Topic Title: 125w Processor on 95w board
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/24/2013 05:55 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2013 08:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

I have to share this with you.  My normally perfect anger management is slipping.  I'll gladly provide photographic proof of the damage that each of these boards has suffered should anyone request it.

Answer : Dear Sir,

For your reference, this GA-970A-D3 (rev. 3.0) board does support FX8120 125W CPU.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4395

Question - 1417739
Sent : 10/31/2013 20:04
Question : After 20 years of being a Gigabyte customer this is the first time I've known Gigabyte to deliberately lie. I've sought out and checked all relevant information via the AMD support forums. I've also seen the original CPU support list. You recently released a revised series of motherboards with new VRM circuits to handle the FX-9xxx series CPUs and OC'd FX processors. These are identified as "XFA" models. Perhaps if you'd acknowledged faulty VRM circuits on the GA-970A boards we wouldn't be discussing this.
Answer - 1417727

We have check there wasn't FX8120 125W CPU listed before. If it was there please refer to our previous reply "Due to the hardware design limitation this board doesn't support FX8120 125W CPU".

The entire materials provided herein are for reference only. GIGABYTE reserves the right to modify or revise the content at anytime without prior notice.
Question - 1417727
Sent : 10/31/2013 19:42
Question : That doesn't answer my question. When I originally checked CPU compatibilities the FX8120 (125w) was listed. When I checked recently the FX8120 (125w) had been removed. I'm asking why? I know now that the board actually doesn't support the FX8120 125W CPU anymore. I'm trying to find out what happened to cause the FX8120 125W CPU to be removed from the list.
Answer - 1417712

Due to the hardware design limitation this board doesn't support FX8120 125W CPU.
Question - 1417712
Sent : 10/31/2013 19:02
Question : I need to ask, why was the FX8120 (125w) listed as compatible with the GA-970A-DS3 boards and now the processor has been removed from the compatibility list? I bought this board and processor according to the information provided on the CPU support list and I now find that information has been changed? Why?
Answer - 1415399

Thanks for your feedback. As suggested on our previous reply please contact GBT UK Return Department to confirm the board is repairable.

returns@gbt-tech.co.uk
Question - 1415399
Sent : 10/25/2013 16:04
Question : It seems I've found the source of the problem. I'm using a FX8120 (125w) and, despite being told the board supports FX8120 and that it's 125w compatible, the board doesn't support the processor. I replaced the GA-970A-DS3(rev. 1.0) with a GA-970A-DS3(rev. 3.0) on the assurance that the processor was compatible.

Again the information I was supplied was incorrect and I am left with 2 Gigabyte boards that I am unable to use. Given the situation I'm now thinking that my long association with Gigabyte products is at an end. It would seem that I am unable to rely on them any more.

I can and will provide any evidence and information you need to view what's happening. The 12v ATX connector is seriously burned on the new board too. The PSU 4 pin connector is also melted too.

All together I think I've wasted over £500 trying to solve this problem, quite possibly a lot more. All due to misleading information.
Answer - 1401734

Please contact GBT UK Return Department to confirm the board is repairable.

returns@gbt-tech.co.uk
Question - 1401734
Sent : 9/16/2013 22:52
Question : I can't return the item to the dealer as it no longer exists. I've tried several PSU over the 9 months of dealing with this problem. I'm currently using a OCZ 650w but the problem remains. The PSU hasn't blown yet but the board crashes / restarts, or crashes and fails to restart. Only a strip and rebuild with a bios reset clears the problem.

I have Overclocked, simply out of curiosity, never over a period greater than a few hours. I found the performance gain to be too minimal to make it worth it. The board hasn't been overclocked in the last 6 months.

I've been a faithful customer of Gigabyte since the late 90's, maybe early 2000s and never had any problems at all.

Is there any way I can return the board to be checked?

I understand it may be beyond repair and may need to be scrapped but would like to know if it's been caused by something I've done or if the board was faulty?
Answer - 1401448

The 4pin 12V_ATX connector look likes it has burnt.

Did you not contact the dealer when the first PSU blown? Do you replace the 8 same PSU?

Did you overclock the system?

No definite answers for you I’m afraid. It's one of those cases that would need to be physically checked.

