Topic Title: 125w Processor on 95w board
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/24/2013 05:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/24/2013 05:55 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

About 18 months ago I ordered a FX8120 125w & Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3.  The system worked fine for a while but soon began killing power supplies.  After replacing 4 or 5 PSU's I ended up getting a PSU that seemed to work.  However, the 12v atx connector started to burn and eventually became so scorched the board would often fail.I eventually traced the problem to a miss-sold processor.  The company had supplied me a FX8120 125w.  I can't return or replace as the company no longer exists.I've had the board cleaned and repaired and I'm now left with a 125w proc and a 95w board.  What I want to know is....Is it possible to run the proc as a Quad or Dualcore and keep the TDP below 95w?

-------------------------
Be careful what you wish for, you my get it.
 10/24/2013 09:20 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

You could disable cores in BIOS, but I would highly suggest you buy a new board, 125w boards are not that expensive.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 10/24/2013 09:20 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

If your mobo allows you to disable CPU cores in the BIOS you could try to run 4 cores. Lowering the core count or frequency will both reduce max power consumption. You might want to e-mail Gigabyte on this?

As far as the PSUs are concerned, it's highly unlikely the FX-8120 killed the PSUs unless they were very poor quality PSUs and unfit for the application. The fact that the power connector melted is an indication of high electrical resistance at the connector or excessive power consumption thru the circuit.

Per the link below the GA-970A-DS3 is rated up to 125w so the mobo should not be the issue, per se but it's odd that Gigabyte is listing the FX-8120 as a 95w CPU unless AMD made both a 95w and 125w models.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4122

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/24/2013 01:16 PM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

As per your link the Board does suppport certain 125w processors but the FX8120 isn't one of them.  The board only supports the 95w version.  It was through contacting Gigabyte support that I found out about what was causing the burnouts and PSU failures.I have 3 boards not doing anything at the moment.  A GA-970A-DS3 rev 1, a GA-970A-DS3 rev 3 and a Asus M5A78L-M LX3.  None of them support a 125w CPU.I'm going to use the GA-970A-DS3 with a FX6300 (95w) which should be ariving in the morning from Ebuyer.  Which board do you think will be the best temporary solution until I can order a new board in a few weeks?Thanks for your time and effort, it really is appreciated.

10/24/2013 03:36 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Gigabyte tech support is not always correct in the information they provide nor what is listed online. I am not aware of AMD offering a 95w FX-8120 that Gigabyte has listed, as an example. The mobo doesn't know or care what model CPU you install into it. If the mobo will run a 125w FX-6xxx CPU then it should run ANY 125w FX processor. That's why I suspect Gigabyte's online data is incorrect.

I don't believe the CPU caused the burnouts or PSU failures unless the PSUs were less than required to power your entire PC. The 40w difference in CPU ratings should not be a factor unless you had a way undersized PSU for the application.

Any of the three mobos should work fine with the FX-6300. I have no opinion of one being better than another unless there is some feature that you need.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/25/2013 04:08 AM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

After chatting with Gigabyte it seems my description of what's happening is pretty much what they expected.  I'm no expert, I'm just an amateur enthusiat working on a budget.  There are 2 versions of the FX8120, a Bulldozer 95w and a Zambezi 125w.  When I ordered the CPU I was expecting the Bulldozer 95w and I never thought to check when I installed it.  Lesson Learned. I'm currently using the ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 board as a temporary solution for a few weeks.  Running with 6 cores active and seems stable for now. http://s313.photobucket.com/user/Bloodsmite/media/Workingfornow_zpsc50abad2.png.html Again, a huge thanks for your time and effort.

10/25/2013 05:24 AM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

According to the information on CPU World both the 95W and 125W versions were Bulldozers. You can tell the difference by their part numbers.

AMD FX-8120 (95 Watts): FD8120WMW8KGU / FD8120WMGUSBX
AMD FX-8120 (125 Watts): FD8120FRW8KGU / FD8120FRGUBOX

AMD FX-Series microprocessor family (for 95W select Power: Standard power)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/TYPE-FX-Series.html

AMD FX-8120 (95 Watts)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8120%20FD8120WMW8KGU.html

AMD FX-8120 (125 Watts)
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Bulldozer/AMD-FX-Series%20FX-8120.html

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

10/25/2013 05:41 AM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

I stand corrected.  I was simply reading the information as listed by CPU-Z.  I've contacted Gigabyte (who I'm sure are now getting fed up of hearing from me) about getting both of their boards repaired as per the conversation I had with their tech support team.  Hoping for a good outcome with that but, to be honest, I'm not really holding out much hope.  I have to say that I'm extremely annoyed that the information provided by Gigabyte has been so misleading.  I should have checked the CPU was what I ordered, I accept that as my responsibility.  But to be fair both boards are listed as supporting 125w processors and both boards are listed as supporting the FX8120.  I never for one moment assumed that I would experience any problems. 

