Topic Title: fx 8350 over heat or what ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/11/2013 12:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/11/2013 12:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
acepro71
Peon

ok so i have fx 8350 

which i just bought  so i was wondering does it auto shuts down when it reaches 90 c

cause when i play games it easily gets up to 75 to 85 C

i am running it on stock clocks with stock cooler 

and also can u tell me whats the correct voltage that it should run on to cause i think automatic voltages make it heat up 

so i want to try it with manual

also tell me the dram voltage please 

because when i turned oN the cool and quiet 

the bios increased my cpu voltage from 0.90v to 1.25 and my cpu reached like 85 C  in one sec 

Edited: 07/11/2013 at 12:55 PM by acepro71
 07/11/2013 02:11 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Is that 85°C the core temperature or the CPU socket temperature? You should start getting blue screen at around the 65°C mark.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/11/2013 02:34 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

You're not trying to overclock with the stock heatsink, right?

An aftermarket cooler is a must.  A good air cooler should get you decent results, but a water cooler like the Corsair H100 will be much better (don't cheap out - the very inexpensive self-contained water coolers are worse than the top quality air coolers).

As for voltage, read up on FX 8350 overclocking.  There's a lot of information out there.

07/11/2013 07:12 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

How are you measuring your CPU temperature?

Which program you are using makes a big difference. I have found the CPU "socket" temperature to run about 12C higher than the "Core" temperature.

I think you are fighting the built-in AMD FX-8350 Turbo Core technology Which maintains P-states to manage power consumption and heat output. These P-States consist of 6 sets of frequencies and voltages.

If running at full load causes your CPU temperature to be higher than you feel is safe then you need to:
1. make sure your case cooling is adequate. If that is not a problem then,
2. I agree with Thanny in that a better CPU cooler is needed

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am using a Corsair H60 water cooler. I am sure that a good air cooler or better water cooler would lower my full load temperatures even more.

After looking at the "good" air coolers I was concerned about their large size and weight. I chose the the Corsair H60 because its relative small cooler size and weight. It seemed good enough for normal use but will probably not for overclocking.

BTW, I previously had an AMD Phenom II 955 x4 and stock cooler. I ran it at stock settings. It ran for too long at too high temperatures and eventually failed.
The results of some tests I did.

Idle:
CPU 1409MHz 0.9125V
CPU Core Temperature: 12C
CPU Socket Temperature: 24C

Load (using Prime95):
CPU 4206MHz @1.4125V
CPU Core Temperature: 54C
CPU Socket Temperature: 66C

Notes:
"Angus Monitor" program was used to monitor CPU temperatures. "Core Temp" program was used to monitor CPU voltages.
Since it is not always apparent whether a particular program is showing the "CPU Core" or "CPU Socket" temperature I compared several programs find out. Here is what I have concluded:

These show CPU Core Temperature:
HWMonitor: AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature
Angus Monitor: Core 1-8
Core Temp: CPU Temp

These show CPU Socket Temperature
HWMonitor: TMPIN2
Angus Monitor: CPU Socket
EasyTune6: CPU
AMD FX-8350 specifications
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8350.html

Boosted P states
#1: 4200 MHz, 1.425V
#2: 4100 MHz, 1.4V

Low power P states
#1: 3400 MHz, 1.225V
#2: 2800 MHz, 1.125V
#3: 2100 MHz, 1V
#4: 1400 MHz, 0.875V

Safe CPU temperatures are 60 degrees Celsius and below. It may still run fine with CPU temperatures, exceeding 60C threshold by a few degrees. Running the FX-8350 close to 70 degrees and higher is not recommended.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

07/21/2013 09:15 AM

Author Icon
jimbro
Peon

I've just finished building my new one.

AMD FX-8350 on an Asus M5A99X EVO motherboard with 16GB 1600MHz

I did have an Arctic freezer cooler but it failed out of the box so while I returned it to rethink my options, I put the stock cooler on.

I don't game but I do a lot on Photoshop and DVD/Bluray/Video editing so I wanted to monitor the temps with this cooler while it was under load.

I'm running Prime95 right now and ripping a Bluray and using Windows. All CPU cores are at 100% and I'm monitoring temps using AMD overdrive and Coretemp.

No core has gone above 49.1C even though ambient temp is over 25C

So far, I'm pretty impressed with the stock cooler but I probably will add a Noctua NH-D14 at some point.

07/21/2013 11:39 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Did you read the sticky "how to read cpu temperatures" at the top of the forum?

