Topic Title: Solid State Drive problem
Topic Summary: Can't bood when I use the SATA mechanical drive as slave to the Solid State SSD drive
Created On: 05/04/2012 12:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/04/2012 12:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
joshace
n00b

I recently bought a computer which came with a SATA mechanical drive in it.  The SATA drive goes as fast as any SATA drive can, but using a SSD solid state drive as the boot drive increases the data transfer rate by about 40%.

I managed to get the SSD drive to boot, and it is blazing fast.  The problem is that if I attach the SATA drive as slave, the computer will not boot.   When the SATA drive is the boot drive, I can access the SSD drive as a slave with no problem.

How can I boot the computer with my SSD drive AND have the SATA drive as a slave?

05/04/2012 12:25 PM

Author Icon
Mkissner
Farming Materials

Originally posted by: joshace I recently bought a computer which came with a SATA mechanical drive in it.  The SATA drive goes as fast as any SATA drive can, but using a SSD solid state drive as the boot drive increases the data transfer rate by about 40%.

I managed to get the SSD drive to boot, and it is blazing fast.  The problem is that if I attach the SATA drive as slave, the computer will not boot.   When the SATA drive is the boot drive, I can access the SSD drive as a slave with no problem.

How can I boot the computer with my SSD drive AND have the SATA drive as a slave?

So, you have an OS installed in each drive???..

If so, you should format the mechanical.. Maybe a conflict between the OS and Bios recognition at startup is the problem...

I'm guessing you entered into your Bios and configured the drives correctly regarding Boot Drive each time you mention, don't you??..

Besides, you should tell us your systems specs, like in my signature, in order to provide you better help..

Best regards..

-------------------------

8320 @ 4,7 / 990FXA UD5 / 7950 @ 1100-6000 / Switch 810 / H110 p-p / 16 GB RAM / 23" 5760x1080 / SSD 64GB RAID0 / HX750 / SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion / z506

05/04/2012 12:36 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Are you using Vista or 7? Are you using the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer of your motherboard? What do you mean by "will not boot", do you mean that it will put up an error "no boot disk" or will it load to the Windows Vista/7 splash screen and lock up? We need details, you know, like the ones mentioned in the big sticky called READ BEFORE POSTING.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/04/2012 02:30 PM

Author Icon
joshace
n00b

I did all the bios configurations, however, I wasn't thrilled with the bios on this computer.  It doesn't allow each drive to be configured separately.

It also annoyed me that I could not migrate the mechanical drive to the SSD even with a system image on DVDs and system image to other hard drive.  I had to build up the SSD drive from scratch - and even then, it was slow as mud until I installed a 64 bit version of the OS on it.  (I mistakenly installed a 32 bit Windows 7 on it).

Your idea of the OS on the mechanical drive being a conflict is a good one.  Before nuking the OS on the mechanical drive, I will try using the mechanical  drive through the USB port as an external drive.  This computer has USB 3.0, so that should be plenty zippy enough for a slave drive.  I suspect that in 10 years, mechanical drives will be obsolete much like floppy disks, tapes, zip drives,  magneto optical drives, punch cards, and cassette tapes have become.  SSD drives are already at the $1 per gig price.

Thanks for the useful answer!  In the Catalyst forum, I got some useless and snotty response from some clown who thinks he knows everything but is incredibly ignorant.   You have restored my faith in humanity!  

05/04/2012 02:42 PM

Author Icon
joshace
n00b

I'm using 7 Ultimate 64 bit.  By the way, it is interesting to me that there are 6 different versions of Windows 7 32 bit, and another 5 versions of Windows 7 64 bit, and none of them allow you to upgrade to another.  Even worse, you can't upgrade from an OEM to a retail version.   You have to do a clean install.  Microsoft blows.

Anyway, it doesn't give an error.  What it does is instead of a normal animated boot screen or menu of bootup options, it has a screen full of supersized text babbling about nothing relevant.  I don't mean the text rundown of drivers when going into Safe Mode.  I mean jumbo plain text that seems to be searching for a device to boot.  

Since the problem is occuring before anything is booted, and the drives are booting fine on their own, the software is not relevant.

Thanks for the quick reply and good advice (yes I have all the latest drivers - which were like pulling teeth to get)  It is for an Gateway / Acer FX 6860  which is a fantastic computer with a low price - however, the low price is due to horrible marketing and lack of any documentation nor support.

05/05/2012 10:25 AM

Author Icon
joshace
n00b

I found a solution!

The computer I bought has 6 SATA connectors (the solid state drive is a SATA device).  Two of them are orange, and the other 4 are black.  I assume that the orange one's are special and have priority over the black ones.  The mechanical drive that came with the computer was attached to an orange one.  I found that by putting the mechanical drive on a black connector, everything worked fine.  I took it a step further and put the SSD drive and changed it to an orange connector, even though it worked on black with the mechanical drive also on black.  I think I will stick with this configuration.

I have one other tip.  When I installed a new Windows 7 operating system on the SSD drive and configured everything, it would not recognize USB memory sticks.  Nothing detected that problem and it didn't get fixed.  The solution to that was to remove the memory stick, uninstall all the USB drivers.  Put the stick back in and reboot.  That triggered the installation of the correct drivers.  

Statistics
84154 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.