Topic Title: FX-4100 Overheating under full load
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/26/2013 06:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/26/2013 06:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
disfear
Peon

**newbie warning**

I've purchased a new pc 3 months ago. It's has an Fx-4100 CPU (with stock fan) running on an ASUS m5a78l-mlx v2 mobo with 500 w psu.
Recently I've had some temp issues, I felt i could literally fry eggs on the top of my case under full load, but i didnt cared so much since everything worked fine. (first mistake)

I used the pc mainly for some photo and video edit stuff (Adobe CS6), rendering 1080hd etc...it just worked well. (even i had it on sometimes overnight when compiling a one-hour dvd project)

But today during rendering a h264 fullhd project the pc shut downed after 10 minutes. Next time i checked it with core temp and hwmonitor, and here are the results:
-At idle i have 25-35 degrees (C°. When browsing, wathcing youtube, downloading its 40-55 degrees. Watching HD movies it's 55-60 degrees, and the top of the case starts frying my scrumbed eggs (or whatever)

-when i just work in Adobe Premiere it's 60-65 degrees. but here comes the rendering: first it starts at 65-70 degrees, then in every second or two it raises one degrees till the max...

So I dont know whats the case. i've checked my bios (ami 0902), i have auto settings (i dont know what will be the most suitable) everywhere...but i dont really think its normal, even APPro CS6 is a CPU heavy app,  a month ago i could do an overnight render...(and back in the old times i could do all the same with a core2duo without these issues).

Thank you all guys. Even i attached a screenshot.screenshot

I would really appreciate your help, I'll probably go back to my retailer though i still have all the warranties, but i dont really want to look stupid when talking with them....

04/27/2013 11:42 AM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

if the top of your case is getting hot that's a pretty good sign that you don't have enough air flow going though your case.

-------------------------

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

04/27/2013 05:56 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I would suggest a better chassis such as the Corsair Carbide 300R which has fan bays galore to cope with the heat of even 2 graphics cards and an overclocked CPU

04/28/2013 06:01 AM

Author Icon
disfear
Peon

So you're suggesting that the heating of the top of my case more indicates  problem with the air flow inside my case and not the cpu heat sink?

04/28/2013 01:07 PM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

Bad air flow could be one of the reasons another reason could be (which i just thought of) is the psu. if the psu is at the top of your case this can couse the top of your case to get hot but if its really getting hot like what your saying then your psu could be bad or overloaded.

But I'm only guessing here since i don't know what make and model of pc your have so a little mor info on your system would help.

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

04/28/2013 02:10 PM

Author Icon
disfear
Peon

yeah should've thought you mentioned the overheating of the top 'cuz the psu:] and i should've mentioned more details:

I've got a kolink cxacl07a case, with the psu AT THE BOTTOM, and the CPU near the top, I've got a case vent on the front side....however i tried flowing with another vent sidewards, but the same overheating occured when running prime95 (1-2 degrees up/1-2 minutes)...

04/28/2013 02:30 PM

Author Icon
disfear
Peon

one fact ( i dont know if it is relevant): in aida64/mobo/bios/bios setup (atk) it says= CPU ratio: 22x

coretemp, hwmonitor and windows says 18x, and the speeds measured are relevant to the 18x

06/09/2013 03:29 AM

Author Icon
prasadkiri
Peon

I want to know if your booting to windows is slow b.coz i find my system booting slow ....i hav 8 gb of transcend ram ,win 7 ultimate 64 bit , 2 gb of HD 6450 graphics card

06/22/2013 06:51 AM

Author Icon
Bulldog64
Peon

Check your CPU stats like ratio, speed with CPU-Z. You can get it off same site with HWMonitor. As long as you are not way overclocking your CPU it sounds like your case doesn't have enough airflow as the other replys are saying. If you are thinking about a different case I would suggest the Cool Master Cases. They are very well made and depending on your system growth plans the right model will allow you to grow your system as much as your wallet allows. When I built my current system I went with the Cool Master 840. It is a beast in size. Its made out of metal and has more bays in it for extra disk drives or what ever than I'll use for quite a while. I've moded it alot- I put in a lexan side window and replaced all the 200mm Cool Master fans with higher output NXT 200mm fans. I am also using 2 liquid cooling pumps in it. When you plan your system try to figure out what your needs are going to be expansion wise for at least 5 years. My case is not for everyone because it is a Beast in size. I installed rollers on the bottom to move it around because it is heavy. I think the two areas that people don't give enough thought to when they put their systems together are power requirements, the right power supply, and the correct case and cooling for the system. Power and cooling have a lot to do with the failure rates in systems.

Phenom II 965 BE,ASUS Crosshair V Formula, 2X4GB G.Skill PC3-17000, EFX 6850 HD BE, 2XVelociRaptor 300GB RAID 0, 2x1TB Segate 7200RPM RAID 0, Pioneer Blu-Ray, Cool Master 840 case+ NXT 3X 200mm Fans, WC: 2XSwifttech 50 PSI pumps in Series to CPU
Statistics
84730 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.