Please return to your dealer for 2nd opinion or RMA. Sorry for any inconvenience.

-------------------------
Be careful what you wish for, you my get it.
 10/31/2013 09:00 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

The above is a VERY typical response from Gigabyte tech support (sic), IME. This is precisely why I no longer use Gigabyte mobos after using them for a long, long time. Their tech support is disingenuous and often clueless on product technical knowledge IME.

As you can see they refused to advise you that the mobo VRM circuit would overheat with an 8-core 125w FX CPU, though this has been established for over two years as I demanded they conduct their own test to see with their own eyes the very real problem with their AM3+ mobos and 8-core FX processors.

The unscrupulous behavior of Gigabyte tech support (sic) has cost them dearly as many Gigabyte customers have moved on to other brands with better engineering and technical support. This is unfortunate as Gigabyte's Durable series mobo is a nice product but they just did not engineer the VRM circuit properly to support the 125w 8-core FX processors.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

10/31/2013 09:03 AM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

They duck and weave to avoid any responsibility and it's disgusting.  I've fully accepted my part is this problem.  They refuse any responsibility.  After filling out the return form they won't even accept my boards for return or repair.  I will NEVER buy Gigabyte again.

10/31/2013 10:18 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I knew there were issues with Gigabyte back several years ago when they started the "dance" about the VRM issues on the AM3+ mobos.

Even though the new XFA UD models have the revised VRM circuit to address this issue, I have zero confidence in Gigabyte's tech support so I'm going to pass on their products and stick with the Asrock boards as I find them to perform as advertised and equal to or better than Asus and Gigabyte mobos in overclocking.

From my personal experience with all three company's tech support, Asrock is lightyears ahead of the other two and Asrock actually cares about their customers. They routinely provide new BIOS when an issue is discovered with new RAM, etc. and that's the way it should be for a company promoting their products as being designed for enthusiasts.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

10/31/2013 10:25 AM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

My reply to you is simple.  Thank you for your time and effort.

That Asus board that doesn't support the FX8120 (125w) is running quite happily with all 8 cores enables at 95w.  Max temp of 56c.

Given the circumstances I'm going to leave it alone and just use it as is.  Christmas is coming, Tyan and C32 will live up to expectation and it's supplied direct from Tyan.  Meanwhile I'm going to kickback and enjoy Skyrim in all it's glory.

10/31/2013 12:49 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Glad to help. That's my purpose for being here.

That Tyan should be fun. I've been after the server mobo makers to produce some quality dual-socket mobos with full OC capabilities, for enthusiasts. The server makers know all the weak points and what can be leveraged for performance on a dual socket mobo. They are use to working with multi-socket mobos and know they must deliver completely reliable products, unlike some of the single socket enthusiasts mobo makers who use their customers as "unpaid beta testers".

Cheers!

11/05/2013 12:56 PM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

http://ggts.gigabyte.com.tw/detailEmail.asp?EmailID=1419586&EmailPreviousID=1401448&LanguageID=1

11/05/2013 01:09 PM

Author Icon
nimzokarla
Peon

? ? ?

Question - 1419586

?

Raymond Dale [ nimzokarla@hotmail.com ]

Sent :

11/6/2013 01:50

Question :

Your previous answers (Answer - 1418917 and Answer - 1417739) were a complete lie then. I shall be contacting the police as you have committed deliberate fraud, and I shall also be forwarding this complete post to the trading standards officer. Please feel free to pass this reply on to your superior as I should like to speak to him directly.

You can also contact me directly on 01773 780335 before I pass your replies on to the local press and PC magazines and AMD forums.

Answer - 1419562

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

You are not installing a CPU that the motherboard supported.

GA-970A-DS3 (rev. 3.0) does not support FX8120 125W CPU.

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4385

Question - 1419562

?

Sent :

11/6/2013 01:01

Question :

After reading your Assurances..........

Ok. Here we go with my 3rd attempt using a brand new board bought direct from Ebuyer and delivered today.

GA-970-DS3 rev 3.0
Corsair 650W OCZ Power Supply. Brand new today from PC World (Mansfield)
1 stick of Kingston Value Ram 4GB from another running PC that I have.
Asus 6570 graphics card.
FX8120 (125w) CPU.

