Topic Title: Who makes the OEM AM3 cooler?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/22/2012 08:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/22/2012 08:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
harp7trinity
Peon

I bought a A10 the other day and upon seeing the really flimsy factory cooler decided to upgrade but keep the stock cooler profile.

The logical choice is then to get a AM3+ with copper base and heat pipes.

All the ones I have seen for sale were made by SVC who I will assume is the OEM supplier.

The one I bought that arrived today is stamped Cooler Master. It was in a brown box with no markings.

It looks exactly like the SVC in style besides the base plat not having the 4 copper "feet" sticking out.

The fan also does not  have a AMD sticker on it.

It should work fine but the question is, are the new heatpipe coolers being made by Cooler Master for AMD or did I get an aftermarket that was sold as OEM?

Honestly it looks nice and I am sure will work great but in general when you purchase an item you expect to receive what the seller had as a description.

I don't want to complain if it turns out this is the real deal and look foolish thus why I am asking the question here.

12/22/2012 10:31 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

It's made by whoever offers them the cheapest price, and many companies either license designs or contract out to other manufacturers and just slap their sticker on it.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 12/22/2012 11:50 PM

Author Icon
harp7trinity
Peon

Right, but it can be hard to tell sometimes.

All I know is the cooler I just bought which was labeled OEM is a Cooler Master so either I got a recent one and they switched vendors or I was sold an aftermarket version.

It's petty, it still has the copper base with pipes and rententin mechanism.

It is worlds better then the tin can stock FM2 cooler.

Those who buy a new FX processor might find their stock cooler is made by Cooler Master now, if not then SVC still makes them or they are burning out their old stock.

Statistics
84645 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.