Topic Title: FX-8320 possible DOA
Topic Summary: No POST, may be CPU or Motherboard but not sure which
Created On: 08/26/2013 11:28 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/26/2013 11:28 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Talien
Peon

I got an 8320 with an ASUS M5A99FX pro R2.0 Motherboard and after setting it all up it failed to post. I rechecked all the connections and made sure nothing was loose and tested all the components 1 by 1 to make sure none of them had died between taking them out of my old case and putting them in my new one with the new board+CPU. I made sure I installed the CPU correctly (I actually read and pay attention to instructions) and there was nothing wrong with the HD, video card, or ram.

My problem is I have no other board to put that processor in so I'm not sure how to tell whether it's the CPU or Motherboard and I don't want to return both when it might be only one that's bad. If anyone here knows of a way to check I'd really appreciate it.

09/08/2013 05:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Every AMD CPU is tested just before it is boxed and it's almost impossible to damage them in transit because of the specially designed package. Mobos are rarely bad also but Asus does use multiple manufacturers for their mobos so anything is possible.

The most common fail to boot issue on new PC builds IME is connecting all of the 12V power feeds required for the mobo and GPU cards. These days both the mobos and GPU cards often require 2 or more independnet 12V power cables to be connected in addition to the main 24 pin connector.

Depending on your time factor you might be able to find someone locally who either has a mobo that your new CPU will fit into or someone who has a CPU that will fit into your mobo. There are also online tutorials for "bread board testing" just in case there is some grounding out issue with the new mobo in you PC case. Bread boarding eliminates a lot of potential issues and is a pretty quick check to see if the hardware is working OK before installing in the case.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
84123 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.