Topic Title: Black edition CPU wont overclock anymore?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/16/2013 08:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/16/2013 08:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
awi5951
Peon

I been running my 1100T CPU at 4gigs for a year Is it burnt out? I tried to overclock it But now it just blue screens now. I have a crap Biostar Ta990fxe motherboard that i never liked because the components are so close they will heat up you GPU's.

I have a corsair TX850M powersource And i thought it was the problem But after i removed one GPU the same problem happened. My C drive is reporting errors on windows but im not sure if that will stop my PC from blue sceening because i tried to overclock from the motherboard as well and it still crashed. So i wonder if its just my crap biostar motherboard is the issue? The cpu works fine at stock.

Any help will be appreciated.

01/16/2013 09:49 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

overclocking does have an adverse affect on service life

i run my cpu at stock and my video card at sock too

-------------------------

01/17/2013 12:35 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Meh, I ran my 1090T OC'd since I've owned it (4/2010).  I either was running it at 4-4.2GHz on water cooling in the summer or at 4.6GHz on my phase change cooler in the winter.  I retired it to my back up rig and now it is taking it easy running at 3.7GHz on an aftermarket air cooler.  Sounds to me like your OS got corrupted and you need to reinstall it, it happens and actually is not a bad idea to do every so often just to keep things fresh and running smooth.

I'm not all to familiar with BIOSTAR's products but they seem a little on the cheap side so if after trying a fresh OS install if that does fix it I would say that your motherboard is probably the culprit.  Not sure how many phase VRM set up it has but I'm willing to bet that it not quality and therefore probably not delivering clean power to your CPU and RAM.

Other things to look at would be your CPU core temps?  When was the last time that you replaced the thermal grease on your CPU?  Are you using the stock CPU cooler that comes with the CPU.....please say no!  Never OC a CPU using the stock CPU cooler....it is not designed for OC'ing and can cause you issues.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

01/17/2013 08:53 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Overclocking, unless you really pile on the voltage, will not measurably decrease the life of a chip if done on a quality motherboard with multiple phase (common is 8+3) VRMs, which I agree with Canis on is most likely not present on your board. Although some things which you NEED to do when overclocking are to replace the stock HSF and TIM with aftermarket (preferably liquid) cooling and higher quality silver or diamond based TIM, and enable ECC on the CPU caches.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/18/2013 10:20 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

might be an idea to retire the Biostar board in favor of a better one.

i use asus and i have been very happy with the quality and durability of their system boards

i know they cost more, but you get what you pay for.

01/20/2013 05:42 AM

Author Icon
awi5951
Peon

No i have a H 60 water cooler the tems always stay about 47c maybe get up to 51c on load thats it.

01/20/2013 05:45 AM

Author Icon
awi5951
Peon

Thanks for the help guys i never liked this biostar motherboard. I just got in a new 1T hard drive i meant to upgrade anyway i will change it out then the motherboard has to go as well.

Statistics
85784 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.