Topic Title: Installed FX 8350 but it overheats with after effects ram preview mode
Topic Summary: Installed FX 8350 but it overheats with adobe after effects ram preview mode
Created On: 10/21/2013 02:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/21/2013 02:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cyberjo50
Peon

I originally had fx 4100 with H80i liquid cooling and it works okay in aftereffects. my pc never shuutsdown with it. later yesterday i bought fx8350 ro replace my cpu and when i test my after effects RAM preview, the temperature 18 - 25c goes up to 40-45C and sometimes 50C. i know its normal to gets hot because aftereffects used a lot of it but when it shuts down my computer all the time i do that is something that im frustrated with it. should i be using a new cooling system or i should reseat my cpu? i tried reseating my cpu with new thermal paste and tighten a lil bit but after 30min with aftereffects on and ram preview..my pc shuts down. any recommendation or ideas how to fix it?

10/21/2013 02:21 PM

Author Icon
cyberjo50
Peon

just to add up ,,im using core temp to monitor my cpu 

10/21/2013 03:27 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

A core temp of 50c is not likely the reason that your PC is shutting down. Something other than the CPU is likely the issue. When the FX-8xxx CPUs reach 70C they automatically throttle the CPU vcore voltage and frequency to prevent higher temps. The FX-8350 CPU would not shut the system down until ~90C. AMD's official 24/7 core temp for the FX-8350 is 61.1C and I have tested them to 70+ C without system shut down.

I'm guessing that your mobo, PSU, RAM or video card might be acting up with the increased load from the FX-8350. You can try running Memtest86+ V4.20 or V5.0 on the DIMMs overnight to see if they pass. You can also test with just one DIMM if you have multiple DIMMs. You can even reduce the RAM frequency if it's above 1600 MHz.

Make sure that your PSU can handle the FX-8350 which draws a lot of power under heavy usage. Also check to see what the GPU temp looks like full load. Re-seating the DIMMS/GPU card/CPU and cables is a good first step. Manually setting the RAM timings, voltages, LLC, etc. in BIOS may also be necessary with the FX-8xxx series CPUs for complete system stability.

If the mobo VRM is overheating, which it could be after 30 minutes of video game or stress testing, it can cause your PC to shut down. You can test this by adding a fan that blows cool air on the VRM heatsink.

BTW, while the H80i is not a great cooler it should be able to handle the FX-8350 at the stock frequency.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/21/2013 04:04 PM

Author Icon
cyberjo50
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe A core temp of 50c is not likely the reason that your PC is shutting down. Something other than the CPU is likely the issue. When the FX-8xxx CPUs reach 70C they automatically throttle the CPU vcore voltage and frequency to prevent higher temps. The FX-8350 CPU would not shut the system down until ~90C. AMD's official 24/7 core temp for the FX-8350 is 61.1C and I have tested them to 70+ C without system shut down.

I'm guessing that your mobo, PSU, RAM or video card might be acting up with the increased load from the FX-8350. You can try running Memtest86+ V4.20 or V5.0 on the DIMMs overnight to see if they pass. You can also test with just one DIMM if you have multiple DIMMs. You can even reduce the RAM frequency if it's above 1600 MHz.

Make sure that your PSU can handle the FX-8350 which draws a lot of power under heavy usage. Also check to see what the GPU temp looks like full load. Re-seating the DIMMS/GPU card/CPU and cables is a good first step. Manually setting the RAM timings, voltages, LLC, etc. in BIOS may also be necessary with the FX-8xxx series CPUs for complete system stability.

If the mobo VRM is overheating, which it could be after 30 minutes of video game or stress testing, it can cause your PC to shut down. You can test this by adding a fan that blows cool air on the VRM heatsink.

BTW, while the H80i is not a great cooler it should be able to handle the FX-8350 at the stock frequency.

"You can try running Memtest86+ V4.20 or V5.0 on the DIMMs overnight to see if they pass. You can also test with just one DIMM if you have multiple DIMMs. You can even reduce the RAM frequency if it's above 1600 MHz."

those are actually new to me as i haven't done it but i will research on how to adjust those frequency and test DIMM.

btw my current setup is 
680w power supply
8 gig ram corsair
GPU - Geforce GTX 550 ti
Mobo - SabertoothFX 990 R2.0 
cpu - fx8350 

Thanks for the info AMDforM.

First thing i realized maybe i reapplied too much thermal paste and will re apply it later when i get home.

i also need Memtest86+ 

Statistics
80976 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.