Topic Title: FX-8350 60c at Idle?
Topic Summary: New FX-8350 seems to be running too hot
Created On: 09/10/2013 04:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2014 11:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Are you reading the core temp which is the internal CPU temp or are you reading the "CPU temp" which is the thermister mounted below the CPU socket. The thermister typically runs 10C-25C above the core temps which can be read with the applet Core Temp. 61C is the max 24/7 operating temp under full load for the 8-core FX CPUs. It would be extremely unusual for the CPU to be idling at 62C as it will start to throttle itself at 70C which you would reach immediately under even modest load.

There can be many reasons for these 8-core CPUs to run hot that has nothing to do with the CPU. All of these CPUs are entensively tested just prior to boxing and AMD doesn't ship CPUs that overheat so it's worth investigating your situation to see if the CPU is really running hot or if there are other issues. The small OE HSFs always run at high fan speeds when under load as they need to in order to provide sufficient cooling. An 8-core highend CPU requires a lot more cooling than a four or six core CPU running at a lower frequency.

Check core temp and your BIOS settings to be sure the CPU fan is running at 100% under load.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/26/2014 11:04 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Are you reading the core temp which is the internal CPU temp or are you reading the "CPU temp" which is the thermister mounted below the CPU socket. The thermister typically runs 10C-25C above the core temps which can be read with the applet Core Temp. 61C is the max 24/7 operating temp under full load for the 8-core FX CPUs. It would be extremely unusual for the CPU to be idling at 62C as it will start to throttle itself at 70C which you would reach immediately under even modest load.

There can be many reasons for these 8-core CPUs to run hot that has nothing to do with the CPU. All of these CPUs are entensively tested just prior to boxing and AMD doesn't ship CPUs that overheat so it's worth investigating your situation to see if the CPU is really running hot or if there are other issues. The small OE HSFs always run at high fan speeds when under load as they need to in order to provide sufficient cooling. An 8-core highend CPU requires a lot more cooling than a four or six core CPU running at a lower frequency.

Check core temp and your BIOS settings to be sure the CPU fan is running at 100% under load.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

02/26/2014 11:14 AM

Author Icon
Magdiel1975
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Are you reading the core temp which is the internal CPU temp or are you reading the "CPU temp" which is the thermister mounted below the CPU socket. The thermister typically runs 10C-25C above the core temps which can be read with the applet Core Temp. 61C is the max 24/7 operating temp under full load for the 8-core FX CPUs. It would be extremely unusual for the CPU to be idling at 62C as it will start to throttle itself at 70C which you would reach immediately under even modest load.

I have used CoreTemp, HWMonitor and they both show the same temps.. In bios the cpu temp is 55c and the case temp is 35c - Those temps are correct because I can feel the heat with  my hand just getting it close to the cpu. - I have always used the stock heatsink/fan for my AMD rigs, Phenom 965/955 and i have never, ever had a problem with them..they have always idled at 42c-45c...so I don't get it.. If I will not be overclocking, I should not have to spen MORE money in coolers... the stock one should be enough, even under  load. - I have the same case, in the same room, it should be as simple as just swapping the CPU...but no, AMD has to make us consumers, bend over backwards to be able to use their product.. I have always been an AMD fan, but this CPU might just change my mind and start trying Intel for a change.

Edited: 02/26/2014 at 11:26 AM by Magdiel1975
 02/26/2014 05:31 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

You're getting yourself all worked up over nothing. The BIOS temp is the thermister that I mentioned, which runs 10C-25C higher than the CPU core temp. The AMD OE HSF works just fine if it's running at the correct speed and properly mounted. As I already advised the 8-core FX CPUs produce a lot more heat than the PII CPUs. Expecting the 8-core CPUs to run the same as a PII isn't going to happen.

If you want some help I'll try to help you but assuming the CPU is the problem when it's highly unlikely will just keep you chasing what probably isn't the real problem.

What temp does Core Temp or OCCT show for core temps at idle and under stress load like P95 or OCCT? Did you confirm that the fan CPU speed adjustment in the BIOS is set for 100% if you have this adjustment? Did you check the fan speed to see if it's above 3,500 and as high as 5,500 rpm under heavy load? What is the vcore voltage under P95 or OCCT stress testing? What does CPU-Z show for the default vcore voltage for your CPU?

Let's start with the basics and see if we can find the problem.

