Topic Title: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Bluescreens/overheating(?)
Topic Summary: 2 pc's with this cpu, both bluescreening/overheating
Created On: 05/28/2013 05:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/28/2013 05:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
archy
Peon

PC #1 (mine)

Graphics Card
-Nvidia Geforce 560 GTX

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
-Nvidia not Radeon, but it's up to date and I've been through several driver updates throughout this issue.

Operating System
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, non-ultimate 32-bit had the same issue.

Issue Details
- CPU is up over 70c at high load, shows about 60c on the mobo/cpu temp.
- Computer bluescreens every 2~4 days, sometimes twice in a day sometimes it won't bluescreen for a week and a half regardless of any games/applications I run or use.

- Most games that I play run a LOT slower than they should, main recent ones being planetside 2 and warframe. There are also weird issues with games like WoW where I will randomly chug at 10fps then it'll go back up to 60+. The reason I list this is I've read this cpu is as powerful as certain i7's and my gpu is maybe 1 generation behind from what I understand...when I told a tech guy about this he said it was very weird.

~Bluescreen says Uncorrectable hardware failure, error code is 0x0000000000124 (probably more 0's in there).

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- MSI something, I honestly don't remember and I cannot find the box for it. It had amazing ratings on newegg when I bought it though and the RAM fits the slots/it's the right speed/etc.

Power Supply

- Rocketfish 550w

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- 2 Acer monitors, used 1 for a week or so and it still did it.

Applications and Games

- Any games cause the bluescreen, I've had it bluescreen at 55c on idle several times before though so I have no idea if the overheating is the cause of the bluescreens but I doubt it.

CPU Details
- AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black edition

~http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Motherboard BIOS Version
- Busy right now but I will check later, I'm pretty sure it's not updated to the latest one.

System Memory Type & Amount
- 4gb DDR2 or 3 (forget sorry) 1066mhz don't remember brand but it had good ratings and fit in the motherboard just fine, 256-pin and whatnot.

Additional Hardware
- Hard drive is a WD caviar black 1tb drive. I original thought that me and my brother's hard drive had both gone back though he has a different one and his actually crashed on him...but he got a new one (different from mine) and it still bluescreens/overheats/etc. as well.

No extra things plugged in anywhere really besides mouse/keyboard...

Additional Details
- What I have done to try and fix this thus far :

Updated/downgraded to various graphics updates, Using different hard drives, reformatting hard drive, turning off unecessary programs, cleaning out dust, repositioning cpu, opening the side of the case and putting a fan blowing into it at various angles (temps went down by maybe 2c but it still bluescreened), ran with only one monitor.

- Other weird things : It only started bluescreening the day after I installed my new hard drive. I heard a clicking sound so I figured my old one that was still in there was bad...took it out clicking stopped but bs's continued. I bluescreened about 2 times in the 6 months before I had gotten this new hard drive as well and if the hard drive were bad I'm assuming it would have more problems than just bluescreening? I don't know.

PC #2 (brother's pc)

Graphics Card
- Nvidia Geforce GTX 550 TI

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- nvidia, he has updated his drivers many times throughout.

Operating System
- Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit, he has had non-ultimate 32-bit on there before and same problem.

Issue Details
Same problem as me, overheating beyond 70c on load and constant bluescreens though he has them a lot more frequently than I do. He is constantly using skype + gaming usually though and I only do that about half the time he does..maybe more than half.
- Weird thing : He runs games a lot smoother than I do 95% of the time.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- ASUS M5A97

Power Supply

- Corsair CX500 500w

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- 2 Acer monitors, same as me, he has tried using only 1 for a very extended period of time though.

Applications and Games

- Random, doesn't matter what game or application, though it happens more often when he runs full 3d games like bf3. GTA4 is usually a surefire way to test if he still is bluescreening after we change parts/settings/etc. though.

CPU Details
- Same as me, AMD Phenom X6 1090T Black edition

~http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103849

Motherboard BIOS Version
- He updated to...1.02? Whatever the newest one is. Before and after update he still bsod's though.

System Memory Type & Amount
- 8gb corsair vengeance, I believe it's around 1200mhz.

Additional Hardware
- He recently switched hard drives for the third time, still bluescreens, he is using a WD Caviar green 1tb now and it had decent reviews from what I saw.

