Topic Title: FX-8350 60c at Idle?
Topic Summary: New FX-8350 seems to be running too hot
Created On: 09/10/2013 04:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/10/2013 04:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pspada
Peon

I just got a FX-8350 Black Boxed CPU w/ MSI 970A-G43 motherboard.  I already have this same motherboard in my main machine with a FX-6300 in it that runs fine.  So I swapped in the 8350 and it's HSF, booted up and it seemed like the fan on the cpu was whinning a bit much.  So I checked the temp in the bios, and it idles at ~60c.  I shut down the system, replaced the default compound from the cpu and heatsink, and put some Artic silver on.  No difference, and if I try anything that causes the system to heat up (like playing a game), it overheats in short order and reboots.

Assuming there was some difficulty with my system, I replaced the new 8350 with the 6300, and put the 8350 into the other 970A-G43 motherboard.   Using a Thermaltake 600w power supply and nothing special GF 6800 PCIe video card, without the motherboard even being mounted in a case the temps are much the same.

I am going to try a 760GM-P23 motherboard to ensure it is not some odd issue with the 970A-G43 series boards, but it does look like I have some kind of problem.

Any advice?  Could I have received a bad chip?  Anyone else see similar issues?

Thanks.

09/11/2013 01:21 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

I would have expected the CPU temperature with the stock cooler to be 20C cooler than what you indicated.

How is your case cooling? Is it possible that heat is building up in your case? Also the room temperature needs to be kept cool enough. I have noticed that as the room temperature rose so did the system and CPU temperatures. That was not important unless the CPU temprature was already high. Better case and CPU cooling gave me more of a safety margin.

I just checked my info in the BIOS:
System temperature: 35C
CPU temperature: 33C
CPU Fan: 1069 RPM
Power Fan: 4354 RPM

I replaced my Phenom II 960-T with an FX-8350. The CPU temperature I measure with Core Temp is 10-12C at idle and 54C under load using Prime95. I didn't even bother to use the stock cooler that came with FX-8350 and used a Corsair H60 water cooler instead. I have not found the stock CPU coolers to be adequate. Also the Corsair H60 is much quieter than the stock cooler ever was.

-------------------------

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

09/11/2013 01:34 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

As you stated, you can play a game and the CPU will overheat followed by the system rebooting itself.  I would recommend you warranty the CPU.

The stock HSF should suffice entirely on its own to keep the CPU cool provided you are not operating the system in the hottest desert or have a case that has abnormally poor airflow.

www.amd.com/warranty

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

09/11/2013 01:37 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I doubt that your CPU is actually at 60C at idle unless the cooler is improperly attached to the CPU heatsink. The OE fan will keep the CPU temp below 61C under max load in normal ambient temps in the 80C range.

Idle temps however can be completely crazy as the software does not read the temps correctly on FX CPUs below 40C. This has been documented by AMD engineering. See the thread below.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=446&threadid=160921&enterthread=y&STARTPAGE=2#last

You should be able to tell from the TIM imprint if the HSF is contacting the CPU properly. You should also be able to tell the fan speed in the BIOS of many mobos. If the HSF appears to be contacting properly you could try Core Temp to read the CPU temp. It may or may not read the same as your BIOS temp. Many BIOS temp readings are NOT core temps but the CPU socket thermister in the mobo which typically reads 10C-25C higher than the CPU core temps. Even though the readout may say CPU temp, it's actually the socket temp, not the core temps which is all that matters.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

09/17/2013 06:15 PM

Author Icon
pspada
Peon

Sorry for the delay, it took me a few days to dig out the assigned password to be able to post again.

It appears that the 60-62c temps reported by the motherboard in the bios are somewhat off.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes AMD Overdrive shows TMPIN1 as 0, TMPIN2/3 as 248c, and TMPIN4 is always 249.6c, which I'm pretty sure is inaccurate as well.

But when AMD Overdrive is working properly, it reports 31-32c for each core, TMPIN1 @ 51c, TMPIN2 @ 53c, TMPIN3 @ 39c, and as always, TMPIN4 shows 249.6c.

With the stock cooler I would get much the same or slightly higher temps, but the fan could be heard even when some distance from the machine. So I bought a Hyper 212 plus, and am now getting the temps shown above, and can barely hear the system even when sitting right next to it.

Thanks for all the help!

09/18/2013 10:52 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

An indicated 31-32C at idle is reasonable for the FX series CPUs but only the max load core temp really matters. As far as the core temps are concerned, the individual cores of the FX CPUs can't be measured as there is just one temp output, so they all read the same by virtue of a fudge factor.

