Topic Title: Fx-8120 frequency problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/30/2013 09:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/30/2013 09:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
hellgamer014
Peon

Hello,

my pc is:

CPU: FX-8120 @ 3.1 /w stock cooler

VIDEO: HD7770 ghz edition sapphire

MOBO: Asus m5A78L-M/USB3

RAM: 1x4 gskill 1333mhz + 1x4 corsair vengeance LP 1600mhz

PSU: generic spektra 550W

well my problem is when i have the default configuration for the cpu i mean turbo core enable, c6 state enable, cool n quiet enable and q-fan enabled the cpu frquencies fluctuates too much when i play (example, playing league of legends at 60fps on a team fight it falls to 10fps from nothing) , so people told me that i need to desactivate all that things and the cpu still on 3.1ghz but the temperatures are too high (50°C idle - 65-70 on charge), but when i play or i really charge the cpu the frequency lows to 1.4ghz and then up to 3.1ghz and continue doing that. 

i really tried everything i found on internet, they told me that the psu is the problem but i need a warrantied answer before please, maybe its a cpu problem.

i uploaded images from my bios and a stress test that i did.

http://s869.photobucket.com/user/hellgamer014/library/bios

10/30/2013 10:51 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

If the CPU frequency doesn't change when you disable all of the power saving settings then there is nothing wrong with the CPU. It's also unlikely your PSU is the issue either, though it might be borderline with a 7770 GPU and an 8-core FX CPU.

The VRM circuit on the mobo can over-heat after some time of heavy use with the 8-core FX CPUs and then lower the CPU vcore and frequency to protect the mobo VRM circuit. You might try a fan blowing directly on the VRM heatsink. Make sure that you have good airflow thru your PC case to exhaust the hot air coming off the CPU and GPU as there will be a lot with an 8-core FX processor.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/30/2013 11:07 AM

Author Icon
hellgamer014
Peon

the problem keeps when i use the pc without vga

so you think this is a temperature problem?? have you saw the pictures of my bios? people told me that these volts were wrong, are off the rule they said

i keep my case open, if i dont, the temperatures were really high, i've changed the thermal compound too.

i dont know what happen, the mobo its really new it has no more than 4 months, and the cpu is almost 13 months

10/30/2013 12:44 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

From the pictures I'm not sure what voltages are "suppose to be wrong" in the BIOS but if you are using the BIOS "CPU Temp", then I believe that you are reading the wrong sensor. This is typically the temperature for the thermister mounted below the CPU socket and it typically reads 10C-25C above the CPU core temp, depending on load. You might want to try the software application "Core Temp" as it reads the actual CPU core temp, which is what matters, not the thermister or socket temp.

I'd also try the fan on the VRM circuit to see if it makes any difference.

When you have all of the power savings options enabled, the CPU is suppose to change frequency based on load and temps. If the mobo VRM circuit is not the issue you may find that disabling the power saving features provides the results that you want if the core temp is reasonable.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

10/30/2013 08:41 PM

Author Icon
hellgamer014
Peon

hello,

well i tried the cooler over the vrm and it works! the problem was that de vrm is overheated and now the frequencies are normal and still on 3.1ghz 

thanks for your help

10/30/2013 09:59 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

GREAT !

This is a pretty common problem on 8-core FX CPUs as most of the mobos really were not designed for these processors thus the VRM gets so hot it has to lower the frequency and vcore to prevent damage to the mobo.

10/31/2013 03:40 AM

Author Icon
hellgamer014
Peon

i really thank your help , i know i need to change the psu but its not necesary to solve my problem 

10/31/2013 08:50 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

It can take a lot of time to troubleshoot PC technical issues. I discovered the VRM issue on AM3+ mobos while conducting extensive FX-8350 development. Many other folks have now confirmed the VRM overheating issue during stress testing or with long video game play. Anything that can load the 8-cores continuously is likely to eventually overheat the VRM unless you add additional cooling.

Statistics
85480 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.