Topic Title: Building a New PC - AMD FX 8350 Black Edition
Topic Summary: Tips and help for a new PC
Created On: 10/27/2013 10:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/27/2013 10:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Antaris
Peon

Hello everyone.

I would like to ask your help to build my new computer. I already have in my house a new Mid-Tower NZXT Lexa Classic Series.

I will not do overclocking in my computer.

The equipment I have in my mind to buy is this:

- AMD FX 8350 Black Edition 4.0/4.2GHz;

- Seasonic Platinum 460W;

- Asus SABERTOOTH 990FX/GEN3 R2.

My questions are:
- Which one you recommend: power supply of 460W or 550W?
- This motherboard from Asus is good or there's other much better?
- What is the best memory brand to buy? I will use 8GB/1866Mhz.
- What is the best cooling for the CPU?

I really appreciate all the help.

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

John.

10/28/2013 10:14 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

A lot of your questions are subject to personal opinions. There is a lot of objective testing of mobos, RAM, CPU coolers, etc. online if you desire factual information vs. opinion.

I will give you my opinion based on personal experience, a lot of testing and some online objective scientific testing.

The Seasonic PSUs as you probably know are top shelf so it's just a matter of picking one that has sufficient power for your application. I would recommend the 550w unless you have a very power hungry GPU card, which could require a >600+w unit. If electricity is expensive where you live then a certified "gold" model may save you money long term. If not any of the Seasonic models of 550w or higher will be fine.

Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, MSI and others make good mobos IME. I would not pay a premium for an Asus or Gigabyte mobo however as they have not proven to perform any better than an Asrock, which IMO is the best value in AM3+ mobos right now. The Extreme9 Asrock has a proper VRM circuit to handle the high power consumption of the FX-8350. If you decide on a Gigabyte mobo be sure to get one of the new "XFA", "UD"  models as the prior models can NOT properly supply sufficient current to the FX-8xxx series CPUs without overheating the VRM circuit. The mobo VRM circuit is very important when using an FX-8xxx CPU so you will need one of the highend 8-12 phase VRM circuit AM3+ mobos to handle this CPU.

Any of the name brand DDR3 RAM will work fine in your PC be it AMD, Corsair, G.Skill, Mushkin or the other brands. What is important is to buy ONE RAM kit of the total RAM quantity that you desire. In other words buy (1) 8GB kit not several RAM kits to total 8GB. As far as RAM frequency 1866 MHz. is the default FX RAM frequency so that would be fine. You don't need top mounted heatsinks on the RAM so don't pay extra for them as DDR3 RAM runs cool.

As far as HSF coolers there are many good ones. The link below shows an excellent database of thermal efficiency and capacity of many of the popular HSFs tested under controlled scientific conditions for accurate results. I am using the Aegir SD128264 on my FX-8350 OC'd to 4.7 GHz. and it works wonderfully and is priced right, IMO. If you chose a tower cooler make sure that it will fit in your case and clear the RAM you chose.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=2572&page=4

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/28/2013 04:53 PM

Author Icon
Antaris
Peon

Thanks a lot for your reply AMDforMe!

I really like this board ASRock 990FX Extreme9 but I saw more reviews saying good things about Asus than ASRock. I don't know which one I should choose, but ASRock have more features, except that Asus supports PCIe 3.0 and ASRock don't.

Cheers.

10/28/2013 10:49 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Buy what makes you happy. Either board should work fine though I feel Asrock's quality control is better as Asus uses multiple companies to produce their mobos. IME Asrock's tech support is far better than Asus' or Gigabyte's.

I've only had two mobos fail in 20 years of building PCs and they were both Asus. Asus tried to replace the almost new defective mobo with an old, dirty, used mobo that someone had manually replaced components on and resoldered. I sent it back and bought a Gigabyte to replace the Asus.

As far as PCIe 3.0 is concerned it's a technology that may be of interest down the road but current GPU cards can't saturate PCIe 2.1 so there is no immediate need for PCIe 3.0. Asus uses PCIe 3.0 as a marketing gimmick because most consumers don't know the facts that PCIe 2.1 is more than sufficient for now and that PCIe 3.0 offers no tangible benefit.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Statistics
84836 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.