Topic Title: FX8350 build
Topic Summary: Need advice on components
Created On: 10/19/2013 08:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/19/2013 08:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDb
Peon

Hello ladies and gents. I am new to this forum so please bear with me if I come across as an ignoramus. I'm building a new system and my (obvious) choice of cpu is the 8350. I'm not sure if it's allowed here, but I need some recommendations on what brand/models to use for my mobo, power supply, case, RAM. I'm also looking at possibly closed-loop liquid cooling. With the video card, I kinda want to stick with AMD so I'm thinking of going with at least the Radeon 7850 (or should I go with the 7870? How about the R280? A price-to-performance ratio comparison would be nice).  By the way, I already have some components in mind, but I just wanted to see what others might suggest. Thank you in advance for your help. I would appreciate any advise you guys would give.

-------------------------
 10/19/2013 10:12 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Depends on what you will be using it for. Someone who builds a computer to play games such as Battlefield 4 at resolutions in excess of 1920x1080 will need something completely different than someone who just wants to play Minecraft.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/19/2013 10:36 PM

Author Icon
AMDb
Peon

Oops, I forgot to add what I'll be using it for. I'm not a really a gamer, but a having system capable of handling modern FPS would sure be nice. I am also planning on running multimple virtual machines on it as well as some software development tools. Here's what I have in mind:Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FXRAM: 32GB (what's a good spec/speed to pair with the FX8350?)PS : (at least) 750 watts 80-plus bronzeVideo card: Sapphire or XFX 7850. No plan for CrossFire (yet) Storage: SDD (for OS) + 7200 rpm HDD (files)Sound card: built-in from Mobo Case: CM Storm Stryker / Trooper or Corsaid Obsidian 650D or Graphite 600TCLC : CM Seidon 240mm radThe above items are my 'ideal' components based on my research thus far. Of course, I will definitely welcome alternative suggestions from other members. What do you guys think?Thanks again!

10/20/2013 04:09 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Unfortunately there are many possibilities and opinions on what hardware is best for a given application. Much will depend on your priorities, POV, etc.

As far as RAM freequency, either 1600 or 1866 MHz. is fine as tests show these are not a system bottleneck on a desktop CPU. The higher frequency RAM is just for entertainment value and a poor value. Make sure that you purchase ONE single RAM kit of 32GB as multiple RAM kits to achieve the 32GB total may not function well or at the specified RAM timings. Speaking of RAM timings, neither they nor frequency mean much in system performance once you reach 1600 MHz. so buy whatever meets your budget/interest. Back in the days of DDR/DDR2 timings and frequency were quite important but not with DDR3 running @ 1600 MHz. or higher.

As far as PSUs are concerned you will probably find that a Seasonic brand model is as good and as cheap as any available unless you can find a re-labeled Seasonic on sale for a better price. The prices on bronze vs. silver vs. gold do not vary much. Depending on the cost of electricity where you live and the amount of PC use you have, a "gold" model may be a better value, long term.

Unless you have some burning desire to get involved with H2O cooling and deal with the PC hardware damage liability from water leaks, I'd suggest a good quality tower HSF like the Aegir SD128264, which never leaks and can handle an OC'd FX-8350 running @ 4.7+ GHz. 24/7.

As far as mobos go Asrock, Asus and Gigabyte all produce good mobos. Unless your heart is set on the Asus for some reason the Asrock Extreme 9 is a better mobo, (at a lower price, IME), - depending on where you live. If you can find an Asrock 990FX Fatality around at a good price, it is also a very fine AM3+ mobo at a better price. 

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 10/21/2013 at 03:46 AM by AMDforMe
Statistics
85457 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.