Topic Title: Extremely low FPS after computer is on for a while.
Topic Summary: Please help, this has been plaguing me for months.
Created On: 02/18/2013 06:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/18/2013 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xAmore
Peon

Graphics Card
NVidia Geforce GTX 460

Operating System
64 bit Windows 7 6.1 build 7601

Motherboard:

Asus CM1630

Issue Details
Sometimes I'll boot up a game and find the framerate so low that it's completely unplayable. Anywhere from 6 to 12. The games I've experienced it on are WoW, LoL, GTAIV, literally everything I've played in the past several months. This is probably the worst PC issue I've ever had in my 8 years using computers. There is literally (that I know of) no way at all to tell why this is happening. Sometimes it happens when my computer's on for a lengthy period, sometimes it's after a couple hours. There's not a single solitary variable that tells me why this is happening. The problem only goes away after a reboot, and a reboot ALWAYS fixes it.

Applications and Games
Every game I have. LoL, DoTA, GTA, WoW, anything.

CPU Details
AMD Athlon II X2 220 Dual Core

Motherboard BIOS Version

System Memory Type & Amount
4 GB RAM

This has been causing problems for me as long as I can remember, and I am completely lost. The only thing I'm even remotely considering is that it's a youtube related problem. The problem only seems to arise when I've watched a video at some point, but how the hell can I pinpoint that, it's 2013. If my computer's on, there's probably been a video watched at some point.

I am completely lost.

EDIT: Disabled Cool 'n Quiet, if that doesn't do the trick I'll just save my pennies and upgrade my CPU. This is definitely not the first AMD product I've had issues with, assuming it's the CPU that is.

Edited: 02/18/2013 at 06:47 PM by xAmore
 02/19/2013 07:42 PM

Author Icon
Immortal Lobster
Forum Moderator

How are your temperatures? download a program called coretemp, tell us, or better yet, post a screenshot of what it says. check it after it gets unstable.

[edit]Might be the GPU temps as well, download his instead: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/pc-wizard.html

-------------------------

02/19/2013 08:02 PM

Author Icon
xAmore
Peon

Temperatures are fine, checked all that out months ago. I went in and disabled Cool 'n Quiet in the bios, and I have a feeling that will fix it. I'll report back here if it doesn't.

02/21/2013 10:55 AM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

I can't see C'nQ being the couse but it won't hurt to check and see.

To me this looks like you got something turnning on in the background and eating up your resources I would check Resource Monitor when your pc starts slowing down.

Also I would download and run MSI afterburner wile playing a game to see what you gpu is doing

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

02/21/2013 11:34 AM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Sounds almost like your GPU is getting stuck in a 2D power state and not being released when you start a 3D game, but I don't think that it is a CPU issue per say.  To confirm though, when you experience this open up task manager (performance tab) and see if your CPU and/or RAM is being all used up by another process.

When was the last time that you upgraded your graphics card drivers.....and did you choose the Custom install > Clean install option?  I would highly recommend that you do that.

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

02/22/2013 10:25 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Case Modder

backup your files and install Windows fresh

Statistics
80972 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.