Topic Title: Upgrade from 960T to fx8120, poor memory performance
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/26/2012 09:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/26/2012 09:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
slimmy427
Peon

Sorry for the long title but, I'm hoping to draw an immidiate and specific solution. I recently upgraded my CPU to the 8120 from my 960t four core. I now am experiencing a 50% decrease in memory performance. I also am trying to work around the throttling issues that appear to be very common.

All bios/drivers are up to date with all cores recognized in task manager.

MB: biostar 990fxe

750W bronze PSU

560ti OC

gskill 2 stick 8gb 9-9-9-24

128gb samsung 830 ssd with two mechanical back ups

After everything was installed and running, what seemed to be optimal, I ran some benchmarks. First I used amd overdrive and the out come was terrible. Floating point calcs on my 960T was 22000 were the 8120 was 16000 other issue was memory 960 was 4040 and 8120 posted 2045. The confussing part the 8120 showed no improvement if OC or not.

Next test I did was cinebench 11.5 and things seemed hopeful. Scored what most others did with a 6.1 as where my 960 scored a 4.5. Still the AOD troubled me.

I ran passmark and all became worse LOL. CPU was posting great numbers but everyting else failed. Memory seen a 43-52% decrease, SSD suffered 20%, 2D image gen was terrible....by this point I became rather pissed and frustrated. My 960T out perfored in all but the calculations.

I then played a few games and my god the frame loss was outragous!

Please all, if you have any insight for me. I would like a game plan before I get home and waste away my friday evening, obsessing, repeating....well running full insanity till I either starve of fix the problem

Thanx in advance and I will truely and forever love the person who helps me

10/26/2012 10:20 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

If I were you and the 8120 could still be returned.....I would send it back and get one of the second generation FX CPUs that were released this week.  They outperform the first gen.....and they are cheap!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

10/26/2012 10:23 AM

Author Icon
slimmy427
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion Tell me, did you build your computer to play games, edit movies, play music, and other tasks, or did you build your computer to sit around all day running benchmarks obsessing over every point? In the home market, outside of APUs, RAM reached a speed ceiling a long time ago with DDR2 1066 CL5, as DDR3 1600 CL7 only gives a 5% improvement over that.

Ouch that came accross rather snooty :/

The reason I upgraded in the first place was because I was suffering from moderate stuttering issues during game play and all the benchmarks were there previously in an attempt to figure out the issue. So finding much worse performance after upgrading in hopes to a solution, is pretty frustrating.

As for me being a gamer and using my rig for such should not discredit me from a help and certainly not to be attacked with some internet ego, LOL. I guess the best I can do is say thank you for taking the time to read my post, whether it was to add flames to my fire or not.

As for the memory ceil.....thats fine, I didnt upgrade my memory JEEZ if your going to be a weiner...be a thurough one What I said was my system is running about 25-30% slower over all and that should not be concider what I've upgraded from.

10/26/2012 01:16 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Tell me, did you build your computer to play games, edit movies, play music, and other tasks, or did you build your computer to sit around all day running benchmarks obsessing over every point? In the home market, outside of APUs, RAM reached a speed ceiling a long time ago with DDR2 1066 CL5, as DDR3 1600 CL7 only gives a 5% improvement over that.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/26/2012 02:53 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

+1 for returning the 8120, if you can.  If you can't, I'd try selling it on ebay or something.  It's not a bad chip, but if you're a gamer, then there are others around which perform better.

I'd put your video card on the upgrade list next, although... depending on what resolution you play at, it's probably not quite old enough just yet to be causing you this kind of trouble.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
84853 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.