The Hyper 212 and similar HSF are much more capable and quieter than the OE fans which are a cost effective HSF solution sufficient for most applications. The higher fan speed/noise of the OE fan is bothersome to some folks however.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

09/19/2013 09:33 AM

Author Icon
Jerrys35
Peon

Hi, I use AMD FX 8350 too with Cooler Master Hyper 212x CPU fan. My CPU is about 37 C when idle, when works %100 it is between 52 C and 57 C is it good? 

Two more questions what is the maximum temprature that this CPU can work with no problem and what is the danger temprature for this CPU. Thanks for your helps... 

09/19/2013 10:23 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

AMD states that the FX-8350 has a max 24/7 operating temp. of 61C so your temps are just fine. When this model CPU reaches 70C it automatically starts to throttle itself by reducing the Vcore and CPU frequency, so no need to worry about any overheating issues as long as you have a heatsink and properly functioning fan attached.

09/19/2013 11:05 AM

Author Icon
Jerrys35
Peon

Thank you very much. Ah by the way I read the conversation above I use Amd Overdrive too. I understand TMPIN 1 is CPU, TMPIN 2 is Motherboard but it shows TMPIN 3 -127.0 C and TMPIN 4 -272.2 C now. What are they and how could this be possible?

09/19/2013 01:30 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I don't have AMD Overdrive installed at the moment so I can't answer your question on what temp 3 or 4 readouts apply to but those are not accurate temps. They may be phantom readings for mobos that don't have temp sensors for those AMD Overdrive outputs.

01/19/2014 01:10 PM

Author Icon
chainik37
Peon

Hopefully this isn't too much of a thread hijack.

I am using a Vishera 8350 on stock HSF.

AOD reports currently a thermal margin of 56-63C & Asus mobo software/sensors are reading off a CPU temp of 24C. (Range fluctuation due to my using the PC )

Assuming I understand the idea of 'margin' this implies a CPU high temp limit of around 80C.  I am seeing posts around the net saying 65C is the highest temp these chips can take.

Anyone know for sure what the upper limit is?  I'm not planning to OC but I would like to know what I can expect from the CPU.

AMD FX-8350
8gb Kingston HyperX KHX1866C9D3 @1866mhz
Asus M5A97 LE R2.0 (BIOS 2103)
EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW ACX 2048MB

01/19/2014 01:59 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The FX-8000 series has an AMD mandated 61C, 24/7 core temp, NOT CPU, maximum temp. "CPU temp" is typically 10C-25C higher then the core temp, depending on the CPU load and duration. "CPU temp" is the thermister mounted below the CPU socket and is NOT the CPU core temp, which is what matters.

At 70C the CPU will throttle itself to try and keep from burning up. At ~65C you can expect to start having system hangs, BSODs, etc. based on my personal testing of the FX-8350. 61C, 24/7 however is perfectly fine.

Use the software app Core Temp to read the temps between 40C-60C. According to AMD engineering - No current software including AMD's Overdrive properly reads the FX processor temps accurately outside the 40C-70C range, so idle temps can actually be negative C readings but untrue. Don't depend on AOD's estimated temps, just use a 61C core temp as the max temp and you'll be fine. The 8-core FX CPUs produce a lot of thermal load so you need a good highend tower style HSF for overclocking.

Edited: 01/19/2014 at 02:07 PM by AMDforMe
 01/19/2014 03:16 PM

Author Icon
chainik37
Peon

Thanks for that info.

I now have a better idea of what to look at when Summer gets here.

I think I may start looking at liquid cooling, the Corsair units seem pretty interesting at a low price point.

AMD FX-8350

01/19/2014 03:50 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

FWIW, I never recommend H2O cooling due to the water leak liability that can destroy your PC and has for many folks.

As far as closed loop (H2O) coolers (CLCs), they are extremely thermally inefficient, noisy and a poor value. All of this has been confirmed by numerous reputable websites who have conducted accurate CPU cooler testing.

Most PC enthusiasts however don't discover this reality until after they purchase a CLC and install it. As an example a Corsair H100 just about equals the performance of a Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 but the Aegir cost much less and never leaks.

I always recommend that PC enthusiasts educate themselves on the pros and cons of any hardware and then buy what makes them happy. At least if you educate yourself with objective scientific test data from reputable sites who know how to properly test CPU coolers (and many sites do NOT know how), before you buy, then if you are unhappy with the results, at least you knew going in what to expect.

BTW the Aegir is working bulletproof reliable under 61C, 24/7 on my FX-8350 OC'd to 4.6 GHz. P95 stable in (3) 25 hour durability tests. That's the kind of performance I demand. Your needs may be different but at least you now have enough info. to do your homework.

