Topic Title: FX-8150 on Gigabyte 870A-UD3
Topic Summary: Will it work
Created On: 12/17/2012 01:30 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/17/2012 01:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hansthegerman
Peon

Hi all, I just ordered an FX-8150 as a little christmas present to myself. Currently have a Phenom X2 BE on a Gigabyte 870A-UD3, I have the newest Revision of the board (3.1) so it does support the AM3+ socket. My question is will it support this processor. According to Gigabytes website, the mobo supports up to the 8140(which was never released...), and says absolutely nothing about the 8150 or the 8170. I'm just wondering if anyone has any idea whether the 8150 will be supported or not. I did some comparison between the processors and I see no reason why the 8150 wouldn't work and the 8140 would, just hoping to get some confirmation or if anyone had an ideas on this.

Thanks,

Konrad Dlugowski

edit:

Heres a link to the mobo if it helps anyone,

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3786#

12/17/2012 02:19 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

If it is not listed then odds are, it is not supported and won't be recognized allowing you to post.  I find it odd that they do list an 8140, which never existed in the consumer market....maybe they meant 8150 but the freq they list is off too....you would need to call them and ask for clarification (also, the 8170 never existed either.....it was just part of the consumer rumor-mill). 

Alternatively, I would recommend that you return the 8150 and get the 8350 and a new mobo.....then have some fun with it! 

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

12/17/2012 02:50 PM

Author Icon
hansthegerman
Peon

Yeah I'm not sure, the entire list is weird. I'll try giving  Gigabyte a call but I'm afraid that if their compatability list is so jacked up, Im afraid to find out how helpful their customer service is but ill give it a shot.

I don't want to return this guy because I'm a college student and I got a killer deal on it, which I won't be able to get on the 8350. Worst case scenario I need a new mobo which isn't a huge deal.

If I throw this guy in and it's not supported can I fry the CPU or will it just not post? I'd like to be sure I need a new mobo before I order one. This mobo has done me well for the past 2 years and you know the saying, if it ain't broken, don't fix it.

Edit: So I also started looking for a new mobo and I came across this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128521

The interesting thing is that the compatibility list off the gigabyte website is almost identical to that of mine, and based on the comments, there are several people running 8150's on that mobo, so theoretically, I might actually be able to run the 8150 on my mobo. That said, it appears that the north bridge runs a touch hot with the 8150. What do you guys think? Spend an extra penny and get a sturdy mobo?

Edited: 12/17/2012 at 03:29 PM by hansthegerman
 12/27/2012 08:57 PM

Author Icon
hansthegerman
Peon

So just incase anyone cared, or for the sake of completing the thread.

Gigabyte tech rep replied with "It should be fine in my oppinion"

Uh hu. Being an IT Tech at my school and knowing how. Uhm. Bright, these support people are, I'm gonna go ahead and translate that to "Yeah it'll fry your board"

So I just got a new board. Gonna save the old board and phenom and build myself a media box for the living room.

Thanks for your help Canis-X!

Statistics
87446 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.