Topic Title: Samsung SSD 840 EVO and AHCI
Topic Summary: The Samsung Software is not fully Functional with AHCI Enabled
Created On: 09/13/2013 02:19 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/13/2013 02:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Marcus1593
Peon

I have a home built system utilizing an ASUS M4A87TD motherboard and an AMD Phenom II Black Edition Quad-Core 965.  I was using the RAID 5 capability of the AMD processor with the ASUS motherboard.

I recently purchased a Samsung SSD 840EVO 500gb unit.  The instructiona manual for this item states to disable the AHCI function.  I am afraid that If I do this, the RAID capability goes away.  Does anyone have further information on this fact.  I have already moved my Windows 7 OS and other applications to the SSD, hoping to see performance improvements.  As of yet I haven't determined whether this was a good purchase, or a complete waste of money.

-------------------------
Marcus
 09/14/2013 03:48 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

The instructions probably say to disable AHCI because of the possibility of getting an error during the boot process.

It looks like the author of the article below changed from IDE to AHCI for the Samsung SSD 840 EVO after the system was booted.

Samsung 840 EVO SSD review - Installation and recommendations
http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/samsung_840_evo_ssd_benchmark_review_test,6.html

I did essentially the same thing with my computer. My computer has Windows 7 Ulitmate 64-bit. I was running both my SATA hard drives with the SATA Mode in the BIOS set to [IDE]. While in Windows 7 I went into the registry and modified it the same way as in the article. I then rebooted and went into the BIOS. I changed the SATA Mode to [AHCI]. I saved and exited the BIOS. The computer then booted two times. The first time the AHCI drivers were installed followed by a reboot. This time Windows booted normally.

Without the workaround I would have had to totally reinstall Windows to change from IDE to AHCI. This made things a whole lot easier.

The registry modification is necessary to force the computer to load the AHCI drivers while booting. Otherwise you will get an BSOD during boot.

I noticed that for your board SATA mode for Ports 1-4 and Ports 5/6 can be set seperately. Can you set Ports 1-4 to [RAID] and set Ports 5/6 to [IDE]. You could then connect the RAID drives to Ports 5-6 and the SSD to Ports Ports 5/6. After you boot you can then do the registry mod. After you reboot you could then set Ports 5/6 to [AHCI] in the BIOS.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Edited: 09/14/2013 at 04:03 PM by MisterEd
 09/15/2013 06:40 PM

Author Icon
Marcus1593
Peon

MisterED:   Thank for you reply.  From my best understanding AHCI is an AMD controller for the RAID.  So if I disable it, then  if I am correct, I won't be able to use the HDDs in a RAID.  Also right now with the AHCI enabled, the Samsung Magician software doesn't work for the SSD.  Currently I have the SSD in Port 1, The raid in Ports 2,3 and 4, and I have a blue ray drive in Port 5 it is a SATA drive and then a regular DVD (SATA) drive in Port 6.  Also even though the SSD is in Port1, it is reported as drive H.  It is booting from the SSD, as I set it that way in the BIOS.Marcus1593

Marcus
 09/15/2013 09:15 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Why do you need the software? To me all it looks like is for information purposes and to automate tasks which can easily be performed yourself that optimize SSD performance. RAID implies AHCI.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/15/2013 10:44 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

Originally posted by: Marcus1593 MisterED:   Thank for you reply.  From my best understanding AHCI is an AMD controller for the RAID.  So if I disable it, then  if I am correct, I won't be able to use the HDDs in a RAID.  Also right now with the AHCI enabled, the Samsung Magician software doesn't work for the SSD.  Currently I have the SSD in Port 1, The raid in Ports 2,3 and 4, and I have a blue ray drive in Port 5 it is a SATA drive and then a regular DVD (SATA) drive in Port 6.  Also even though the SSD is in Port1, it is reported as drive H.  It is booting from the SSD, as I set it that way in the BIOS.Marcus1593

===========================================================================================
I see you have your system set up this way:
SATA ports 1: SSD
SATA ports 2: Raid drive 1
SATA ports 3: Raid drive 2
SATA ports 4: Raid drive 3
SATA ports 5: blue ray drive
SATA ports 6: DVD

What is SATA mode for 1-4? Is it IDE, AHCI, or RAID?
What is SATA mode for 5-6?  [IDE] is fine for the two optical drive.