01/20/2014 10:31 AM

Author Icon
chainik37
Peon

TBH I haven't looked too closely at cooling for 12months or so.  I liked the ideas of the Canadian company that Corsair took over for their H series... Guess it's been long enough for reviewers to see how many units decide to leak after extended use.

But water + electricity = bad & it is something I want to study more.

I do recall some of the tower coolers with dual fans being insanely heavy - over 2lbs hanging onto a vertically inclined mobo didn't reasurre me on the heat/stress weight side of things.

The Aegir sounds good tho so it is on my research list. Thanks for the tip.

When I move to the FX-9xxx series or above I think cooling choice is going to be a lot more serious, this CPU seems to be good at stock with the stock HSF.

Must get over to Frostytech

AMD FX-8350

01/20/2014 12:49 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

None of the quality mobos have stress issues with the tower coolers. The reason AMD went to a backplate years ago was to prevent mobo stress issues with the high clamp force they use with the initial slab of TIM material that melts down to a thin layer once the CPU gets hot.

I don't believe any review sites have accurate statistical data on H2O cooler leaks because the H2O sellers are not about to release that info. Corsair is reported to have claimed that the failure rate on their H2O systems was "about the same" as their HSFs but I don't believe that for a minute. Most people don't want to admit their CLC leaks but Corsair has had to pay for a lot of damaged PC hardware in exchange for people NOT reporting the failures in PC enthusiasts forums. Corsair even had to announce that they would pay for damaged hardware because there was so many people in their forums reporting leaks. Many of those posts were removed within 24 hours of being posted... I was there daily reading them so I know for a fact there have been a lot of leaks and not just with Corsair branded CLCs.

BTW, I'm not down on Corsair. I've used and recommende their RAM for years. It's all the other stuff they sell like H2O coolers, PSUs, etc. that are contract manufactured for them they have spotty performance and reliability records. As long as people educate themselves with facts, then they know what to expect going in.

01/20/2014 01:13 PM

Author Icon
chainik37
Peon

Thats a bit of reassuring info on the stress from HSF installs.  I guess the Asus that I'm currently using could be considered a quality brand.  I think the ASRock 890fx I had was probably a heavier duty PCB tho.  I used to find Asus always ran much hotter than their rivals (MSI, DFI, ASR etc) but this one is doing quite well, mobo sensor is usually showing 17-19C even when I've hit 60C with the CPU.

I ran the Passmark test on the rig & bearing in mind everything is still at untweaked stock settings it wasn't too bad at all

Corsair - Thats useful to know -I've lost count of the number of companies who've suffered because some genius accountant recommends cutting corners with 3rd party suppliers.

AMD FX-8350

01/20/2014 05:16 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The mobo temp depends a lot on where the sensor is located and the heat elements around it along with case airflow, HSF design, etc., etc. Asus does try to jack all the frequencies a few Hz. to get better bench results which sells more product even when it don't mean anything is real world use.

02/26/2014 08:52 AM

Author Icon
Magdiel1975
Peon

I am getting the same temps.. it's constantly between 54c & 62c on idle. I have tried removing and resitting the cpu and re-applying thermal paste artic silver 5 several times and it does not change. I know the stock cooler is crap, but I should not be getting these type of temps if I'm not overclocking. I can hear the fan from across the room, IT'S SUPER LOUD! - The case temp is 35c, so there is not an airflow problem and the room temp is 70c - I have another computer in the same room, right next to this CPU and that one does not run hot at all. - I am definitely very dissapointed

02/26/2014 11:03 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Are you reading the core temp which is the internal CPU temp or are you reading the "CPU temp" which is the thermister mounted below the CPU socket. The thermister typically runs 10C-25C above the core temps which can be read with the applet Core Temp. 61C is the max 24/7 operating temp under full load for the 8-core FX CPUs. It would be extremely unusual for the CPU to be idling at 62C as it will start to throttle itself at 70C which you would reach immediately under even modest load.

There can be many reasons for these 8-core CPUs to run hot that has nothing to do with the CPU. All of these CPUs are entensively tested just prior to boxing and AMD doesn't ship CPUs that overheat so it's worth investigating your situation to see if the CPU is really running hot or if there are other issues. The small OE HSFs always run at high fan speeds when under load as they need to in order to provide sufficient cooling. An 8-core highend CPU requires a lot more cooling than a four or six core CPU running at a lower frequency.

Check core temp and your BIOS settings to be sure the CPU fan is running at 100% under load.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » FX-8350 60c at Idle?

1 2 Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
85454 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.