Topic Title: FX-8350 bluescreen 101 crashes and cache errors
Topic Summary: Win 7 crashes with FX-8350 under load
Created On: 01/02/2013 02:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/02/2013 02:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
metalbunny
Peon

I got my new machine (as parts, built it myself) in the end of November. But after the latest performance update to Win 7 in the beginning of December, I've been having occasional issues with bluescreen crashes.

At first it was varying errors, but after a BIOS update I get persistent BSOD 101 errors (processor timeout).

Since running iTunes in the background while playing any DirectX based game caused the machine to BSOD, I stopped using itunes. This helped stability somewhat.

But I can still reliably force a crash: Render 1920x1080 video (30 fps, 1 MB/s) in Sony Vegas, with CUDA link enabled, after about 5 minutes Windows will BSOD with error 101.

I've also presistently been having cache errors in the event log.

A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Corrected Machine Check
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor ID: 0

The details view of this entry contains further information.

This entry randomly shows up in the log, more often when I run memory intensive programs.

*I may have incidentially found a solution while typing this*

Someone on overclockers mentioned it may be the Vcore that's too low. Someone else suggested it's the Cool n Quiet that causes the timing to go wonky.

I cranked Vcore up to 1.4 V in BIOS, internal core voltage still listed as 1.2875 V according to AMD Overdrive. I also disabled Cool n Quiet.

Retried rendering video, 15 minute clip. With AMD Overdrive running to monitor the CPU. After about 10 minutes, the internal temp stabilizes at 52 C. Rendering finished after 18 minutes without any crash.

Also have no cache errors in the log after the changes in the BIOS.

My system specs:

Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD80 (AMD FX 990 chipset)

CPU: AMD FX-8350 (running stock speeds, 20x200)

RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600 CL9 in 4x4 configuration (using OC settings to run 1600 MHz), default timings.

GPU: MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 Ti 2 GB OC (factory overclock, heavy air cooler)

PSU: Coolermaster M2 Silent Pro 620 W

HDDs:
WD Caviar SE 640 MB Black Edition 32 MB cache

WD Caviar SE 320 MB 16 MB cache

Seagate 2 TB 32 MB cache (forgot what series)

Optical: LG 16x DVD burner

I had to throw out the PIB cooler because it vibrated so much that the motherboard and HSF mounts came loose. Replaced it with Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro.

OS is Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

EDIT: Typos

01/05/2013 09:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

see the bottom of my article for the hotfix links

-------------------------

Statistics
86413 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.