Topic Title: A10 over heating
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/24/2013 10:51 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/24/2013 10:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

specs > AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz stock heat sink

MSI FM2-A85XA-G65 FM2 AMD A85X

ADATA XPG Gaming Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply

No video cards. i am just using what is in the CPU. and a full ATX case

it is idleing at 50c if i play 2 HD videos open at a time it will hit 80C in a hury. it is only using 20-30% of the CPU to play the videos tho? Temps don't change any weather i have all 4 80mm case fans going or not or even just taking off the side. it still runs hot. also the heat sink on the CPU feels room temp even know i am showing 80c +

stuff as simple as opening a web browser will jump it from 50c to 75-80c in just that short time it takes to open a browser.

any help would be great!

01/24/2013 11:45 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Now are you reading it correctly as explained in the sticky or just reading the CPU socket temp which is wrong quite a bit?

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/25/2013 12:43 AM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion Now are you reading it correctly as explained in the sticky or just reading the CPU socket temp which is wrong quite a bit?

yes it states it could be up to 10* off witch still puts me in the over heating catagory

01/25/2013 01:03 AM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

At idle showing each core

Fan Speed    3340 RPM
Bus Speed    100.0 MHz
Rated Bus Speed    100.0 MHz
Stock Core Speed    3800 MHz
Stock Bus Speed    200 MHz
Average Temperature    50 °C
    Caches
        L1 Data Cache Size    4 x 16 KBytes
        L1 Instructions Cache Size    2 x 64 KBytes
        L2 Unified Cache Size    2 x 2048 KBytes
    Core 0
        Core Speed    1400.1 MHz
        Multiplier    x 14.0
        Bus Speed    100.0 MHz
        Temperature    50 °C
            Thread 1
                APIC ID    0
    Core 1
        Core Speed    1400.1 MHz
        Multiplier    x 14.0
        Bus Speed    100.0 MHz
        Temperature    50 °C
            Thread 1
                APIC ID    1
    Core 2
        Core Speed    2400.1 MHz
        Multiplier    x 24.0
        Bus Speed    100.0 MHz
        Temperature    50 °C
            Thread 1
                APIC ID    2
    Core 3
        Core Speed    1400.1 MHz
        Multiplier    x 14.0
        Bus Speed    100.0 MHz
        Temperature    50 °C
            Thread 1
                APIC ID    3

01/25/2013 08:44 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Then I'd ignore it, at 50°C the heatsink would be getting hot to the touch, and at 70°C you would start getting blue screens.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/25/2013 12:25 PM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion Then I'd ignore it, at 50°C the heatsink would be getting hot to the touch, and at 70°C you would start getting blue screens.

there is probably the million dollar answer!! Now i was worried about the paste on the heat sink because i had a little issue getting the heat sink on flat. i couldn't hook the heatsink on the first side without tiping the heat sink to that side. but there are no blue screens!!

really i don't see anying other then a temp number stating i am over heating. i even tried 3 different temp monitors last night. HWmonitor coretemp and speccy shows temps. all showing something different but speccy seems to be closet to what the BIOS shows.

01/25/2013 06:11 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Easiest way to tell is by running a program like Prime95, which is a power virus which will reveal if there is a problem or not.

01/25/2013 06:56 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: moparfanNow i was worried about the paste on the heat sink because i had a little issue getting the heat sink on flat. i couldn't hook the heatsink on the first side without tiping the heat sink to that side. but there are no blue screens!!

Thermal goo usually won't make a huge difference, so long as you actually can get the heatsink on there properly with good contact you'll probably be alright.

Originally posted by: black_zion Easiest way to tell is by running a program like Prime95, which is a power virus which will reveal if there is a problem or not.

More like, it's extremely resource-intensive and will reveal a problem if there is one.  A virus self-replicates and spreads. Prime95 doesn't do that. 

Testing stability this way can sometimes be like shooting yourself in the foot to see if it will hurt, but the results are often less.... permanent. 

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

01/25/2013 08:52 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

I was using AMDs terminology, which they use to refer to programs which exceed normal usage and pull more power and generate more heat than one would, such as Prime95, OCCT, and Furmark. Using Prime95 is safe, as if the CPU approaches thermal limits it will generate wrong results and stop the test. Maybe if you used it with the A6 with its garbage tiny aluminum heatsink though, but not an A10 with its more capable one.

01/26/2013 02:09 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

That's the idea in theory.  Putting it into practice doesn't always work out that way.  That's not to say it's a bad test and nobody should use it, but only that you can kill things with it if you're not careful.  Even if the CPU survives unharmed other parts of the system may not.  Running a system close to it's breaking point for an extended period of time puts stress on more than just the CPU.  Cooking the VRMs on your board is one of the more likely things that can happen.... or so I imagine.  I mean, it's not like I've ever personally used something like Prime95 to hammer on a system hard enough to break it... I'm just sayin... 

Honestly though... I seriously doubt you found anything from anybody at AMD calling Prime95 a virus.  On the off-chance you did, then you're both wrong.

Prime95 attempts to factor Mersenne numbers.  Factoring integers is a difficult thing to do once the numbers become large.  You're correct in that it's the kind of job that will eat up as much CPU time as you can give it, but there's nothing viral about it.  Typing "cat /dev/urandom > /dev/null" at a linux prompt will do the same thing by simply generating random numbers over and over again until you stop it, but there's nothing viral about that either.

