Topic Title: APU A8-5500 graphics question....
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/07/2012 12:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/07/2012 12:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SteveW311
Peon

First of all, I have not kept up on the whole computer Biz in a long time.  I was shocked to hear the sales person at Best Buy tell me the CPU is now an APU with both CPU and GPU in one chip.  Thats awesome!  I had a brilliant idea to upgrade the RAM to 14GB from 6GB in my new HP P7-1414 Desktop and just increase the amount of memory on the onboard GPU... But what I am finding out is I can't do this like a MOBO that has an onboard GPU... is that correct?  I am stuck with the 512MB of dedicated memory that the HD Radeon 7560D uses? theres no way to change this, without buying a new graphics card?! 

OR!  Am I way off in thinking any of this is true?!  I feel like a noob all over again. LOL

If I can change this setting, how do I do so on an MSI MS7778 Mobo, Bios verion AMI 8.04?

Thanks in advance... 

12/07/2012 01:08 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

The specs on Best Buy's site list the maximum "video memory" at 3GB, so I'm guessing you can increase it.  However... I'm not sure getting 14GB of memory for that machine will be the best upgrade.  3GB is probably more than that GPU can reasonably make use of before the chip its self gets bogged down.  A 64GB solid state hard drive would cost about the same as another 12GB of memory, and it would probably do a lot more to help increase performance.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

12/14/2012 11:31 PM

Author Icon
ozz77
Peon

Hi SteveW311,

I also have an A8-5500, but what you are proposing to do with your Ram will not help the graphics core at all.

Are you wanting better performance in gaming? If you are wanting more Ram anyway, make sure it is at least DDR3 1866 or higher, as this APU loves Ram speed!!!

If that is the case, you can go "Duel Graphics" and buy a cheap 6570 card and put it into the PCIe slot, then change the setting in the Bios, fire up CCC and enable "Duel Graphics". This should give you about a 75% or more boost in most games.

If you want more performance, then just buy a mid range discrete 7870!

Statistics
89103 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.