Topic Title: differences between fx8320/8350
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/13/2013 05:17 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/13/2013 05:17 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MrZ
Peon

i searched on web but i didn't find anything official.I want know if the difference between fx8320 and 8350 is just about the frequency or if it's something more like a better material.

10/13/2013 09:28 AM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

after the CPU is cut from the wafer its tested. If the CPU does work then its placed in the packager and the pins are wired up.

Then the CPU is tested again and depending on the thermometer they set the clock.

The test is designed to keep the CPU power consumption at 125W which is the standard.

I personally overclock mine so its maximum is higher but I also upgraded the thermal interface material to be able to cope with that much load.

Using the binning of speeds my Phenom II 965 is a few bins down but it overclocks fine to the max speed that Deneb is stable to. Deneb is overlcoks to 4.0 GHz with my factory fan.

The best theoretical CPU for my motherboard is the FX-8350 which is on a store wishlist, that store has indulged in features so I await a feature.

There are newer CPUs but those are designed for even more power, my motherboard is not designed for that level of power and it would likely cause thermal damage over time even if the regulator could provide enough current.

-------------------------

10/13/2013 12:56 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

All CPUs of a given series start out from the exact same wafer. Each CPU is tested to see what the highest stable speed is for the CPU staying within the specified TDP for the CPU. For the FX-8320/8350 CPUs that is 125w.

The FX-8320 and 8350 are therefore identical except that the 8320 might not overclock as high as the 8350. The only way you would know is to actually try each individual CPU to see how high it will overclock. Thus as delivered by AMD the only difference is the preset frequency of these two CPUs.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/13/2013 02:15 PM

Author Icon
MrZ
Peon

So the substantial difference between them is in how much are they overclockable.Thank you for the help!

10/14/2013 03:15 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Glad to help.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
84907 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.