Topic Title: processor drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/19/2013 10:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/19/2013 10:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
crazzywolfie
Peon

i was wonder if anyone knows where i would look for drivers for my processor. i can't seem to find them and in the device manager it says AMD processor model unknown but i know it has a amd athlon 4850e. my computer is using drivers older than the processor to run it and ya it works  but i figure if i can find the correct driver it would run better.

09/19/2013 11:56 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Processors don't really have "drivers" atleast not in the way that you are thinking.  The closest thing would be your motherboard BIOS version.

Cheers!

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

09/20/2013 10:00 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

In an unusual situation newer versions of the Windows O/Ss do have an AMD FX model CPU driver to enhance CPU performance, but other than that there is no special driver as is typically required for a video card.

A BIOS update is typically required if the CPU is released after the mobo was released. Most mobo makers list the appropriate BIOS version required for a specific model CPU, at their website.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

09/20/2013 01:06 PM

Author Icon
crazzywolfie
Peon

ok. thanks for the info. i don't think upgrading the bios would do much in this case since the last bios upgrade for the pc is dated before the proccessor was released also. i think the mobo has no problem identifying the processor but windows xp pro does. i guess one of these days i might have to upgrade operating systems and see if it runs better. i know i have been meaning to wipe the hard drive and start over for years but that has never happened. 

09/20/2013 02:35 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

One of these days better be before April 2014 when XP support dies completely.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 09/28/2013 07:59 PM

Author Icon
jeepster
Peon

Or in the case of linux, you need a kernel 3.2 to properly shedule Bulldozer cores.

Most other processor features are so old that the operating systems cope with

whatever you plug into the socket.

Statistics
84251 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.