The whole idea of there being such a thing as a power virus is probably less fact and more fiction anyway.  If there's viruses that can infect bluetooth headsets, then someone has probably tried this also, but it's not like there's a magic button to be pushed that somehow stresses a chip beyond 100% usage.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 01/26/2013 at 03:05 AM by Mime
 01/26/2013 05:03 PM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

I guess i see 2 options! so what is the vote? push it with prime95/ AMD overdrive OR contact AMD and see what they have to say? maybe another idea?

this is a new build (3 days old) bought from newegg that claims to have a 30day replacement on the parts i ordered. (probably need to make sure before pushing it) but yea if im going to break something i hope it is before the 30 days are up

01/26/2013 08:49 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Might as well give Prime95 a try.  I'd keep an eye on it for the first 10 minutes or so just to make sure nothing too dramatic happens.  If all appears well, and your heatsink doesn't feel like you could cook an egg on it, then you're probably in the clear.

Troll Hunter

01/26/2013 08:58 PM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

Originally posted by: Mime Might as well give Prime95 a try.  I'd keep an eye on it for the first 10 minutes or so just to make sure nothing too dramatic happens.  If all appears well, and your heatsink doesn't feel like you could cook an egg on it, then you're probably in the clear.

This APU will throttle back by defuilt if it starts to get to hot right? i can atlest watch the speed and maybe get a heads up something is going wrong?

01/26/2013 09:19 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

In theory it will.... but again, I wouldn't depend on the chip throttling back in order not to kill its self.  Thermal throttling has been around for a while now, and there's still lots of dead CPUs in the world that were killed by too much heat.

I'd just pay attention to the machine for the first few minutes of the test.  It doesn't take long for temperatures to stabilize, so it shouldn't take long to see if there's going to be any fireworks.    I doubt there will be... chances are your sensors are wiggy and the machine will be fine.

Troll Hunter

01/26/2013 10:21 PM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

well i desided to be a little bit of a chicken and run a 1 min stability test using AMD overdrive. Speccy showed my CPU hit 90c while AMD overdrive said i made it to 38c LMFAO!!! core one would back out of "turbo mode" for a split second but mostly they all stayed at 4,000 never hitting the full "turbo" of 4200. i guess i don't see any throttleing yet. I'm still a little scared pushing it tho lol for that 1 min tho i put my hand on the heatsink and feeling a cool heatsink but some heat from under the heatsink. (between the board and heatsink.) this kinda makes me feel like the paste is not doing its job and heat is not getting transfered. that may be because of my rookie crappy install of the heat sink. With some experiance with heat transfer i just don't feel like it is happening as good as it should.

so i think i will atlest ease my mind by replacing the paste. i already ordered some for another computer and it will be here monday.

01/26/2013 10:38 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

That all sounds normal to me(except for the 38 vs 90 weirdness), but yeah, it can't hurt to redo the goo and see what happens then.

Troll Hunter

01/26/2013 11:01 PM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

Originally posted by: Mime That all sounds normal to me(except for the 38 vs 90 weirdness), but yeah, it can't hurt to redo the goo and see what happens then.

i did another 1 min test this time with my BIOS for windows open and it showed the temp made it up to 50c while AMD still went up to 38 and speccy again hitting 90c. this time around tho all 4 cores had jumped down to 3400 once.

some more maybe helpfull info. BIOS temp goes up smooth and so does AMD but speccy JUMPS up to over 80c within seconds. HWmonitor under CPU shows that crazy spike up in temps just like speccy does."if" the spike is real that would say poor heat transfer if not then it maybe a wacky sensor? or is spikes like that normal?

01/27/2013 01:07 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
Nanotechnology Guru

Sensor errors. It could never survive 90°C and would cause a crash long before then due to thermal safeguards.

01/27/2013 02:11 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Speccy and HWmonitor probably don't completely understand how to read temperatures from your chip quite yet, either.  Computers in general don't handle ambiguity very well, and tend to do crazy things when it happens.

Troll Hunter

01/27/2013 02:57 AM

Author Icon
moparfan
Peon

yea i desided to read some of the newer reviews on newegg and it looks like a few people got a bad one claiming AMD said they had a bad batch?? I guess just another thing to make me wonder on. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=19-113-280&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Page=4#scrollFullInfo

After looking up other stuff for my BIOS in the manual i noticed something very interesting! every pic in the manual of the BIOS screen shows the CPU 77c and up! WOW right? check it out http://us.msi.com/product/mb/FM2-A85XA-G65.html#/?div=Manual

then i desided to dig around rewatch some videos look at some pics with the A 10 APU and noticed most of the videos/pics with my setup the BIOS showed some high numbers. humm now i am really thinking I have no need to worry and the stupid sensors are all off! Some one really needs slapped!! haha this is one big headack and i'm sure i ant the only one. Even some reviews like these say they have problems with temp readings. http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2047/18/ and this one http://www.overclockers.com/amd-trinity-a10-5800k-apu-review

but i will still stay on track and put the new paste on there and report back what i find. if it don't fry with a longer stress test i may just buy a aftermarket cooler (just because i would feel better inside haha) and remove all temp monitering programs off the computer so i can't stress my self over it haha

if nothing els this thread will go to help all others searching the same problem.

Also i wanted to give a BIG thanks to you guys for all the help so far!

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » A10 over heating

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
80928 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.