Topic Title: Using not approved water cooling
Topic Summary: Can I use non approved water cooling system
Created On: 03/05/2013 04:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2013 04:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wrxguy
Peon

Hello,

I have Asus L1N64-SLI WS motherboard with two Athlon 64 FX-74 CPUs.

I have build water cooling system myself, then I have disabled the FANs in BIOS. Now I can start the PC without fans (just for testing keeping an eye on the CPU's temps). Unfortunately as soon as I remove the heat sync that came with the CPUs, and place my water block, the system starts for short time, and then shuts down.

I have 2 questions.

1. Why is this happening? Is that some kind of build-in protection?

2. If there is such protection, is there any way to remove it?

Thank you

03/05/2013 05:45 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

It wasn't so long ago that all watercooling was "unapproved". 

So yeah, there's probably just some RPM monitoring going on that's freaking out because it thinks a fan has died and is forcing a shutdown.  Take a look though the manual for your board for exactly what the BIOS option is that is controlling that and turn it off.  That should do it.

If by some chance the RPM monitoring is hard-wired, and can't be disabled in the BIOS, then you can probably bypass it just by hooking up any temperature controlled fan to the CPU fan headers on your board.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

03/05/2013 09:48 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

eVGA has been known to sell high end cards with factory installed water blocks

AMD has some rather hot running GPUs but I have not seen water cooled cards from anyone yet.

Personally I am not into water cooling. CFX/SLI can provide better game performance.

That or wait for the next gen gear.

03/05/2013 11:11 PM

Author Icon
wrxguy
Peon

Hi Mime,

I think you didn't read my post carefuly.

I have disabled the fans in the BIOS (folowing instructions from ASUS support), and now I can start my PC without fans connected.

My problem is that my PC shuts down when heat sink is removed. I don't see any relation to motherboard.

03/06/2013 08:37 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

The GPU fans are run from a controller on the card itself

03/06/2013 12:12 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: wrxguy Hi Mime,

I think you didn't read my post carefuly.

I have disabled the fans in the BIOS (folowing instructions from ASUS support), and now I can start my PC without fans connected.

My problem is that my PC shuts down when heat sink is removed. I don't see any relation to motherboard.

In that case, then you probably don't have the waterblock mounted properly, and instead of RPM monitoring there's some temperature monitor which is freaking out.  The machine isn't "detecting" that you've got a waterblock on instead of a heatsink since it's got no way of knowing what kind of cooling you're using.  Some other alarm in the BIOS must be getting tripped in order to cause the shutdown.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
84883 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.