Topic Title: PC Per Core Usage (8 Core)
Topic Summary: Will the XBox One(8 core CPU), PS4(8 core CPU) be held back like PC's have?
Created On: 06/19/2013 09:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/19/2013 09:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
vdkok
Peon

Hi everyone

I asked a question in another forum but I'm not convinced the answer that was returned was 100% accurate.

The question asked was.

"Don't shoot me for this line of thinking!.
Some PC's have 6 and 8 core AMD processor's. This part is debatable, they don't get used fully..... Mine only uses 50% at best, FACT.
Oh, Xbox One has an 8 core AMD processor, almost the same as the one I have.
Oh, PS4 is has an 8 core AMD processor, almost the same as the one I have.
Would PC owners running 6 and 8 core AMD CPU's gain anything(in terms of game performance) from this proposed change.
"

The return answer was from a professional programmer. His reply was.

"FACT - I coded the -dx11mt prototype for scaling across multi-core on DX11 : I based this code of Alistair Murray's command buffer model from our Xbox 360 engine. On PS4/Xbox One that solution will scale linearly because it isn't shackled by the Windows driver model. So 50% usage that you quote will scale to 100% for 6 core and more with other cores mixing with the OS threads and physics or audio. I have no doubt that we'd reach 80%+ saturation on a first version for a new platform which is pretty f*cking good?! "

What I would like to know is his answer accurate?

Do PC owners with AMD 8 cores get handicapped by windows?

Please could someone explain the situation as to why all games never seem to go much above 50% usage on my 8 Core CPU.

regards

Vic

-------------------------

if you find a fix make one final post and let others know before you go

Edited: 06/19/2013 at 10:00 AM by vdkok
 06/19/2013 01:18 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

For all eight cores to be used, the workload would have to be split into eight threads.  And integer threads at that, since Bulldozer+ AMD parts have only four cores from a floating point perspective.

Beyond that, a game also requires the GPU to do some work.  If the GPU is working as fast as it can already, the overall CPU load won't go up with better threading.

With the new consoles using PC-like processors, games written for them will be better threaded in the conventional sense, which should translate into fewer (or zero) CPU bottlenecks in the PC versions of those games.

As for the driver model hampering performance in Windows, that's pretty much true.  nVidia is a bit ahead in this, by supporting DX11 command lists.  I expect AMD will have increased motivation to support that properly now.

06/19/2013 08:03 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Pretty much what Thanny said. But a lot of it still has to do with the developer. Since consoles will be traditional x86 there will be no handicap by porting it to a PC, BUT at the same time it does not mean that they will code the game to be able to fully take advantage of all the resources available. Just look at some of the primarily PC games which have been released over the past few years such as Crysis. I think we can expect higher quality games since the new APUs in the XBOX One and PS4 are pretty capable chips, and with them being x86 the same as PCs it will help a lot, but it's still going to depend on the developer.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 06/20/2013 05:58 AM

Author Icon
vdkok
Peon

Thank you for your replies guys/girls.

""For all eight cores to be used, the workload would have to be split into eight threads.  And integer threads at that, since Bulldozer+ AMD parts have only four cores from a floating point perspective.""

So does this mean my CPU is in fact a 4 core where games are concerned?.

Are the new proccesor in the new consoles the same with the floating points been on only 4 out of 8 cores?.

I have two PC's one has a 4 core phenom II 965 BE and a gtx 670, this particular game runs this system flat out, 98% on the CPU and 99% on the GPU.

The other has the AMD (Pilrdriver) FX-8320 and 2x gtx 670's, the game runs the CPU at 50% and the GPU's at 75-99%. The CPU still runs at 50% even when I remove one of the GPU's. Is this because of the floating point thing or is there something else at play here like the game engine is designed to work more efectivly on a 4 core system like the Xbox 360/PS3

Is there any games out there that use 8 core CPU's more efectivly?

Sorry to keep asking questions

if you find a fix make one final post and let others know before you go

06/20/2013 02:52 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Think of it as a 4 Bulldozer Module/4 Floating Point Processor/8 Integer Processor unit, as each Bulldozer Module is made of 1 floating point and 2 integer processors. Games are more integer calculation heavy so they have less of a tendency to be bottlenecked by the single shared floating point unit. Conversely scientific applications and even media encoding software is floating point heavy, so they can be bottlenecked by the single shared floating point unit.

However very few home and office programs (games included) are able to use more than 4 cores efficiently, so the per-core speed is paramount. In server and HPC applications, they are actually coded to be able to take advantage of as many cores as possible, which is why 8, 12, and 16 core chips are common even though each individual core runs at a slower speed than their desktop counterparts.

With consoles going x86 and having access to a much more capable chip than ever before, we should see the newer games start being able to actually use the available resources more efficiently.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
Statistics
87646 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.