Topic Title: Kaveri socket
Topic Summary: socks
Created On: 02/05/2013 08:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/05/2013 08:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AoyagiAichou
Peon

No forum posts on the upcoming hopefully-star? I'm surprised.

Anyway, I've been considering an upgrade for a while (as my computer is slowly dying) but I do want to get a Kaveri APU, when it comes out. So what I'm very interested in right now is what socket is it going to use. All I heard was rumors of using FM2, using FM3, FM3 with FM2 backwards support and someone even suggested AM3, but I don't see that happening.

So, is there anyone knowledgable enough?

02/11/2013 10:59 AM

Author Icon
AoyagiAichou
Peon

And here is one of the "definitive rumors".

http://technewspedia.com/amd-socket-fm2-bear-the-kaveri-apu/

And something more recent:

http://lensfire.in/25341/news/amd-kaveri-apu-will-use-fm3-socket-but-supports-fm2/

Edited: 02/11/2013 at 11:06 AM by AoyagiAichou
 02/11/2013 02:29 PM

Author Icon
csas25
Nerfed

Of course it will be socket FM2, why would AMD ***** out new sockets every new architectures.. ?

02/11/2013 02:58 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Sometimes they don't have a choice.  Adding or modifying certain features of the chip(like the integrated memory controller) can change the pin arrangement leading to a new socket, and keeping the same socket for a while doesn't always ensure compatibility anyway.  Back in the Athlon XP days Socket A stuck around for years, and not every Socket A board could support any socket A chip.

Whether or not that's going to happen here... I dunno.  There has been talk of Kaveri supporting "fully shared" memory between the CPU and the integrated GPU, but there hasn't been many details about exactly how that's going to be implemented in hardware.

Since nobody can see the future, I think the best you're going to get is a definite maybe. 

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

02/12/2013 03:20 AM

Author Icon
AoyagiAichou
Peon

Originally posted by: csas25 Of course it will be socket FM2, why would AMD ***** out new sockets every new architectures.. ?

By that logic, we'd still be on A or AM3.

Originally posted by: Mime Since nobody can see the future, I think the best you're going to get is a definite maybe.

Yeah, well I can't tell my potentially new board to consider this view . I wish AMD had some news about it.

02/12/2013 12:20 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Yeah it's an annoying game trying to anticipate unreleased hardware.  That's why I don't do it. 

If we knew that Kaveri might be released next week that might be different, but without a release date or many details of how things will shake out, and since the changes from one round to the next are rarely a night and day kind of thing... there would have to be a very good reason to make me wait for it.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
85556 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.