Topic Title: 8350FX 90c Need Warranty Claim
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/15/2013 03:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/15/2013 03:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Asylia
Peon

Hi, I have purchased this FX8350 on the 4/15/2013 and ever since I had temp problems I tried the stock cooler an aftermarket cheap 25$ cooler and finally i now own an h100i and my temps are horrible and getting worse. 

I never thought the problem could be the CPU itself but after 3 cpu coolers I can't think of anything else. It has NO overclock at all whatsoever and I'm probably never going to be able to. At this moment I have an h100i on it and idling at around 15c and when I put load on it like let's say just running bf4 my pc will shutdown in about 5 to 10m because of the temps reaching 90c+.

So, when I first installed the h100i (the first time before reseat and before trying an air cooler for about a month) I had idling temps that could reach as low as 8c but would quickly reach 60c on load that lasted for about a month or 2 then my pc started to shutdown (5 times) and then would stay stable for an other month...without shutdowns... I tried using an air cooler afterward and the temps on load would reach 75c+ so then I changed back to h100i and it's horrible I can't play any intensive game really because it WILL shutdown.

So is this covered? Can I get a replacement? Will I end up paying fees for something the company failed to do?  

Specs:

CPU: FX 8350

Motherboard: GA990FXA UD3

PSU: Corsair AX860

RAM: 16gb 1333mhz

Graphic Card: 2 x gtx780 sli 

10/15/2013 04:04 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I can't answer your warranty issues, but CPUs don't normally increase in operating temperature over their life.

The box fan that comes with the FX-8350 will keep the CPU "core temp" at or below 61C under full load. Some aftermarket HSFs are quieter than the OE box fan but they might not have any more thermal capacity - it really depends on the model HSF.

Obviously the highend HSFs do have a lot more cooling capacity than the OE fan, but even the OE fan should prevent excessive temps unless the ambient temp is quite high. The Corsair H100i is only marginally better than a highend HSF but it should be able to keep the CPU below the AMD specified 61C if properly mounted, no air issues, proper fan direction and volume, etc. A closed loop H2O cooler has a lot of potential issues that a quality HSF does not experience.

All of that being said - be sure that you are looking at the "core temp" NOT the CPU temp, which is a thermister mounted below the CPU socket on the mobo. The thermister will read anywhere from 10C-25C higher than the CPU "core temp". Unfortunately most software calls the thermister reading "CPU temp" but it really is not.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/15/2013 04:07 PM

Author Icon
Asylia
Peon

Even if there were any misread temps the pc is still shutting down because the readers are reading 90c. I am not sure what you would suggest?

10/15/2013 04:47 PM

Author Icon
George@AMD
Nerfed

A CPU would either work or it doesn’t. There isn’t anything much you can really do. I would just ensure that you cover your basis first. The next step you should take is to update your motherboard bios and set the bios to the optimized default settings. If the issue still persists then just file for a warranty request and get a new one.

Further details of warranty and the warranty request form is in the link below.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty

AMD Customer Care
The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

10/15/2013 05:17 PM

Author Icon
Asylia
Peon

Originally posted by: George@AMD

A CPU would either work or it doesn’t. There isn’t anything much you can really do. I would just ensure that you cover your basis first. The next step you should take is to update your motherboard bios and set the bios to the optimized default settings. If the issue still persists then just file for a warranty request and get a new one.

Further details of warranty and the warranty request form is in the link below.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/warranty

if I could "thank you" or give you a recommendation. I would do it times 100 for the response time and response quality you just gave me.

this was exactly what I needed

10/16/2013 03:05 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

If the PC is shutting down from the CPU actually running too hot, then it's important to understand if the problem is the CPU or the cooler. Otherwise a replacement CPU could experience the same issues.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/17/2013 09:27 PM

Author Icon
Asylia
Peon

How does the warranty claim works? How long will I be without a pc? 

10/21/2013 03:57 PM

Author Icon
George@AMD
Nerfed

It really depends where you are located which will determine how long you would be without a PC.

So once you will out the warranty form you should get two emails. One in regards to creating an account. Another email with your Service Request number. It should take about another 1 - 2 buriness days to get approved. When you get approved another email will follow with your RMA number and instructions on how to ship it back to AMD.

Sorry if this was a delayed response but i hope this helps.

AMD Customer Care
The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

10/28/2013 05:07 PM

Author Icon
Asylia
Peon

Thank you for answering nonetheless. I live in Canada,QC I will be away from home for about 10days and so I thought it would be the right time to proceed with the warranty claim. 

What scares me though is that these heat problems could have "heated/burned" the CPU as shown in the picture before proceeding to a claim but I have no way of being sure and I do not want to send it away simply to be told its not covered and have to pay the return fees... I guess if it was indeed burned like in the pictures it wouldn't work at all.. So I suppose I'm fine.

The problems have gotten worse recently, I can not even play a game for more than a few minutes sometimes before it shutsdown on me.

10/29/2013 06:22 AM

Author Icon
Asylia
Peon

So I've got my RMA approved, now I'm just waiting on your response regarding the post above to at least feel a bit secured

10/29/2013 10:34 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

No one can make any assurance of what AMD will do in regards to warranty. You'll just need to send it in and see what happens. You can request that they NOT return the CPU to you (at your expense), if it is not under warranty.

Statistics
86417 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.