2012 03:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
namco
n00b

I'm actually really chuff about this.  I've always been a MicroATX guy and yet still a gamer.  Every MicroATX build I've done has been brilliant.

Currently I have an AMD 7750 on a 690 chipset MicroATX and a 5770 and dont get me wrong, as many wouldn't think, it runs everything pretty decently.  I've been wanted to upgrade so bad to the new AM3+ instead of my crappy AM2 but I can't because there are NO MicroATX boards with the new 9XX series chipset only MicroATX 8XX series supporting AM3+.  THAT to me is retarded.

Why has AMD neglected its MicroATX market? Is is the motherbaord manufacturers or no support for a chipset?

I've actually stopped buying PC parts because of this.  I DON'T want a huge motherboard but I do want functionality.  I feel like MicroATX users aren't getting the support they need from AMD.  Of course I hate overpriced INTEL so that will NEVER happen, when will AMD come back into the support game?

-------------------------
*.*-Kill it before it gets away!-*.*
 03/19/2012 05:09 PM

Author Icon
Gr33nGecko
Long Time Member

Erm, go rant to mainboard manufacturers mate, how they decide to implement leased technology from AMD is their business and their's alone .. nowhere does AMD state that newer 990 chipset tech cannot be used for mATX format boards at all ( unless the tech is totally unsuitable for small form factor boards etc ) .. and by that token, AMD can't force them to make mATX boards either. You're barking up the totally wrong tree and pissing into the wind here ..

Maybe the mainboard manufacturers decided against it due to costs, implementation issues or whatever else their R&D guys have found to be the case .. maybe they're just delayed, ... who knows ..?

Not EVERYTHING is AMD's fault .. but what IS retarded, is blaming every issue, problem and whatever on AMD all the time, every day, all year around like most people seem to do .. There are other factors to consider, namely the 3rd party manufacturing companies and how they see fit to make their components based on leased technology from AMD, whether or not the tech can be used in certain situations, whether the 3rd party manufacturers have decided on viability after surveying the market etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc .. .. ..

AM3 965BE C3 / 4GB Corsair XMS3 2000Mhz / GigaByte 990FXA-UD5 / Corsair H70 & 2 CM Excaliburs / x2 HD3870 ATOMIC Edition / Corsair 90GB Force 3 SSD / Momentus XT 250Gb Hybrid HDD / x3 Samsung F3 1Tb / Sony AD-7700 DVD-RW / Auzen X-Mystique / Enermax INFINITI 650W / Lian Li PC-7FNWB / Logitech X-530 / Logitech Kboard & MX620 Laser Mouse / Epson RX685 / DELL U2312HM 23" IPS TFT / MY RIG HERE
 03/19/2012 06:52 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Look at the differences between the different chipset levels and you will see why manufacturers don't put a 890FX chipset on a mATX board: mATX boards do not have the physical dimensions required to sport 4 PCIe x16 (physical) slots.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A..._chipset_series#890FX

Read that article, aside from the number of PCIe lanes and inclusion/exclusion of an IGP, and of course the number of power phases and type of chipset cooling present, there is no difference between the 4

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
84663 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.