10/25/2013 07:59 AM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

I just had a very (non)productive talk with a Gigabyte customer service representative..  He accepts that the information they provide can be misleading but the problems I have been experiencing are all my fault.  They recommend I shut up and accept my losses as I don't have the money or experience to challenge their opinion.  Needless to say I won't be buying Gigabyte products any more and I am tempted to publicly publish all of my experiences with Gigabyte Technical Support and Gigabyte Customer Services for others to see.

10/25/2013 09:20 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Your experience with Gigabyte tech support is the reason they are losing a lot of customers IME. I have used many Giga mobos over the past 20 years and they have all been good but tech support has not. When I alerted them to issues with the VRM circuits on the AM3+ mobos running OC'd FX processors they advised me they had no problem. Then when I got them to conduct an actual test they confirmed the problem but said customers had no problems... I was one of their long time customers and like many I decided to go elsewhere.

You will note that they recently released a revised series of mobos with new VRM circuits to handle the FX-9xxx series CPUs and OC'd FX processors. These are identified as "XFA" models. They quietly stopped shipping the problem boards.  Any of the prior model Giga mobos will experience VRM circuit overheating with FX 8-core processors and with OC'd FX processors because they were designed for the 4-core Phenom II CPUs, not for the FX processors.

I switched to Asrock and use the 990FX Fatality mobo which has been replaced by the Extreme9 now. If you want a highend mobo, these are some of the best and far cheaper than Asus or Gigabyte. Testing has shown the Asrock to OC as well as either the Asus or Gigabyte for those who like to OC. I like the extra strength of the Giga mobos but if the engineering and support are lacking, then I move on.

All that being said I stand by my statements regarding your issues with the Giga mobo. If the socket is "properly" rated for a 125w CPU, it should run any AMD AM3+ CPU of 125w or less. It sounds like Gigabyte doesn't want you or other folks to know of the VRM issues they have been suffering on AM3+ mobos since the FX processors were released.

Hope the temp solution works. The FX 8-core CPUs are pretty sweet, especially the latest Vishera models. I'm hoping that AMD eventually releases the Steamroller AM3+ CPU that was previously on their roadmaps but they aren't saying anything yet.

10/25/2013 11:13 AM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

The truth is that I've had a long history of using Gigabyte motherboards dating back to my trusty old 486 DX4 100 but for the life of me I can't remember what that motherboard was called.  I still have a GA-7VM powered up and used as a legacy gaming machine for early DOS games.  

Whenever I've been spending my own money I've remained faithful to Gigabyte since probably the mid 90s.  I've also had access to a lot of high end stuff through work and I've had a long term loan (I assume that my company forgot I had it) of a Tyan 4886 D  running Server 2003 which  served me faultlessly from 2005 until about 18 months ago when I started the process of building this new system.  

I still have the Tyan Quad Socket with 4 * Dual Core Opterons but it only has a Sapphire HD3650 AGP so it's not much good as a gaming machine.  My main focus has always been playing chess and for that it was ideal.  The thing is though my kids are growing up, the eldest now being a teenager, and we've adopted World of Warcraft as a form of escape.  

My health as deserted me and I'm now suffering serious Renal Failure and no longer working. Nor am I ever going to return to work as I will not be getting better due to other complications.  Buying the Gigabyte board & FX8120 was an end-of-work treat that was supposed to entertain me for the next couple of years.  

With very little income coming in I have to budget extremely tightly so having 2 Gigabyte motherboards that have become a Money Pit isn't helping.  Thankfully the FX6300 is working on the Gigabyte rev 3.0 for now but due to the socket being so severely burned it occasionally faults and resets the PC.  The Gigabyte rev 1.0 is pretty much destroyed so I now have to decide what to do with the FX8120.  It's working, after a fashion as a quad core on the ASUS M5A78L-M LX3 (which doesn't support it) and peaks out at 83w.  I may just give up for now and save up for a TYAN 8225 and a couple of 8 cores for it.  We'll have to see what happens.

10/26/2013 10:56 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Yup Gigabyte has made some good mobos but their tech support has always been lacking IME. I like their Durable series mobos the best. They should have upgraded the VRM circuit on all AM3+ mobos for the FX processors but they waited until they lost a lot of customers before doing so. 

Sorry to hear about the health issues. I'm not far behind you... It's frustrating the end-of-work hardware didn't live up to expectations. Hopefully things will improve in the future.