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/25/2013 07:35 AM

Author Icon
code3
Peon

I also face the same issue . when playing heavy 3D games , can easily upto 75c !Performance are great but i think need to invest a good cooler fan or something . someone please advise .
 07/25/2013 08:41 AM

Author Icon
Mkissner
Farming Materials

Like stumped pointed out, please read the sticky..

On the other hand, and for knowledge only, the FXs have some issues reading temps correctly. It's because it uses an equation to "read" the temperature, instead of having an actual physical sensor embebed.

A hint of what I said is the fact that, according to AMDs papers, the ultimate temp for FXs are in the 60s, around 65, before it shuts down itself if reaches the 70s. If you get temp readings of 75°C without any shut down, then you get an actual idea about it.

For example, after a series of test with OCCT, I got even 80s°C on all cores before I stop the test. User stop it, not the CPU itself. Ergo, the readings are wrong. How much is the gap?.. Well, according to the sticky stumper pointed out, it "should" be around 10°C between the readings and the "real" values.. If you ask me, I think is even more..

Bottom of all, there's no way (in my opinion) to know the "exact" value of temp. I use 4 different software to read the CPU temps, and all of them reports almost the same values. Maybe a gap of 3-5°C between them, including AMD OverDrive. If you can and want, do your own test an check it..

My advice: get a better aftermarket CPU cooler. I have an H80, but just purchased a Corsair H110 to see if I can get higher speeds.. But that's just me...

Best regards...

8320 @ 4,7 / 990FXA UD5 / CF-X 7970 + 7950 / Switch 810 / H110 p-p / 16 GB RAM / 23" 5760x1080 / SSD 64GB RAID0 / HX750 / SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion / z506

08/05/2013 04:20 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

Originally posted by: Mkissner Like stumped pointed out, please read the sticky..

On the other hand, and for knowledge only, the FXs have some issues reading temps correctly. It's because it uses an equation to "read" the temperature, instead of having an actual physical sensor embebed.

A hint of what I said is the fact that, according to AMDs papers, the ultimate temp for FXs are in the 60s, around 65, before it shuts down itself if reaches the 70s. If you get temp readings of 75°C without any shut down, then you get an actual idea about it.

For example, after a series of test with OCCT, I got even 80s°C on all cores before I stop the test. User stop it, not the CPU itself. Ergo, the readings are wrong. How much is the gap?.. Well, according to the sticky stumper pointed out, it "should" be around 10°C between the readings and the "real" values.. If you ask me, I think is even more..

Bottom of all, there's no way (in my opinion) to know the "exact" value of temp. I use 4 different software to read the CPU temps, and all of them reports almost the same values. Maybe a gap of 3-5°C between them, including AMD OverDrive. If you can and want, do your own test an check it..

My advice: get a better aftermarket CPU cooler. I have an H80, but just purchased a Corsair H110 to see if I can get higher speeds.. But that's just me...

Just browsing the internet and playing low end games will probably not push the FX CPU to run hot enough to be of concern even with a stock cooler. Based on my experience if you are going to push the AMD FXs whether it is with high end gaming or other programs that max the core usage and clock speed you need a much better cooler than the stock one. For me the Corsair H60 CPU water cooler does much better than the stock one ever did. It does have limitations. If I run a program such as Prime95 the max CPU socket temperature does reach almost 70C. This shows that a low end water cooler is not suitable for overclocking. Also this indicates that I have to closely monitor the CPU temperature if I am running any program that pushes the CPU to its limits.

If you look at a previous post of mine you will see that there are two different ways to measure the AMD FX temperaure. Most programs only show the CPU core temperature. This is fine for normal monitoring. I watch this with the Core Temp program and its Windows desktop gadget. If I am pusing the CPU I use the Angus Monitor program so I see both the CPU core and socket temperatures. I then closely watch the CPU socket temperature since it probably is closer the real CPU temperature. If you note that the measurements I made below you will see that the CPU socket temperature has reached almost 70C after only 10 minutes at full load. I stopped Prime95 at this point. I have no idea how close I was to the shutdown temperature. With the stock CPU cooler the CPU socket temperature probabably would have reached 80C or more in only a minute or so. Would the system shut down if that continued or would the system have forces the CPU to run at a slower speed to lower the temperature instead?

Idle temperatures:
Core 1-8: 11.4
CPU Socket: 23.0
After 10 minutes running Prime 95
Core 1-8: 56.1
CPU Socket: 68.0

BTW, what papers were you talking about that give maximum temps for the FXs? Also, were they talking about the CPU core or socket temperature?

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Statistics
86401 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.