02/26/2014 06:18 PM

Author Icon
Magdiel1975
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe You're getting yourself all worked up over nothing. The BIOS temp is the thermister that I mentioned, which runs 10C-25C higher than the CPU core temp. The AMD OE HSF works just fine if it's running at the correct speed and properly mounted. As I already advised the 8-core FX CPUs produce a lot more heat than the PII CPUs. Expecting the 8-core CPUs to run the same as a PII isn't going to happen.

If you want some help I'll try to help you but assuming the CPU is the problem when it's highly unlikely will just keep you chasing what probably isn't the real problem.

What temp does Core Temp or OCCT show for core temps at idle and under stress load like P95 or OCCT? Did you confirm that the fan CPU speed adjustment in the BIOS is set for 100% if you have this adjustment? Did you check the fan speed to see if it's above 3,500 and as high as 5,500 rpm under heavy load? What is the vcore voltage under P95 or OCCT stress testing? What does CPU-Z show for the default vcore voltage for your CPU?

Let's start with the basics and see if we can find the problem.

sorry, for my exitement, lol.. I just bought this cpu as gift for the wife and I was telling her how great this cpu is supposed to be and all that...but anyway...

the fan is set on auto and it is over 3500 rpm, which is already too loud.

Coretemp shows CPU 0 at 58c on idle, not even an internet browser opened...nothing, just the basics. When I run prime95, it instanlty goes up to high 60s, within a few moments and the fan goes crazy loud.

I really appreciate your willingness to help and hope you understand my frustration and disspointment..like I said before, If Im not OC'ing, I should not have to buy a separate cooling... AMD should have included a proper heatsink/fan that is not so noisy and is capable of running this cpu on a normal operation. 

02/26/2014 08:33 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The OE fan is going to be louder than aftermarket fans or fans on lower powered CPUs because the 8-core CPUs produce more heat. More cores and higher frequency = greater heat. The fan should go to max with those temps.

Obviously the CPU should not be idling at 58C core temp so now we need to figure out what the problem is. What does CPU-Z show for the default vcore voltage? You can use OCCT to record the CPU vcore and temps while you do some tests. If the vcore is above 1.325v under stress loads, disable "auto" and manually lower it to 1.325v and see what the temps are. Many AM3+ CPU mobos over-volt the 8-core CPUs on "auto" settings and as a result the CPUs run way too hot so you need to manually correct these over-voltages.

Let's start there and see what the vcore is.

02/26/2014 08:43 PM

Author Icon
Magdiel1975
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe The OE fan is going to be louder than aftermarket fans or fans on lower powered CPUs because the 8-core CPUs produce more heat. More cores and higher frequency = greater heat. The fan should go to max with those temps.

Obviously the CPU should not be idling at 58C core temp so now we need to figure out what the problem is. What does CPU-Z show for the default vcore voltage? You can use OCCT to record the CPU vcore and temps while you do some tests. If the vcore is above 1.325v under stress loads, disable "auto" and manually lower it to 1.325v and see what the temps are. Many AM3+ CPU mobos over-volt the 8-core CPUs on "auto" settings and as a result the CPUs run way too hot so you need to manually correct these over-voltages.

Let's start there and see what the vcore is.

I have the GA-78LMT-USB3 v 5.0 mobo and the lowest voltage available is 1.3625, which is the voltage that it's always been.. it does not let me go any lower.

And everything else is stock speed/auto.

I also tried lowering the speed to 3000MHZ.. and it still idles between 56-58c.

Another thing I have noticed is that in CoreTemp.. core 0 &1 and always jumping around between 60% and 100%...constantly..but the hard drive light hardly blinks.. I have checked running programs and nothing is running exept the regular Win 7 stuff... this is a new installation, so there is no virus or anything...basically just the OS installed.

Edited: 02/26/2014 at 08:51 PM by Magdiel1975
 02/26/2014 11:18 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Your mobo has to offer vcore voltages lower than 1.3625v. That could be the default vcore for your CPU in "auto" mode. Did you use CPU-Z to see what it showed for a default vcore voltage? Go to manual mode and try lowering the vcore and see what the core temp does under stress loads. 

Are you using the FA BIOS as required for the FX-8350? This mobo is one of many Gigabyte mobos that doesn't truly support the FX 8-core processors (contrary to Gigabyte's claims), as the 4+1 phase VRM is a poor design for high power use and tends to overheat and throttle the CPU. That being said we still don't know what exactly is causing the high temps.

