Topic Title: AMD Opteron 6378
Topic Summary: AMD Opteron 6378
Created On: 10/16/2013 07:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/16/2013 07:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
RensiCG
Peon

All the good days. I work in 3d max + Vray. I want to buy AMD Opteron 6378 processors, while two. Compatible with these processors Windows 7? Will there really a noticeable difference in the speed of rendering scenes? Now processor Core Intel i7 980. And if I buy a motherboard based on 4 processors, they will all participate in the renderings? Thank you!

11/04/2013 01:29 AM

Author Icon
Simstim
Peon

I have 2 Quad Core Shanghai core 2.4 Ghz processors now. I use multithreaded programs like Maya and After Effects,,, in which you can select to use however many processor cores you choose, or all available resources.  Will be compatible with Windows 7. You can see some programs using only 1 or 2 cores even though you have more. But when you're rendering intense 3-D scenes and such, when the workload is spread over that many cores, it gets done smoothly, solidly and stable. Higher clock speed always will be better. if you buy a motherboard with 4 sockets, you will have 64 cores working for you as a RenderFarm. they will be expensive though, and you won't have usb 3 or sata 3 in some cases., but if you even just start with 2 processors, 32 cores,,,,or even one 6378 2.4 Ghz Abu Dhabi, you Will notice a difference from the Intel chip(s). Remember these are designed as servers, so they can run and run on and on. They don't have higher clock speeds because they would probably just burn out faster, But still are "smokin" during rendering. let me know if you have a question about that. I know I tried to fit a lot of info. Once I switched to AMD years ago, I never again bought Intel, and that's probably 10 different processors over the years.

-------------------------
 11/07/2013 08:22 PM

Author Icon
Simstim
Peon

Another Thought I Left Out. On any amount of cores, whether 16 cores on one processor or 4 processors with 16 cores each = 64 cores Total,,, I know Windows 8 64-bit for sure will utilize 100% of each core across all 64 cores. And you will still be able to work! But keep in mind it's only applicable to the programs that are multi-threaded and 3D Studio Max and various others, they will use all resources. (Not entirely sure on Vray)

I have run stress tests on my two 4-core processors (AMD Opteron 2378 Shanghai 2.4 GHz) (on a Server SuperMicro Motherboard) with Maya Rendering and running anything and everything I could imagine, and my system didn't blink, or miss a beat. Considering I have 8GB ECC Registered Ram, though not a lot, but quite adequate to run everything I had possible to test simultaneous. You will have your limitations on graphics modeling work while rendering depending on your card. (I recommend minimum 1 GB Ram memory per core, but you will benefit if you can increase that.)

Make sure you are running Windows 8 !!64-Bit Operating System ESSENTIAL!, Not 32-bit Operation System. These are 64-bit processors and to make Full use of them properly, you need 64-bit OS. Don't have it? Upgrade. It will cost you same as a stick of memory or two.

Windows 8 64-bit shows you in Task Manager, under Performance tab,,,click CPUand shows exactly your processor. Mine reads: "Quad-Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2378" ,,, and underneath shows your CPU Utilization Percentage Graphs. 1 Graph Per Core. Below that, it will display real time Utilization %, Speed (typically locked)2.4GHz on mine, Processes, Threads, Handles and Up Time. Next to that it has Maximum speed: 2.40 Gz, Sockets:2 Cores: 8, Logical Processors: 8, Virtualization: Enabled, L1 cache:1.0 MB, L2 cache: 4.0 MB, L3 cache: 12.0 MB

So you can see Windows 8, 64-bit gives you a little more insight as to your computer components and how it's being used realtime. I understand the 32-bit version won't show a performance utilization box graph for each core like Windows 8 does.

I hope that helps you.

-------------------------
Statistics
87587 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.