Topic Title: CPU Upgrade Failure
Topic Summary: Sempron 140 to Phenom II X2 550
Created On: 10/13/2013 06:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/13/2013 06:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bedford
Peon

Greetings - I changed a Sempron 140 on  an ASUS M4A785-M board (AM2+ not AM3) to a Phenom II X2 550 Callisto Black Edition and got a black screen and unable to enter BIOS.  I changed back to the Sempron 140 but same problem.  ASUS does not specifically list the Black Edition as being compatible but it lists 2 550 cpu's and a different BIOS for each.  I have the older BIOS but have not been able to figure out what happened.  I have tried all the CMOS clear and new power supply and change memory stuff.  I am guessing that I may have damaged the socket when the cpu stuck to the heat sink on removal or the cpu may be defective and blew the board.  Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.  I have a Biostar A785G3+ board standing by which is AM 3 compatible and definitely lists the cpu but I am not going to try it until I figure out what is wrong.

10/14/2013 03:19 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

We can all speculate but you probably won't be able to determine the issue without swapping components. You may have corrupted the BIOS chip. If you did socket damage it should be visible.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/14/2013 08:52 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Have you tried reflashing the BIOS with the latest available for that board?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/14/2013 10:18 AM

Author Icon
Bedford
Peon

Thnx for the replies.  No, I did not update the BIOS to the latest but the two Phenom 550's identified on the ASUS board do not coincide exactly with this Black Edition no.  I guess it is about 50/50 that I needed the newer BIOS.  A clue is that the blue power LED light and the HDD activity LED light do not turn on but fans run and  the north and south bridges and cpu become warm. - if these two LED's are BIOS controlled, it would indicate a BIOS problem.  Any recommendations on a repalcement board?  I am using the BIOSTAR board now so I don't want to take a chance on losing it.  Thnx again.

10/14/2013 11:54 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I have an Asus M4A77D motherboard which uses DDR2 memory but it can use any AM2, AM2+ or even AM3 processor. I use it on my server right now and it has served me well for the 2 or so years since I bought it.

I had an old CPU from a defunct M2N-VM CSM that failed. The M4A77D uses a more recent AMD 770 chipset with a faster PCI Express slot and its a full ATX board so it has room for a full double or even triple slot video card.

If you can find a M4A77D its a handly board for refurbishing an older machine while allowing a CPU upgrade when desired.

10/15/2013 10:40 AM

Author Icon
Bedford
Peon

Thnx.  I just ordered a Gigabyte board for $60 bucks with rebate and then I saw it for $50.  I'll post back the result with the Phenom II x2 Black Edition.

10/20/2013 08:13 PM

Author Icon
Bedford
Peon

The attempt to use a new GA-78LMT-USB3 board with this Phenom II Black Edition failed.  I have not tried the Sempron 140 on this new Gigabyte board.  I may take the computer to a repair shop and I will try the AMD tech line tomorrow.  I do not like to get into this stuff - the CPU should have been tested before shipping and it should have worked out of the box. It must be faulty or requires some BIOS not available?  I have tried everything including cursing but I still get black screen and no entry to BIOS.

Statistics
84869 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.