-Compared to me he has an amazing case, some giant coolermaster monstrosity that was around 120 bucks or so...it's supposed to be incredibly good for airflow and the fans all run fine for him.

Additional Details
- Things he has tried to do to fix the bsod's :

- Reformat, various hard drives, making his room about 50 degrees in the winter time by blowing a fan from the outside air inside, he's tried different ram a few times, I believe he has switched psu's once, and...probably other stuff I don't know about.

-His bsod's started when he put in his mobo + cpu (the phenom).

Any ideas appreciated, might try to call support at some point when I have time I just have a feeling they're going to want me to do X which requires me to take my computer apart and possibly not have it working for a while...so I figured I'd ask here first.

05/28/2013 06:27 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Error 0x024 (or 0x00000024) is caused by a corrupted NTFS.sys file, so boot into the recovery mode and run chkdisk. Also, your Rocketfish PSU a.k.a. Time Bomb is a piece of crap and needs to be replaced ASAP.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 05/28/2013 06:43 PM

Author Icon
archy
Peon

It wasn't 024, it was 0124...and it says uncorrectable hardware error at the top...I would assume that means there's a problem with hardware.

Rocketfish is a bad brand then eh? I'd rather get some more responses before I spend money I don't have to replace something that I have no idea if it's causing my issues or not.

05/28/2013 07:06 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Alpha Geek

I use Corsair, expensive but worth it

05/29/2013 11:33 AM

Author Icon
Slayerx
Button Masher

The first thing I would do is download and run CPU-Z.

This will tell you everything you need to know about your motherboard, ram, cpu's clock speed, voltage etc.

Then run prime95 and any program that will allow you to monitor the core temp (not the cpu temp) and the cpu's voltage in real time. I find that AOD works really good for this.

if it crashes during this test then it's either the cpu or the ram or both

FX 8320// Asus Sabertooth R2.0 // HIS R9 280x //8Gb of 1866Mhz ram, H50 cooling, HX850W psu all stuffed into a NZXT Phantom case.

Was a member of AMD Processer forum since 2008. Last post count 1818.

Edited: 05/29/2013 at 11:43 AM by Slayerx
 06/01/2013 12:27 PM

Author Icon
archy
Peon

Alright so idk what you wanted me to do with cpu-z...lol

However I ran prime95, I have no idea if I used the program right I just ran it and it says no work loaded? Idk, but I bluescreened shortly after...so I'm assuming that means ram or cpu then.

How would I go about seeing which of the 2 it is? I don't exactly have unlimited funds around here xD

06/01/2013 12:55 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Memtest86+ checks for memory errors, it's pretty common to have a RAM stick go bad, and quality RAM carries a lifetime replacement warranty. You can use Prime95 on Small FFT to test one core at a time to see if you have a faulty CPU, but my money is on a duff RAM stick.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/02/2013 11:59 AM

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

Hi after ram and hardware is in a pc for awhile the contacts may get some oxidation on them. So the first thing to do is pull out the ram video card and any other cards you have, use a eraser to clean the contacts on the ram video card and what ever else then blow out the slots they all fit in reinstall the ram video card and boot see if it helps. Just to say I have had sound cards video cards and Ram not even recognised but after they are cleaned they work fine and it cost's nothing to do this hehe.

MSI Mpower Max, I7-4770K, MSI GTX 780 Lightning, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3-2400, 2X Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB , 1Tb Raptor, Creative ZXR Sound, 1000 watt Coolermaster Single 80 amp Rail, G700s Mouse, Z5500 Speakers
 06/04/2013 05:04 PM

Author Icon
archy
Peon

So my brother ran prime95 on his as well and bluescreened after about 2 minutes. He's already tried taking out half his ram and testing both sticks that he has seperately but bluescreened still so most likely the problem is that we both got a bad cpu that just happens to be the same model? Seems really odd especially since I've searched around and not found anybody saying they have issues with this cpu bluescreening/overheating/etc.

I have read from some that the heatsink it comes with sucks but that you shouldn't be getting over 60c~ with that. My brother has incredibly good airflow in his case and I've tried opening mine up and putting a fan to it to create an enormous amount of airflow but we both still go over 70c at load no matter what we do. I'm just going to assume that it's a coincidence we both got bad cpu's.

Though I haven't tried the memtest on my computer yet (been busy lately) but I'll try to get it burnt and such to test that out though I'm doubting that's it.

Statistics
88897 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.