Topic Title: **STICKY** | Correct information on how to read your CPU temps
Topic Summary: Straight from Alex Cromwell, Senior Technology Director, Advanced Micro Devices
Created On: 08/29/2012 01:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/22/2013 09:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

I would look and see if there is a new BIOS/UEFI version released for your MoBo and if so update it.  This may correct your issue, if not I would double check that you have your RAM manually configured in the BIOS/UEFI as well as your CPU freq and voltage to make sure that it is not fluctuating too much.  Give that a shot and let us know.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

09/02/2013 06:20 PM

Author Icon
Ruckerduck
Peon

Canis-X - thank you very, very much for your help!!  Went back and forth, trying to figure out how to update the bios from AMI P1.5 to something higher .. finally this morning I just downloaded the P1.8 version and followed the directions ASROCK provides for the update using Windows and it worked!  Amazing .. didn't have to take the computer to the repair guy and leave it with him for 4 days AND pay him money.  What a relief .. anyway, after running the computer with the new bios and replacing the 965 with the 8350, everything works great!!  Thank you again  for your assistance and advice!
 09/11/2013 01:25 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Just an FYI on AMD FX series processor temps...

AMD engineering has looked into the issue and confirmed that the temps below 40C reported by the common temp applets like Core Temp, HWiNFO, OCCT, AMD Overdrive, etc. are NOT accurate. AMD engineering has advised that in the next iteration of AMD Overdrive, this issue will be fixed. There is no word as to when the next iteration of AMD Overdrive will be released however.

Adding a temp offset to make your idle and light load temps appear normal will produce wildly high, inaccurate temps when the CPU/APU is under load so do NOT add a temp offset - per AMD engineering.

It's worth noting however that the only temp that actually counts is the full load temp. If your CPU is below the 24/7 max temp that AMD specified for your model CPU/APU then you are fine. Unlike the Phenon II CPUs that tended to like to be below 55C, the FX models run fine up to the temps AMD specifies for each model CPU which is typically in the 61C-70C range for desktop model FX CPUs.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

12/01/2013 06:14 PM

Author Icon
waltc
Peon

Originally posted by: Arun Yajaman Here is my PC configuration, CPU: AMD FX 8320 3.5GHz Motherboard: MSI 970a-g43 RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz GPU: MSI R7770-PMD1GD5 (1GB, AMD Radeon 7770) Cabinet: Antec X1 Power Supply Unit: Circle 550w DVD RAM: LG 24x UPS: Intex 725 Mouse & Keyboard: Dell USB Monitor: Samsung 18.5" LED (DVI) Hard Drive: WD Green 1 TB I got all the above stuff from flipkart and snapdeal in the last week. Since I had knowledge about assembling a computer I was successful in doing it. When I switched on the power button for the first time, I could see the board setup page where I happened to see the temperature of CPU and board which was increasing gradually from 51c to 78c and 31c to 41c respectively, which does not fall in the ideal range. And the CPU cooler is putting out intesive noise. I switched it off as I did not want to risk myself. I am not able get rid of it even after restarting. I want to fix this issue and later install OS. Kindly help me. I am depressed by this as I have spent nearly Rs. 46000 to build it up. Thank You.

You need to start the OS to get accurate readings--as I don't believe the power-saving halt states like C6, C1E, etc. kick in until OS boot.  Sitting there parked in the bios pre-boot watching the bios temp readings ratchet upwards tells you very little of value...

MSI 970a-G46
Win8.1 x64, UEFI install, version 2.6
FX-6300 @4.5GHz, stable, Turbo disabled, C&Q Enabled
8-gigs 1600MHz DDR3,2x4, 225fsb, 1800MHz effective, 1.5v
Boot: Seagate 320GB; WD 1TB Blue;2x500GB Barricudas=1TB RAID 0
Radeon HD 7850 2Gig
Lian-Li PC-V1200 case
Corsair 600W PSU, 1x 49a 12v rail

01/19/2014 01:27 PM

Author Icon
theprofitsworld
Peon

I need help. I want to replace my laptop CPU. I have no idea which processor wil fit to my Acer TravelMate 2480. Acording to information I was abel to get my current CPU is:

Intel Celeron M CPU@1.60 GHZ

Socket: 479m PGA

Family:6

Chipset:i943/940GML

Please, help me!!!

03/09/2014 11:53 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There are NO AMD processors that can be used in an Intel based laptop. You might want to try the Intel website and start a new thread in the appropriate section of their forum.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
84703 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.