10/26/2013 12:27 PM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

[URL=http://s313.photobucket.com/user/Bloodsmite/media/MaxSettingsStressTest_zpsf0e78739.png.html][/URL]

10/26/2013 12:32 PM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

That's the FX8120 working fine as a 6 core on an Asus board that doesn't support it.  No problems at all and it never went above 83w max.  It peaks at 98w with all 8 cores active but I'm not prepered to take the risk.  6 cores is more than enough for the time being.

I think I'm going to save up and go for another Tyan solution.

Again, thanks for all of your time, effort and support.  Really appreciated.

10/26/2013 03:56 PM

Author Icon
MisterEd
Nerfed

Originally posted by: nimzokarla I stand corrected.  I was simply reading the information as listed by CPU-Z.  I've contacted Gigabyte (who I'm sure are now getting fed up of hearing from me) about getting both of their boards repaired as per the conversation I had with their tech support team.  Hoping for a good outcome with that but, to be honest, I'm not really holding out much hope.  I have to say that I'm extremely annoyed that the information provided by Gigabyte has been so misleading.  I should have checked the CPU was what I ordered, I accept that as my responsibility.  But to be fair both boards are listed as supporting 125w processors and both boards are listed as supporting the FX8120.  I never for one moment assumed that I would experience any problems. 

I have found you always need to doublecheck information. I find CPU-Z to be correct probably 99+% of the time. One time after finding it misidentified a CPU I had I reported the problem. I received a reply and thank you from CPU-Z's developer that this would be corrected in the next update. Did you notify the error you found to CPU-Z's developer?

I can see how owners of the GA-970A-DS3 could have been mistaken what CPU works with it. I just looked at the CPU compatibility list. What stands out is not what CPUs are in the list but which ones are not. The FX-8120 in the CPU comapability list is the 95 watt version not the 125 watt one. How many people even know that there are two versions? Gigabyte should have forseen that and put a footnote in the list to point that out.

There are two lessons here:
1. CPU models sometimes come in more than one power rating
2. Be cautious about older motherboard designs. If some newer CPU models are left out of the compatability list then that should raise a red flag. That should tell you to be careful what CPU you buy because not every one in that series is supported.

Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 | AMD FX-8350 | Corsair H60 Cooler | GSkill RipjawsX (2x4GB) | ASUS GeForce GTX 560 | WD Caviar Blue 1TB | Seagate 750GB | ASUS 24X DVD/RW| Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
ASUS M4N82 Deluxe | AMD Phenom II X4 960T | Corsair XMS2(2x2GB) | PNY GeForce GTS 250 (1GB) | Seagate 300GB | Maxtor 200GB/250GB | Memorex 20X DVD/RW | Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

10/26/2013 04:45 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I think this is a rare situation where Gigabyte may have originally indicated that all of the FX processors worked fine on their AM3+ mobos until they discovered the VRM circuits were inadequate, then they selectively edited the CPU approved list. A properly rated 125w mobo should run ANY PII or FX processor, but as I previously advised, I had to prove to Gigabyte that their AM3+ mobo VRM circuits were incapable of supplying sufficient power for 8-core FX processors.

The lesson to be learned is Gigabyte didn't properly engineer their AM3+ mobos and as a result many customers had issues and many customers returned these defective design mobos and bought other brands. IME and that of many other long time Giga mobo users, Gigabyte turned out to be a huge disappointment on the AM3+ model mobos and there rep has definitely been damaged as a result. That can be seen in any of the PC hardware forums.

Nimzokarla-

Glad the FX-8120 is working well on 6-cores on the Asus mobo.

10/28/2013 07:44 AM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

God bless my missus. Tyan 8225 and 2 C32 Opterons ordered. The bad thing is I can't touch it until Christmas.

10/28/2013 09:40 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

At least you have a nice Christmas present to look forward too.

10/30/2013 07:35 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

My mothboard is marked for 140W which means it can support the power pig C2 version of my CPU as well as the 125W C3 version I use.

I like the better power rated boards so I am able to buy better grade processors which are better suited for games.

I have used Gigabyte, they are OK but of late I have used Asus mainly as they had a model I wanted and so far they have been reasonable.

10/30/2013 10:07 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The mobo VRM circuit issues are primarily with the 8-core FX CPUs though a poorly engineered mobo could have an issue with a 125w-140w PII.

I also buy the better mobo models for durability and reliability under high stress where the cheaper models often suffer problems. It only cost pennies more for a mobo maker to build a proper VRM circuit over an "economy" version so to me it's penny wise and pound foolish, especially when it damages their reputation.

Statistics
85719 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.