Topic Title: AMD FX 8350 memory issue
Topic Summary: memory help
Created On: 10/14/2013 11:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/14/2013 11:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cabledog2tuff4u
Peon

hello, i have a AMD FX 8350 paired with a MSI 990XA-GD55 mobo,  i decided to up my sys ram to 32 Gb for work production, before i was using G skill  Ares 2133 mhz 16 Gb ( 4 X 4 Gb sticks ), Now i am using AMD Performance radeon DDR3 ram @ 1866 Mhz ( 4 X 8 Gb sticks ) for a total of 32 Gb.

Now that i have installe dthe 32 Gb kit of AMD Radeon performance memory, my sys has become unstable, crashes, BSOD's, etc.

I have tried a slight increace of Dram Voltage , also a slight voltage increase of Nb for IMC, also there is no OC  all stock settings( for stability), and still get BSOD,  Updated bios , no change.

I checked each stick individually using memtest86 , no errors.

settings in bios are not set to auto, d ram voltage, fsb clock, multi. Etc.

Why am i getting bsod, with 32 Gb of the AMD ram?

some one had suggested it is because of 4 sticks being used, which i dont agree with because of the fact that i had 4 sticks of 2133  ram installed with out any issues what so ever.

ANY Ideas?

-------------------------

10/15/2013 04:18 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

There are a couple issues to understand...

First AMD only officially guarantees 1x or 2x DIMMs to operate at 1866 Mhz. with an FX processor.

Second, while DIMMs may meet the industry DDR3 standards, they are not all the same electrically. 4x DIMMs is more difficult for the IMC. 8GB DIMMs are more difficult for the IMC. Both 4x DIMMs and 8GB are really difficult for IMC @ 1866 MHz.

That being said some folks have been able to run 4x 8GB. on FX CPUs @ 1866 Mhz. If the following settings do not help, I would contact MSI and request a BIOS update specifically for the 4x DIMM model number that you are running. DIMMs change all the time as new ICs are produced and MSI's current BIOS for your mobo might not provide sufficient compatibility for these DIMMs.

Set DIMM to +.05v. Set CPU NB to 1.3v. Set HT voltage to 1.25v Use one or two steps slower DIMM timings over what is recommended as optimal for your 4x 8GB. kit. (This is ONE 4x 8GB. kit, correct, not 2x kits? If not the timings will not be slow enough for a 4x 8GB. kit and may not work stable at all.) This is why RAM makers advise to buy matched kits for the total RAM desired as timings will often change as the number of DIMMs and/or RAM capacity increases.

Test for system stability with the ram @ 1600 MHz. while waiting for a BIOS update from MSI if the slower timings, increased CPU NB and HT voltages do not correct the issue.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/15/2013 03:45 PM

Author Icon
cabledog2tuff4u
Peon

ok will try those settings, i just have to wait for time when i am off work . Either after midnight or early am.

It is not just a settigns change in the bios at this point. I have to shut down machine , unplug power. and then clear cmos. then pull existing sticks of the gskill 2133. ( 4 X 4 Gb sticks).

And then install the amd kit, and yes all 4 sticks of the AMD are matched. all serial numbers match in cpuz. A full kit of 32 Gb, ( 4 X 8 gb sticks of AMD Performance Radeon DDR3 ram ).

i will down clock the ram to 1600 and start from there and also contact msi, about the bios.

10/15/2013 05:46 PM

Author Icon
cabledog2tuff4u
Peon

10/15/2013 05:54 PM

Author Icon
cabledog2tuff4u
Peon

this is what i have now is the GSkill ARES 2133 DDR3 ram 4 X 4 Gb sticks @ 1.65 v

http://valid.canardpc.com/iku47p

Edited: 10/15/2013 at 06:01 PM by cabledog2tuff4u
Statistics
85414 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.