Topic Title: AMD Phenom ii 955 x4, system freezes and reboots, even in BIOS
Topic Summary: Just wondering if there is a possibility I have damaged the CPU/motherboard, or have faulty PSU
Created On: 11/11/2012 07:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2012 07:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rennie78
Peon

Hi,
     my problems started about 6 months ago when I changed the stock CPU cooler  for an Arctic Pro, as the stock one was too noisy. I accidently pulled out the CPU (with the bridge still locked) and bent a pin in the process. I put the processor back in, put the cooler on, and booted the system, and nothing happened. Taking it apart again, I realised I had bent a pin on the CPU. I straightened the pin with help from a you tube tutorial, and the PC booted ok, but a new message appeared saying "New CPU Inserted". For a good while this message appeared every time the system booted up, but the system seemed fine, and I continued to use Cubase 6 on the computer.

Then, the CPU started overheating, as the PC would just freeze, and checking the temp with PC Probe 2, the CPU temp was idling at 60 - 65 degrees, which seemed too hot. I put new thermal paste on the heatsink, and also uninstalled and then reinstalled the CPU to see if I could get rid of the message. Also, I changed the CMOS battery in the motherboard. The computer then ran fine for months, and the CPU temperature was idling at aroun 35 - 40 degrees - much better. The message "New CPU inserted" had gone, but I noticed it said "Press 4 to activate ASUS core unlocker", and i wasn't sure how long that message had been there, but I'm sure it wasn't there when I first got the computer.

Just recently, I checked a box on Steinberg Cubase 6 that read "Activate Steinberg Power Scheme", just out of curiosity. The system crashed, and so I uncked the box after it had rebooted, but since then, the system will often freeze or freeze and reboot, even when just idling on the desktop. IT HAS ALSO FROZEN WHEN I AM INSIDE THE BIOS, and I just have to press the reboot switch.

The CPU is idling at around 35 degrees, so it is not overheating. The strange thing is, when I press 4 to activate ASUS core unlocker, the system starts again, but this time says "4 Cores Are Activated". I've noticed that this, in turn, changes "Advanced Clock Calibration" setting to AUTO (in the Advanced/CPU Configuration menu), and there is then a new option called "Unleashing Mode", which is enabled.

At the moment, the message still apears stating "4 cores are activated", and as I have said, I dont remember any message on the green motherboard screen when I first used the computer. I pressed 4 to activate ASUS core unlocker earlier today, as the screen froze into little pixels, and I had to reboot it, then it did the same when i was in the bios checking the settings. That's why I decide to press 4 and activate ASUS core unlocker. It's confusing, as I thought the defualt would be 4 active cores, but if I default the bios settings, it goes back to saying "press 4 to activate ASUS core unlocker", and the "Advanced Clock Calibration" setting has been disabled, and there is no "Unleashing Mode".

Sorry for the long exlanation, but my main point is this: The computer was running fine, then recently I installed Windows 7 (I had XP before), and it all worked even better, as Cubase 6 works best on Windows 7. This lasted weeks without any problems, and only the last few days has it begun freezing, crashing and rebooting like this. I mention this because nothing has changed software wise, and the drivers I use are up to date, and the same ones I was using from the beginning of the new Windows 7 installation, when the system ran smoothly for weeks.

CONCLUSION - I am just thinking that if it is freezing in the bios, it since it was running fine for ages, it may be a hardware problem, and I am concerned I may have damaged the motherboard or CPU when I accidently pulled out the CPU in the first place. Either that, or perhaps it is the power supply.

All tests I have done have showed no hardware/software issues.

Many thanks, Euan

11/12/2012 10:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Hardwood
Polygon Pusher

Pretty weird!!

First thing I'd do is clear the CMOS either by jumper or pulling the battery for a bit (see mobo manual) and then loading the default settings and saving.

-------------------------

#1: Phenom II C2 955BE @ 3.6, Antec Kuhler 920, Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-DS5, Asus 5870/V2, ASUS Xonar D2X, 4 x 1gig OCZ2N1066SR2GK @800, Antec Truepower New 750, Arc Midi, Vistax64
#2: Athlon 64 X2 4200+, AGP 1950pro, Audigy 2, Asus A8V-D, 2gig ram,  Enermax 465P, Antec900case. Now on Win8.1pro cat 10.2

Statistics
81035 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.