It is not clear to me which mode you are in when you are booting the SSD. Is the SATA mode in the BIOS for SATA ports 1-4 set to [IDE]?
If it is that is ok for now but the RAID should not work. You can fix that by doing the registry mod and changing the SATA mode in the BIOS for SATA ports 1-4 to [RAID]. After that the SSD should coexist ok with the RAID array.

Samsung Magician should work OK for the SSD in RAID mode after everthing is set up correctly.

You should be able to mix RAID and non-RAID drives in [RAID] mode. The RAID drives will will work as a RAID array.
Any non-RAID drives in [RAID] mode should work the same as if they are in [AHCI] mode.
===========================================================================================
AHCI SATA mode enables NCQ and hot swap for SATA drives that support. AHCI SATA mode enables TRIM for SSD drives.

This article on Samsung's website explains things in more detail.

Understanding SSD System Requirements
http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/us/html/about/whitepaper02.html

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

09/16/2013 06:55 PM

Author Icon
Marcus1593
Peon

I am sory black_zion, I worked at Dell in Round Rock, Texas for a while, and their raid was controlled in their servers, by what they Called a Backplane.  This is my first experience with raid controlled by the CPU under AHCI, and I am sorry I had never heard the term AHCI used before or associated with RAID before.My use of the Samsung Magician software, was because of the information that I read about SSD on Wikopedia.  The information gleaned from articles on SSD is that you don't use any typical defrag software, also I would rather use the software from the manufacturer of the SSD for my first experience, until I become more versed on SSD.ASUS M4A87TD EVO, Nvidia GT240, Kesington 16 GiB DDR3-10666, 3 Seagate 500gb 7000 rpm HDD, AMD 965 Black Edition Quad-Core 3.40 GHz, Epson Artisan 700, Win7 Pro.  In the BIOS for the ASUS motherboard I do not believe I have seen a way to turn off AHCI for particular ports and since the two optical drives are SATA, they are in no way IDE, SATA and IDE are two entirely different methods of communications at the hardware level.  IDE cables can have up to 80 wires and SATA only has Seven.  I just checked in Device Manager and Under the Storage Controllers tab is where AHCI is found, So if I remove this then effectively my RAID would go away.So the question is still how to get AHCI out of the way of the Samsung Magician Software and still have my RAID for the other drives.Marcus

Marcus
 09/17/2013 09:20 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

In the BIOS for the ASUS motherboard I do not believe I have seen a way to turn off AHCI for particular ports and since the two optical drives are SATA, they are in no way IDE, SATA and IDE are two entirely different methods of communications at the hardware level. IDE cables can have up to 80 wires and SATA only has Seven. I just checked in Device Manager and Under the Storage Controllers tab is where AHCI is found, So if I remove this then effectively my RAID would go away.So the question is still how to get AHCI out of the way of the Samsung Magician Software and still have my RAID for the other drives.Marcus

As I've said before, RAID implies AHCI. As MisterEd said, which is typical for most motherboards, your SATA port 5 and 6 can be configured differently, so just put your SSD onto one of those, set it to AHCI in BIOS, and you will be fine. As you can see, it has no issue running on AHCI interfaces, only RAID.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/18/2013 10:40 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

Originally posted by: Marcus1593In the BIOS for the ASUS motherboard I do not believe I have seen a way to turn off AHCI for particular ports and since the two optical drives are SATA, they are in no way IDE, SATA and IDE are two entirely different methods of communications at the hardware level.  IDE cables can have up to 80 wires and SATA only has Seven.  I just checked in Device Manager and Under the Storage Controllers tab is where AHCI is found, So if I remove this then effectively my RAID would go away.So the question is still how to get AHCI out of the way of the Samsung Magician Software and still have my RAID for the other drives.Marcus

RAID, AHCI and IDE are all modes for the SATA controller and have nothing to do with the cable used. Whatever SATA mode is set the drives still use the same SATA cables. IDE mode allows a SATA drive to emulate an PATA drive for installation of OSes that don't support SATA.

Does this work?

SATA mode for 1-4? [RAID]
SATA mode for 5-6? [IDE]

SATA ports 1: Raid drive 1
SATA ports 2: Raid drive 2
SATA ports 3: Raid drive 3
SATA ports 4: blue ray drive
SATA ports 5: SSD drive
SATA ports 6: DVD drive

Statistics
84696 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.