Topic Title: CPU AMD FX-4170 temps problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/04/2013 05:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/04/2013 05:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ogard
Peon

Hi,

I built a new pc 6 months ago and it has been working fine, thats the reason why I have not paid attention before to temps.

Now that I'm testing it with AMD Overdrive in some games, the cpu core reachs temperatures about 80°C.

I have just to replace the thermal compound with a new one: Artic MX4. I  cleaned all the fans as well as the heatsink although they were fairly clean.

The case is a Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus.

I have two 120mm fans:

- One at the front to get fresh air from outside

- Another at the rear taking the hot air out of the case

The heatsink is an Artic Cooling Freezer 13.

All the BIOS values are the factory defaults, and I have not tried to overclock the CPU.

May be is a cpu failure? A manufacturing defect?

If you need any additional data, please ask me.

Thanks

10/06/2013 06:01 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

There are TWO "CPU" temperatures shown with newer Phenom/FX processors/mobos. One is typically labeled as "CPU temp" and the other "core temp". What is labeled "CPU temp" is typically the mobo thermister mounted below the CPU socket. It tends to run 10C-25C higher than the actual CPU "core temps". The max temps listed for an AMD processor are for the "core temps". The AMD website shows 61C for the FX-4170 as the max 24/7 operating temp.

If memory serves me correctly, AMD Overdrive lists both temps but you need to use just the "core temps" as the mobo thermister CPU temp is insignificant and less accurate. It's just a carry over from when CPUs didn't have internal core temp monitoring. I would recommend reading the sticky in the CPU section on FX temperature readout also.

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=446&threadid=160921&enterthread=y

At about a true 70C "core temp", the FX processors with a 61C 24/7 max operating temp, start to throttle both the vcore and frequency to keep the CPU within the thermal design envelope. It's extremely unlikely that you CPU "core temps" are really at 80C. The thermister below the CPU socket may however be at 80C.

You should read the first thread in the CPU section that is a "sticky' for more on FX temps. A BIOS update may also correct the temp readings on some mobos which are known to be incorrect. Your mobo Tech Support should know if the BIOS needs to be updated.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/07/2013 05:00 AM

Author Icon
ogard
Peon

Thank you for your advice.

Yes, I had read before the sticky, that is the reason I downloaded AMD Overdrive.

Here is a test running Prime95 only for 2 or 3 minutes, and the problem is with the core temps:

Prime95 test

10/07/2013 05:47 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

If your HSF is running properly you should be able to hear it increase in speed when you start P95. I doubt those temps are correct however. If HWiNFO shows the vcore and CPU frequency when you are stress testing these two should drop if the CPU reaches 70C. This is to prevent thermal damage to the CPU. If the CPU frequency and vcore do not drop then the indicated temps shown by HWiNFO and Overdrive are reading higher than the actual CPU temps.

You might want to try the Core Temp temperature monitoring application to see if it reads the same as HWiNFO and Overdrive. The Core Temp software only shows core temps.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/07/2013 06:28 AM

Author Icon
ogard
Peon

Yes, when it reaches 70ºC, the HSF increase its speed from 2000rpm until 2300rpm, and I hear it very clearly.

Here is other screen shot with AMD Overdrive, HWMonitor and CoreTemp too:

Prime95 Test2

10/07/2013 07:09 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Are you intentionally running the vcore @ 1.4125v or is it running on "auto"? I have seen numerous mobos that over-volt the FX CPUs under high loads such as stress testing or video games. This very well "might" be causing the CPU to run too hot?

10/07/2013 07:35 AM

Author Icon
ogard
Peon

It's running on "auto".

Now that it is working at low load, it is at 0,9375v. The CPU is running at 1404,67MHz. The mobo is an Asus M5A97 EVO R2.0.

At the AMD website, I can see that the vcore for FX-4170 may vary from .8125-1.4125V.

10/07/2013 05:23 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Yes the vcore and the frequency are dynamic. That's why I asked if it was dropping the vcore/frequency under stress testing/heavy load. The VID that Core Temp is reading may be the preset vs. the dynamc vcore? OCCT and AMD Overdrive can record the vcore/frequency and temps so that you can see if they are in sync. If the vcore is running above the specified CPU vcore, (i.e. 1.4125v for the 4170), under heavy load as I have seen with numerous mobos, then you may need to use LLC to keep from over-volting the CPU as vcores >1.4v tend to cause rapid CPU temp rise, IME.

10/08/2013 01:31 PM

Author Icon
ogard
Peon

Thank you for your help.
I have been testing with the stock and the ACF13 coolers, and this is the result.

As you can see, the stock cooler can keep the cpu temp at the limit, 60ºC, but it seemed like it was going to take off at almost 6000rpm... :

The stock cooler has a clip system quite hard, but the ACF13 has a screws system, so this time I tightened them a lot:

It seems that it's not enough to tighten them, you have to do it in "Arnold mode".

Even so, it "only" can keep the temp at 55ºC, and I am dissapointed with it. When I bought this cooler, I though that the cpu could be at 40-45ºC. May be this cpu model has too high temps.
 10/09/2013 08:18 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The AFC13 is a moderate HSF. The FX processors do produce a lot of heat under full load. The good news with the FX processors is that they do NOT seem to experience compute errors when run at the advertised 24/7 max temps, where as Phenom II CPUs did seem to often experience errors above ~55C.

10/10/2013 06:16 PM

Author Icon
ogard
Peon

Thank you for your help and the information!

10/11/2013 04:22 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Glad to help!

Statistics
85380 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.