Topic Title: Utility to display cpu core temps
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/07/2013 02:16 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/07/2013 02:16 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bondonin
Peon

Is there a recommended utility to display cpu core temps correctly for the newer bulldozer/piledriver (and the mobile versions) cpus?

To my understanding there are 2 temps which can be reported, the thermister at the socket which measures air temps and the more accurate on-chip thermistors which are averaged to give a single core temp.

09/07/2013 08:27 AM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

I use Core Temp for the CPU and GPU-Z for graphics.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

09/07/2013 11:21 AM

Author Icon
fred13
Peon

I use Speedfan : CPU,MB,GPU and HDD temp . And nice for Fans speed regulation .

fred

Gigabyte GA990XA UD3-AMD FX6350/Noctua NUH9-Crucial ballistix 4x4Go-Samsung 830-Seagate 1To-WDGreen 500Go- W7 64-

09/07/2013 08:21 PM

Author Icon
bondonin
Peon

Yep coretemp/realtemp/hwinfo etc are commonly used but I'm not sure which temps we are getting from AMD or whether different manufacturers have their own way of deciphering the given temps.

To recap, there is the highly inaccurate socket thermistor which basically measures air under the cpu at the socket. The other temp is the more accurate internal core temp which is measured at the package itself. Both temps are not raw measurements but need to be manipulated to be useful. The socket thermistor needs a large offset, the internal temp must be converted from a non-linear proprietary scale to celcius/fahrenheit.

09/08/2013 02:13 AM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Farming Materials

If you want it as gadget get AllCPUMeter

GA 990FXA-UD3v3
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1600 HyperX
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
1x SATA3 WD Blue / 1x SSHD ST1000DX001 / 1x STBV2000300
SeaSonic 650W
Win7x64

09/08/2013 05:00 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I use Core Temp because it's convenient but HWiNFO is also good.

It should be noted that according to AMD engineering, whom I have spent considerable time discussing this subject with, none of the current CPU temp reading software is very accurate for the Phenom II and newer AMD CPUs or APUs except in the 40C-70C range. This includes AMD's Overdrive software. According to AMD engineering, the next iteration of AMD Overdrive will show the proper CPU "core temp" for the Phenom II and later model CPUs and APUs over the entire operating range.

As far as temps go the only temp that actually matters is the core temp when the CPU/APU is under max load. As long as it does not exceed AMDs specified 24/7 operating temp, you're fine. The no load temps which can even show negative readings with current software - which obviously are not accurate, are unimportant as they mean nothing to the operation of the CPU/APU.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

09/09/2013 12:38 AM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

I compared the temperatures using several different programs. Based on that I have concluded:

CPU core temperature:
HWMonitor > AMD FX-8350 Package Temperature
Core Temp > CPU Temp
Angus Monitor > Core 1-8

CPU Socket temperature:
HWMonitor > TMPIN2
EasyTune6 > CPU
Angus Monitor > CPU Socket

I have found the Socket temperature to be about 12C higher than the Core temperature.

Normally I use the the Core Temp Gadget along with Core Temp so that I can monitor the CPU temperature all the time.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

09/09/2013 04:32 AM

Author Icon
bondonin
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe I use Core Temp because it's convenient but HWiNFO is also good.

It should be noted that according to AMD engineering, whom I have spent considerable time discussing this subject with, none of the current CPU temp reading software is very accurate for the Phenom II and newer AMD CPUs or APUs except in the 40C-70C range. This includes AMD's Overdrive software. According to AMD engineering, the next iteration of AMD Overdrive will show the proper CPU "core temp" for the Phenom II and later model CPUs and APUs over the entire operating range.

As far as temps go the only temp that actually matters is the core temp when the CPU/APU is under max load. As long as it does not exceed AMDs specified 24/7 operating temp, you're fine. The no load temps which can even show negative readings with current software - which obviously are not accurate, are unimportant as they mean nothing to the operation of the CPU/APU.

Its welcome news if AMD is finally going to fix its temp reporting in the overdrive utility.

The thing is, I don't know which utility reports the estimated core temp (sensors are on the cpu package) vs the socket thermistor. The socket thermistor is way off and misleading since it should be compared against the Tcase limit around 61-70C and not the 'maximum core temperature' which is higher.

I think Overdrive reports overly high idle temps but at least gives the on package sensor data.

09/11/2013 09:28 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

A couple notes on FX processor temp readings:

1. FX processors don't read actual core temps they read Tcase. That is why all cores read the same because it's not the individual core temps that are being measured and reported.

2. Most software that shows "CPU" temp shows the thermister temp which under load is typically 10C-25c higher than the actual CPU core temps as the thermister has no cooling like the CPU has.

3. Software such as AMD Overdrive, Core Temp, OCCT and HWiNfo show the CPU core temp but you need to be sure that you are reading the proper information not the mobo thermister temp which is always higher. 

4. Mobo BIOS typically report the thermister temp, not the CPU core temp even though it is listed as "CPU" temp like a lot of the software.

5. Hopefully the new generations of CPUs/APUs will come with accurate true core temp monitoring so that AMD enthusiasts know what the real temps are when running their system under full load at max performance.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
84907 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.