WD Blue Edition with Windows 7 installed from a previous attempt using an earlier GA-970-DS3 rev.3.

Turned PC on for first time at 10:55 am.

Did some updates to Windows 7. Went for lunch and came back at 12:30pm. PC hadn't been turned off during this time.

Played World of Warcraft on the newly built PC from 12:30pm until 15:15pm when the PSU blew.

The result is the 12v ATX connector on the new board is clearly burned. The 12v connector from the PSU is melted and no longer works after testing.

I want to know what you have to say regarding this before I go to Trading Standards in the morning.

Answer - 1418917

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

GA-970A-DS3(rev. 1.0) and GA-970A-D3 (rev. 3.0) re two different boards.

Please see the CPU Support List below:

GA-970A-DS3(rev. 1.0) doesn't support FX8120 125W CPU:

http://www.gigabyte.com/support-downloads/cpu-support-popup.aspx?pid=4122

GA-970A-D3 (rev. 3.0) does support FX8120 125W CPU:

Attachment :

Attach photo

:

? ?

Attach photo

:

Question - 1418917

?

Sent :

11/4/2013 16:53

Question :

I'm not sure you're reading what I'm saying.

I'm using a GA-970A-DS3 revision 3.0 with a FX8120 processor. Your answers alternate between "It supports the processor" and "It doesn't support the processor."

To quote.........

Answer - 1418298

As on our previous reply due to the hardware design limitation this board doesn't support FX8120 125W CPU. Therefore it could be the reason melting the ATX connector.

Answer - 1417739

Dear Sir,

For your reference, this GA-970A-D3 (rev. 3.0) board does support FX8120 125W CPU.

Does the board support the processor or doesn't it?

Your responses have been deliberately misleading and evasive. Given the circumstances I feel I have no other recourse other than to contact TRADING STANDARDS.

Regards,

Raymond.

Answer - 1418298

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

As on our previous reply due to the hardware design limitation this board doesn't support FX8120 125W CPU. Therefore it could be the reason melting the ATX connector.

Question - 1418298

?

Sent :

11/2/2013 05:51

Question :

Then why is it burning the female 12v ATX connector on the board and melting the 12v male connector on every PSU I use? After replacing every item used in the PC the only item that hasn't been replaced on the rev 3.0 board is the FX8120 CPU.

Answer - 1417739

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

Question - 1417739

?

Sent :

10/31/2013 20:04

Question :

After 20 years of being a Gigabyte customer this is the first time I've known Gigabyte to deliberately lie. I've sought out and checked all relevant information via the AMD support forums. I've also seen the original CPU support list. You recently released a revised series of motherboards with new VRM circuits to handle the FX-9xxx series CPUs and OC'd FX processors. These are identified as "XFA" models. Perhaps if you'd acknowledged faulty VRM circuits on the GA-970A boards we wouldn't be discussing this.

Answer - 1417727

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

We have check there wasn't FX8120 125W CPU listed before. If it was there please refer to our previous reply "Due to the hardware design limitation this board doesn't support FX8120 125W CPU".

The entire materials provided herein are for reference only. GIGABYTE reserves the right to modify or revise the content at anytime without prior notice.

Question - 1417727

?

Sent :

10/31/2013 19:42

Question :

That doesn't answer my question. When I originally checked CPU compatibilities the FX8120 (125w) was listed. When I checked recently the FX8120 (125w) had been removed. I'm asking why? I know now that the board actually doesn't support the FX8120 125W CPU anymore. I'm trying to find out what happened to cause the FX8120 125W CPU to be removed from the list.

Answer - 1417712

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

Due to the hardware design limitation this board doesn't support FX8120 125W CPU.

Question - 1417712

?

Sent :

10/31/2013 19:02

Question :

I need to ask, why was the FX8120 (125w) listed as compatible with the GA-970A-DS3 boards and now the processor has been removed from the compatibility list? I bought this board and processor according to the information provided on the CPU support list and I now find that information has been changed? Why?

Answer - 1415399

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

Thanks for your feedback. As suggested on our previous reply please contact GBT UK Return Department to confirm the board is repairable.

returns@gbt-tech.co.uk

Question - 1415399

?