The core loads will jump around as will the frequency with all of the power saving features enabled. You might want to disable C1E, C6, turbo mode, Cool & Quiet and Application Power Management until we determine what's happening. Did you check to see if the BIOS setting for the CPU fan is at 100%?

With the vcvore set to 1.325v - if possible, run a stress test and check to see what the actual vcore voltage spikes to under stress loads.

When you replaced the OE thermal grease with AS5 did you use just a very thin film? AS5 is electrically conductive so you don't want it squeezing out and shorting pins on the CPU.

02/26/2014 11:29 PM

Author Icon
Magdiel1975
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe Your mobo has to offer vcore voltages lower than 1.3625v. That is probably the default vcore for your CPU in "auto" mode. Go to manual mode and try lowering the vcore and see what the core temp does under stress loads. 

Are you using the FA BIOS as required for the FX-8350? This mobo is one of many Gigabyte mobos that doesn't truly support the FX 8-core processors (contrary to Gigabyte's claims), properly as the 4+1 phase VRM is a poor design for high power use and tends to overheat and throttle the CPU. That being said we still don't know what exactly is causing the high temps.

The core loads will jump around as will the frequency with all of the power saving features enabled. You might want to disable C1E, C6, turbo mode, Cool & Quiet and Application Power Management until we determine what's happening. Did you check to see if the BIOS setting for the CPU fan is at 100%?

With the vcvore set to 1.325v - if possible, run a stress test and check to see what the actual vcore voltage spikes to under stress loads.

When you replaced the OE thermal grease with AS5 did you use just a very thin film? AS5 is electrically conductive so you don't want it squeezing out and shorting pins on the CPU.

I am unable to lower the vcore voltage..1.3625 is the lowest. The fan has the capability to run at 100% but is insainly loud and would only lower the temp by 3 degrees. I applied a small amount (grain of rice) in the middle like I have been doing for about 12 years..so no, it doesnt drip out to the sides of the cpu.

So, you're saying that this mobo is not good for this cpu?... well, that sucks because I can't return it now, it's been too long. 

Tomorrow I am receiving the Hyper 212 EVO cooler and if I don't see any improvements, I am returning the cpu and getting the 95W 6 core.

02/27/2014 08:58 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There is definitely something wrong with your mobo if you can't lower the vcore below 1.3625v. The mobo sounds like it could be your problem, not the CPU. The 6-core may be better but the mobo could still cause problems if it's over-volting.

02/27/2014 09:24 AM

Author Icon
Magdiel1975
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe There is definitely something wrong with your mobo if you can't lower the vcore below 1.3625v. The mobo sounds like it could be your problem, not the CPU. The 6-core may be better but the mobo could still cause problems if it's over-volting.

I think the mobo is fine.. I have found others with the same mobo and same revision that also say the lowest vcore setting they have is the 1.36.

02/27/2014 01:06 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I think there is a problem as virtually all AM3+ mobos offer lower vcore than 1.3625v, which is likely the default for your CPU. If not it's a really FUBARed mobo and likely the reason for your CPU overheating.

02/27/2014 08:32 PM

Author Icon
Magdiel1975
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe There is definitely something wrong with your mobo if you can't lower the vcore below 1.3625v. The mobo sounds like it could be your problem, not the CPU. The 6-core may be better but the mobo could still cause problems if it's over-volting.

Ok.. so I received the Hyper 212 EVO cooler today and installed it... so far so good.. idle temp is 34-36c.. so sad that I had to spend an additional $34 though.

02/27/2014 09:03 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

As I told you early on, the OE HSF works just fine other than it is a little louder than some folks like. If the OE fan is properly mounted and running at the correct speeds you would not see 58C idle temps unless something else is wrong. The 212 Evo is a much larger cooler and fan. It's a nice piece but it is not necessary to buy an aftermarket HSF to have proper CPU temps with any AMD CPU.

Many people use the OE HSFs with the 8-core CPUs and they simply do not overheat when properly installed and functioning. It's possible when they boxed your CPU that they included the incorrect HSF. The only way you'd know is to compare it to a FX-8350 OE HSF that performs normally.

Edited: 02/28/2014 at 11:44 AM by AMDforMe
 03/18/2014 11:50 PM

Author Icon
mrfla
Nerfed

Are you sure it's celsius or fahrenheit and did you looked up your voltages because one or other can give you an answer about it.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » FX-8350 60c at Idle?

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
84279 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.