Topic Title: How to Adjust Front Side Bus
Topic Summary: issue also regarding Black Edition CPUs
Created On: 09/28/2012 02:41 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/28/2012 02:41 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bivvz
n00b

Wasn't sure if this went under processors or Motherboard.... feel free to move.

Graphics Card
Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
CCC v12.8

Operating System
Windows 7 64-bit (Service pack 1)

Issue Details

I've been told by GW2 tech support that my Front Side Bus is running at 100MHz higher than it should.(they stated reports i sent show it's running at around 900MHz and it should be around 800MHz)

I have 2 questions regarding this:

-If this sounds correct, then how do I go about adjusting the Front Side Bus MHz?

-I read somewhere that Black Edition CPUs will sort of Overclock themselves depending on load.  What do I have to do to ensure this DOES NOT happen.  GW2 is known for having trouble with Overclocking apparently so if this is what is happening I need to stop it immediately.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
ASUS m4a87td EVO

Power Supply

XFX Black Edition 850W

Applications and Games

Guild Wars 2

CPU Details
AMD Phenom II x4 975 Black Edition 3.6GHz

Motherboard BIOS Version
v2001

System Memory Type & Amount
Kingston HyperX 16gb

Thanks!

09/28/2012 04:15 AM

Author Icon
Damric
Cookie Monster

Tell the GW2 techs that AMD chips do not have a Front Side Bus, and if it did it certainly wouldn't be running at 900MHz on a Phenom II lol.

I'm certain they had to be pulling your leg. There is no way they can be that stupid and call themselves "tech support".

As far as automatic overclocking, it's called Turbo Mode, and your CPU does not support that (it's only on E0 revision and later chips).

-------------------------
If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.
 09/28/2012 04:43 AM

Author Icon
Bivvz
n00b

Thanks Damric.

I'm still learning.... but apparently (according to wikipedia LOL fail i know) AMD chips use HyperTransport bus.  Could they have just used the wrong term?  

Been at this issue for a week and still trying everything so just to understand what they were poking at.. were they talking about this? cause that looks normal to me.....  http://imageshack.us/a/img33/3241/speccyss.png

I had TurboV installed idk if that has anything to do with automatic overclocking but i got rid of a little while ago anyway..

09/28/2012 08:27 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Possibly they meant HT Base or HT Reference Clock, as (unfortunately) many motherboards still refer to it as "FSB", but even if they did AMD chips run with a stock 200mhz clock rate, so to get 3.6ghz it uses an 18x multiplier (18x200=3600). Anet/NCSoft tech support is lackluster at best, they've already got your $120 for GW2 so they don't care. You need to tell them to stop blaming AMD for a a problem THEY need to fix.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/28/2012 11:36 AM

Author Icon
Damric
Cookie Monster

I have a few ideas of what is really going on here, but before I speculate,

Whatever program that is that is displaying wrong specifications, uninstall it. TurboV sounds like some junk software that came with the motherboard, just uninstall that.

Download CPUID CPU-Z, and also AMD Overdrive. I'm not going to have you overclock anything, but overdrive has some easy test parameters, all-in-one.

Once you get those two programs running, I want you to perform the stability test in AMD Overdrive to put load on your CPU. While that's going, take a look at what your clocks say in CPU-Z (or Overdrive). Make note of your CPU Frequency, CPU-Northbridge Frequency, HT Reference Clock, HT Link, Memory Speed, and Memory Timings (or just take a screen shot of the tabs open in CPU-Z) and post them here. Then turn off the stability test.

Don't worry. We'll get you squared away, if there are indeed any abnormalities.

09/29/2012 12:40 AM

Author Icon
Bivvz
n00b

Originally posted by: Damric I have a few ideas of what is really going on here, but before I speculate, Whatever program that is that is displaying wrong specifications, uninstall it. TurboV sounds like some junk software that came with the motherboard, just uninstall that. Download CPUID CPU-Z, and also AMD Overdrive. I'm not going to have you overclock anything, but overdrive has some easy test parameters, all-in-one. Once you get those two programs running, I want you to perform the stability test in AMD Overdrive to put load on your CPU. While that's going, take a look at what your clocks say in CPU-Z (or Overdrive). Make note of your CPU Frequency, CPU-Northbridge Frequency, HT Reference Clock, HT Link, Memory Speed, and Memory Timings (or just take a screen shot of the tabs open in CPU-Z) and post them here. Then turn off the stability test. Don't worry. We'll get you squared away, if there are indeed any abnormalities.

Thanks for the help.  I greatly appreciate it.

I have run the stability test and taken some screenshots to be sure I set it up correctly.  Also showing CPU-Z, overdrive, and even GPU-z in case(had it for GW2 support)

1st SS should show everything you said to monitor while running the test - http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/2775/ss1ch.png

2nd SS is just to make sure i set up the stability test correctly cause im a noob - http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/9383/ss2nw.png

And finally just in case i uploaded the full report from CPU-Z and uploaded it to zippyshare since I didn't see a way to attach anything direclty here. - http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/69877898/file.html

I asked GW2 tech support what they were referring to on speccy being 900MHz and they pointed out what I have circled in this screenshot: http://imageshack.us/a/img90/1278/speccygw2tech.png

09/29/2012 06:05 AM

Author Icon
Damric
Cookie Monster

Everything looks good and well. All parameters are as they should be, running exactly at stock settings.

What is speccy and why is it wrong? I would throw speccy in the trash and burn it.

If you want to learn more about your platform, check out the FAQ sub-forum and download the Dragon Platform Tuning Guide pdf that I linked there.

09/29/2012 05:30 PM

Author Icon
Bivvz
n00b

http://www.piriform.com/speccy/screenshots

just like cpu-z or any of those programs.  idk why that "Bus Speed" shows 900MHz because no other program reports the same thing.

Thanks I'll check that out.  I'm decent with computers but havent done ANY tuning really so i should get up on that.

Statistics
80937 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.