Topic Title: FX-6100 "whining" sound, seems to be related to tasks
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/05/2012 07:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/05/2012 07:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
matthew798
Peon

Hello!

I purchased the FX-6100 and am super satisfied with it! I am a very loyal AMD customer!

However, immediately after installing the chip (more than adequate cooling) and overclocking it (slightly), I am plagued with a whining sound. It is enough to give me a headache. The sound is present with cool and quiet turned off, overclocked or not. However I have noticed some patterns:

-The sound is present when i am looking at my desktop with minimal load

-The sound is intermittent, and synced with the update cycle of CPU-Z, when the application is open.

-The sound is NOT present when Prime95 is running on all cores

-The sound is momentarily gone when navigating folders

This leads me to believe that in it's idle state, the processor, or some related component is being throttled to a frequency that is audible, and extremely annoying. This is one case where I can't wait to get older.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Motherboard: M5A97

Processor: AMD FX-6100 ZAMBEZI

Multiplier: 16.5, running at 3600 MHZ

12/05/2012 08:04 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

I'm thinkin that's called coil whine, and it's probably coming from your motherboard instead of the CPU.  It's more common under heavy load than idle... but it can happen.  Your new chip probably has some power saving feature which switches on when idle causing some component on your board to start whining.  Find it and kill it... and the noise will probably go away.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

12/05/2012 08:21 PM

Author Icon
matthew798
Peon

You have any tips for what I should look for in my BIOS?

12/05/2012 08:58 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Disable Cool N Quiet so your CPU doesn't downclock.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/06/2012 11:53 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Forum Moderator

The sound is due to a choke that is not as tightly wound around it's ferrite bead core. Most power supply circuitry operates at high frequencies. Sometimes the harmonics of the switching cicuit will cause some of the chokes/coils to loosen from their cores a bit and this vibration can become audible to the human ear.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Senior Engineering Technician (AEET).

12/08/2012 05:46 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

Likely its due to a cheap PSU, I spent $$$ on a TX850V2 so I can indugle in any abuse I want to my CPU, GPU and RAM I want.

12/08/2012 11:19 PM

Author Icon
matthew798
Peon

No the power supply is from a reputable brand, and did cost me 100$... It may not be high-end but decent for sure...

Its ever since i installed the processor...

12/10/2012 02:02 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Vegan Likely its due to a cheap PSU

http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/smpsfaq.htm#smpsbuzz

Have had this happen on a small power regulator circuit on a serial port, so it's not always the power supply, however, it does not hurt to try a spare PSU in the place of the original if possible.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Senior Engineering Technician (AEET).

Statistics
88776 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.