Sent :

10/25/2013 16:04

Question :

It seems I've found the source of the problem. I'm using a FX8120 (125w) and, despite being told the board supports FX8120 and that it's 125w compatible, the board doesn't support the processor. I replaced the GA-970A-DS3(rev. 1.0) with a GA-970A-DS3(rev. 3.0) on the assurance that the processor was compatible.

Again the information I was supplied was incorrect and I am left with 2 Gigabyte boards that I am unable to use. Given the situation I'm now thinking that my long association with Gigabyte products is at an end. It would seem that I am unable to rely on them any more.

I can and will provide any evidence and information you need to view what's happening. The 12v ATX connector is seriously burned on the new board too. The PSU 4 pin connector is also melted too.

All together I think I've wasted over £500 trying to solve this problem, quite possibly a lot more. All due to misleading information.

Answer - 1401734

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

Please contact GBT UK Return Department to confirm the board is repairable.

returns@gbt-tech.co.uk

Question - 1401734

?

Sent :

9/16/2013 22:52

Question :

I can't return the item to the dealer as it no longer exists. I've tried several PSU over the 9 months of dealing with this problem. I'm currently using a OCZ 650w but the problem remains. The PSU hasn't blown yet but the board crashes / restarts, or crashes and fails to restart. Only a strip and rebuild with a bios reset clears the problem.

I have Overclocked, simply out of curiosity, never over a period greater than a few hours. I found the performance gain to be too minimal to make it worth it. The board hasn't been overclocked in the last 6 months.

I've been a faithful customer of Gigabyte since the late 90's, maybe early 2000s and never had any problems at all.

Is there any way I can return the board to be checked?

I understand it may be beyond repair and may need to be scrapped but would like to know if it's been caused by something I've done or if the board was faulty?

Answer - 1401448

?

Answer :

Dear Sir,

The 4pin 12V_ATX connector look likes it has burnt.

Did you not contact the dealer when the first PSU blown? Do you replace the 8 same PSU?

Did you overclock the system?

No definite answers for you I'm afraid. It's one of those cases that would need to be physically checked.

Please return to your dealer for 2nd opinion or RMA. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Question - 1401448

?

Sent :

9/16/2013 03:18

Question :

I've had a repeated problem with blown PSUs. I've replaced 8 so far. The problem has also blown a FX4100 CPU and a NVidia 450GTS GPU. I've replaced every component, including the CPU cooler & Case, over the last 9 months. The only item that persists is the MB yet the problem persists leaving no other possible causes.

Please note that in the upper right hand corner of the MB the 12v 4 pin connector looks scorched.

I'd like to know what's wrong before this causes any more damage.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Model Name : GA-970A-DS3(rev. 1.0)
--------------------------
M/B Rev : 1.0
BIOS Ver : 7a
Serial No. : SN120940016998
Purchase Dealer : Jobero, Alfreton, Derbyshire, UK.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
VGA Brand : XFX Model : 6870
CPU Brand : AMD Model : FX8120 Speed : 3100
Operation System : Win 7 64-bit SP :
Memory Brand : Kingston Type :
Memory Size : 4gb Speed : 1333
Power Supply : Alpine 500 W

User Attached :

MEMORY-STICK.jpg
Motherboard-TOP.jpg
PSU.jpg

11/06/2013 09:22 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Unfortunately Gigabyte tech support (sic) is hopeless and incompetent, IME. It does not surprise me at all that they would make false, technically uninformed statements. The situation with Gigabyte tech support IMO is futile. It's like pounding your head against the wall.

You might as well just give up as they simply don't care about quality customer service. Thankfully consumers get to vote with their wallet. When Gigabyte gave me the run-around on the AM3+ VRM issues even after I had them prove the issue existed, I simply bought the Asrock 990FX Fatality mobo which is superior in performance and relieability to the Giga mobos.

If Gigabyte or any other company loses enough business they will either improve their products and service or go out of business... They don't deserve our money if they can't deliver quality products and customer support. Voting with your wallet can be very effective.

AMD Support and Game » AMD Processors (CPU) » 125w Processor on 95w board

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics
88974 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.