Topic Title: AMD FX 8350 Black Screenin' Under Stress
Topic Summary: My PC is crashing (black screen) during high load using the FX-8350
Created On: 03/04/2013 10:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/04/2013 10:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sb743
Peon

Hello, I'd like help to solve this certain predicament, but I'm getting fed up and I'm just here for some help and/or advice.

I recently purchased an AMD FX-8350, an upgrade from my AMD Phenom X6 1090t, and I've been having nothing but issues with it. This is the second 8350 that I've gotten, as the first I mistakenly RMA'd back to Newegg thinking it was bad.

The issue is that my PC keeps hard crashing (black screen) at random times, no bluescreen, no errors, just working then BAM- Black Screen. It's been a little more than annoying, seeing as I needed the extra power for my programs (streaming, hosting game servers), and I just need this thing to work.

I've tried it all, tweaking CPU/Northbrige/RAM clock rates, the voltages, the random bios settings, running memtest and swapping ram around, swapping out the PSU, and all have gotten me nowhere, it still will randomly cause the BS ('s what I'm calling it now). It'll happened even quicker under stress, such as streaming or using torture tests such as prime95, OCCT, etc.

I should note that the 1090t worked just fine, even when overclocked, on this system. I can't image why, maybe both CPU's are doa, or maybe my mobo is shot. I just need help in determining why this is happening, so I can just get on with my life 'ere.

My System Specs are as follows:

OS: Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit, Service Pack 1 Build 7601
CPU Fan: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 120mm
RAM: 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 1600 DDR3
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 ATX AMD
GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 SuperClocked Edition
HDD(s): 2 Western Digital 7200RPM 2TB, 1TB
PSU: OCZ ZT Series Fully-Modular 750W
Misc includes a CD drive, 5 usb devices, 2 PCI 1x Capture Cards.

I've tried so much to get this thing to work, but I'm just at wits-end here. My inexperience prob shows, but that's what learning's for, right? I tried looking around, but nothing I read seemed to help my case. I'm gonna keep trying different settings and see if I can get it to not crash, but I don't hold high hopes. I really don't have the cash to get another MOBO, and it might just be that, or the RAM.

Thanks for the help in advance -Sam

03/05/2013 07:19 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Button Masher

What revision is your MB?  I have a UD7...  but it is a Rev 1.0 and as such it does NOT have LLC (Load Line Calibration).  Without LLC there is a massive V-Droop on the V-core voltage when under load.  Run a stress test and monitor your v-core.  OCCT is an all in one app that will do both for you.

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

03/05/2013 06:28 PM

Author Icon
sb743
Peon

Yeah, I found out about this a few hours after I posted this thread, my Mobo is indeed a rev 1.0, and it doen't have LLC...

I DID however get it stable, I think, at 3.4Ghz at 1.2V. In its current state, it's barley more powerful than the 1090t, but it'll have to suffice until I get a new Motherboard. Sucks.

Is there any way to get this thing to 4.0 and stable on this machine? The whole reason I bought the CPU instead of the origional plan of, err, "going blue" was because of the price, I didn't have the cash to drop on both a new cpu and mobo like that. I already upgraded the MB back when I first got the 1090t, now I gotta do it again for the FX...

Well, thanks anyway, though if anyone has any suggestions of good mobo's that take the FX chip and can really make 'er scream, lemmie know. I'll just have to wait for a few weeks for the money, is all.

03/05/2013 10:20 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Button Masher

Be sure to have the latest BIOS for your board...  It should support your CPU just fine.  If you still have crashes you may need to set your v-core a bit higher.  It will get a little warmer at idle, but under load the voltage should still stay high enough not to crash the system.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

03/06/2013 09:46 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Button Masher

Okay after doing a little more digging (since I have suffered 2 restarts myself in the last few weeks) and a little more OCCT work I have found that on my rev 1.0 board (without LLC) I need to set my v-core to 1.425 (+0.100) in the BIOS so that when under load the v-core stays at >1.26.  This was with everything set on Auto in the BIOS (except for my RAM and it's voltage of course).  LLC is not a must with these chips, but it sure makes things easier...  and a little cooler when the CPU is not under a load.

Sitting here typing this my v-core is 1.34-1.36....  as soon as I hit start on the stress test it will fall to 1.26...  if you start going below that there is a greater and greater chance of BSOD, Freeze or simple crash.  So to avoid this I need to set a BIOS v-core of 1.425 (+0.100)...  Hope this helps

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

03/06/2013 08:37 PM

Author Icon
sb743
Peon

Well, I did try upvolting before, and it still crashed at those numbers. The only time it DIDN'T was at 1.55, and that just made it so prime95 almost melted my NB and CPU, so I killed it early and dropped the voltage after a minute. I'll try again, but I suspect my mobo of being a dud 'ere.

Could something else cause these crashes? Because even now, at 3.4Ghz at 1.35V, it can still crash, but here's the weird thing: It was stable for a full TWO days of streaming (pushing it to 100%), hosting servers, playin' cpu expensive games, etc. Prime95 was even stable, however the moment I tried to open up a seperate program during the torture tests (usually that incurred the UAC), it caused a blackscreen. The voltages were "fluctuating a bit, but I'm not sure how bad. http://gyazo.com/bcb8e00515e0f26629eeb318d5735fb4. Could it be a fluke, or is all crashes an indication of a serious issue?

I'll try something else, but It might just be something else I'm missing. Doubt it's the PSU, as I changed my old 700W with a new 750W, unless they're both bad. But thanks for the help man, I'm learning stuff in this process, and it is interesting.

EDIT: I also have the latest bios (kinda hard NOT to, seeing as the latest updates allow the FX to work in the first place).

UPDATE: I've purchased a more modern, feature-filled motherboard, and this should solve my issues. Went ASUS this time, and the reviews were more than glowing. Will report back, but I'm pretty sure I got this issue taken care of.

UPDATE II: Yup, the new ASUS mobo is amazing, and everything is workin' fine, I even got it OC'd to 4.5 with stock volts, and I'll try to push it even higher. Thanks for the help, but you can't always beat upgrading to the better hardware.

Edited: 03/12/2013 at 05:50 AM by sb743
Statistics
81149 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.