Topic Title: Display driver seemingly crashing on A8-3870K
Topic Summary: Under light load, all video output stops (possibly cpu/gpu related)
Created On: 09/01/2012 09:43 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/01/2012 09:43 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
frogger4
n00b

Hi all,

I have a bit of an odd problem going on, and so I am not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I'll give it a shot. The issue seems to be hardware related, either the cpu/gpu or the motherboard, but specifically not related to software drivers or the physical monitor.

Here is the official form to fill out:

Graphics Card
Radeon HD 6550D (integraded with the cpu obviously)

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Catalyst version 12.8

Operating System
Windows 8 release preview 64-bit
Ubuntu 11.10 (sort of, see below) 

Issue Details
After normal use, usually around 15 minutes of the machine being on, all video output goes blank (the monitor shows the message for no conection, as though the computer were not even on). While the computer continues to run (sound comes through the speakers as though nothing had happened), the display never recovers, requiring a hard shutdown. After restarting, the same thing will happen after an ammount of time.
Thinking that perhaps the system is unstable, I set the graphics clock as low as possible (625MHz I think), and underclocked the cpu as well. Problem still occurs. Stress testing with FurMark seems to bring about the display crash faster; the problem described above will happen consistantly after about two minutes of FurMark.
To rule out software/ driver problems altogether, I tried to install Ubuntu 11.10. Unfortunately, the display would "crash" before I could ever even complete the installation. That would seem to indicate a hardware problem to me.

Applications and Games
Everything, allthough seems to happen faster under graphcis intensive apps (Furmark)

CPU Details
AMD A8 3870K (quad core, unlocked multiplyer)
Stock (3GHz, 1.4V, graphics auto)
Undervolt, Underclocked (2.4GHz, 1.2V, graphics auto)
Overvolt, Underclock (2.4GHz, 1.435V, graphics ~625MHz)

No apparent difference in the problem from any of those changes.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
Samsung E2420 tried with both VGA and HDMI
A friend's monitor with VGA - exact some problem
Some other monitor - same problem

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASRock A75M-ITX ---- This may be the issue, don't know though

Motherboard BIOS Version
A75M-ITX P1.50

System Memory Type & Amount
G.Skill Ares 2 x 4GB, 1866MHz, 10-10-10-28 timings

Power Supply
FSP Group 330W (flex ATX form factor)
quite certain this is not an issue since the system passes Prime95 great. 

Additional Hardware
Crucial M4 128GB boot drive
Just the stock cooler, but running with an open case right now and not overclocked, so cooling shouldn't be an issue.

Additional Details
This is a new install of Windows 8. While that seems like that could be suspicious, I can't find much evidence of a software problem. I took a quick look through the Event Logger to see anything weird, but I pretty much only saw errors from my numerous hard shutdowns I have had to do. The processor passes Prime95 nicely until the the display randomly crashes after a while. The display will crash much faster under FurMark.

I hope all this info is helpful! Please do point me in the right direction if you think of somewhere I can get help. My personal thoughts on the issues going are either a bad motherboard, or a bad APU. I figure I will RMA one or the other, but I'm not sure which at this point.

Thanks in advance for the help! 

12/08/2012 05:45 PM

Author Icon
TristenLocklin
Peon

This is what happend to my computer too.

I have the Trinity A8. I have replaced the motherboard and the power supply with no luck...

12/20/2012 07:09 AM

Author Icon
Azzitude
Peon

Power Supply
FSP Group 330W (flex ATX form factor)
quite certain this is not an issue since the system passes Prime95 great. 

MORE POWER:    I use 550 minimum on all the APU's I build and have no issues .....I also use the MSI 75 chipset and not the asrock, gotta love the 49 dollar boards

Statistics
88822 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.