Topic Title: AMD Phenom II X4 965 running extremely high
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/02/2013 01:22 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/02/2013 01:22 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ewegoggo
Peon

Hi!

I've been using AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor with stock heatsink on ASUS M5A99X Evo mainboard for over a year now.  The processor is OC-free, there were no modifications whatsoever. Asus mainboard offers different levels of optimal configurations and none changes anything about my problem. There is one additional cooler installed in case and everything is almost dust free.

Since  beginning I have been concerned about high nose level coming from the stock cooler, however I have never found time to examine it till now. The noise is high regardless of the load, getting quite loud on boot and it keeps working that way, with times of extremely high noise spikes during some more requiring load. CPU thermometers show that on just-installed-Windows 7 (64) with Google's Chrome (5 tabs) and antivirus running  965 gets even up to 67 C degrees. It usually balances between 45-60 even on just desktop with all bonuses off and I've never seen it getting below this level, even when monitoring just on UEFI level. Overall though, computer is running fast and well, and I've never gotten random shutdown during gaming or such (though if I reboot a lot I'll get a message "overclocking failed" and 'll have to boot again). I remember though that during the heatsink installation I've got problem with key-shaped last lever and it wouldn't let me go and eventually fell over from heatsink. Technician fixed this problem by easily putting lever back to it (it was working and applying pressure again, and still wouldn't let us go) and applying pressure manually down the heatsink during the point when the lever seemed to not have enough force. The lever with this help got through easily and kept the heatsink strongly settled down.

Is there anything I can do about temperatures and should I be concerned about them at all?

08/03/2013 04:18 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

What is your Case and how many fans do you have in it?  How are they configured?

Also what is your PSU?

QB

-------------------------

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

08/07/2013 12:44 PM

Author Icon
Ewegoggo
Peon

My case is described as "logic", it's cheap one that I got few years ago. Original name is probably modecom logic or something along those lines, though I cannot find exact model online, sorry. There's one cooler that came with a set and it's on the side.

My PSU is OCZ Stealth x Stream 2 80 plus 600W.

Statistics
84123 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.