Topic Title: Overheating FX-8320 when rendering
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/31/2013 04:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/31/2013 04:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Burtannia
Peon

Have had my FX-8320 for about a year and have had no problems but over the past couple of days when rendering videos with Sony Movie Studio Platinum (have also been doing this for about a year and not had problems) my CPU overheats and my PC just straight turns off, no errors or bsod. I cleaned the dust from my cpu fan and case etc. and checked all the cable, everything is fine. Core temp tells me that the rest temp of my cpu is 20-30 degrees but as soon as I start rendering it shoots up to 70-80 within seconds and my PC turns off. NEED TO GET THIS FIXED BY  TUESDAY TO UPLOAD COD GHOSTS TO YOUTUBE!

10/31/2013 10:01 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Have you installed fresh TIM and made sure the HSF is mounted tightly to the CPU? Is there good airflow thru your PC case. Is the HSF running at full speed when the CPU is under full load? If so and the vcore hasn't changed it's hard to imagine how the CPU would suddenly start running hot. Also are you reading "core temps" or "CPU temp" as core temps is what you need to read, NOT CPU temp which is the CPU socket thermister.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

11/01/2013 10:49 AM

Author Icon
Burtannia
Peon

I have checked the thermal paste and there doesn't seem to be an issue, I resat the cpu fan which is securely on. The cores and cpu temp both rocket to 70+ then up to 90 when my pc turns off. My case should have good airflow as there are two 140mm fans on top and an exhaust fan with two 120mms at the front. The HSU looks as though it is running fine so I'm really confused.

11/01/2013 11:57 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

I can't imagine how a CPU temp would increase as you're shutting down the PC vs. full load use? That's a new one... The core temp and CPU temp should not be the same when under load as the CPU temp which is the thermister typically runs 10C-25C higher than the core temp depending on the load and length of time under sustained load.

Any chance you could have sonmeone install your CPU in their mobo to see if the temps are the same?

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

11/01/2013 12:32 PM

Author Icon
Burtannia
Peon

No the PC temp increases when I'm rendering. It goes from 30 degrees on idle to critical within seconds and then my PC just turns off, no errors or bsod. The core temp is lower than cpu temp when idle but both increase insanely quickly when rendering and within seconds my PC turns off.

11/01/2013 01:44 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

That's weird. It sounds like the HSF isn't even touching the CPU heat spreader for the temp to jump so rapidly. It would be nice to test that CPU in another system to see if the results are the same. Have you checked the vcore to make sure it hasn't somehow jumped up?

11/01/2013 03:18 PM

Author Icon
Burtannia
Peon

What do you mean by vcore? Would not be possible to test on another system.

11/01/2013 10:32 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

vcore is the CPU voltage set in the BIOS. Normally this is set automatically but if there is some issue and the vcore increased, this could cause the CPU to run unusually hot. If you don't normally mess with the BIOS settings then I would not suggest doing so at this point. The vcore under full load is usually around 1.32v but it varies with load and frequency and even by CPU. If your vcore is showing say 1.4v or higher then something would be wrong with the BIOS/vcore setting.

The software applet CPU-Z will show you the CPU core voltage and frequency real time. This might help diagnose the CPU overheating issue?

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

Is there a possibility of borrowing another FX-8000 series CPU to try in your PC?

11/02/2013 12:01 AM

Author Icon
MyMedia59
Farming Materials

maybe the cpu fan is worn?

for me not more than 53C under full load

GA 990FXA-UD3v3
AMD FX-8320
Kingston 8GB 1600 HyperX
GPU Gigabyte R685OC-1GD
1x SATA3 WD Blue / 1x SSHD ST1000DX001 / 1x STBV2000300
Corsair 620W
Win7x64

11/02/2013 01:35 AM

Author Icon
Mkissner
Farming Materials

When you checked your TIM, you re-apply it when re-seated the heatsink??..

Like AMDforME said, and I share that same opinion, it seems that the cooler isn't seated properly. There's no way ANY cpu could rise temps that fast when everything is supposed to be properly installed and/or working well..

Since you said that everything were okey for about a year, and then, suddenly, your system started to behave like that, then maybe there's something wrong.. But, without any other relevant info about your system specs, it's hard to tell..

Could be the PSU, could be the mobo and/or circuitry, could be the cpu heatsink fan(s)..

Please, fill the info as the STICKY said, and then maybe we could bring you more help...

Best regards...

8320 @ 4,7 / 990FXA UD5 / 7950 @ 1100-6000 / Switch 810 / H110 p-p / 16 GB RAM / 23" 5760x1080 / SSD 64GB RAID0 / HX750 / SB Recon3D Fatal1ty Champion / z506

11/02/2013 11:41 AM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

MyMedia59's posted pics is a perfect example of the CPU core voltage (vcore) being correct at 1.320v and his FX-8320 not overheating under heavy loads such as IntelBurn stress testing which would simulate rendering loads on the CPU.

I would add that if you are using the AMD HSF that comes with the "boxed" processor, then the fan should be running at full speed and be audible when the CPU is under heavy load because the small fans need to run at high speed like 5,000 rpm to provide sufficient airflow for cooling. If the fan is not running at full speed under CPU load then the CPU will quickly overheat with the OE HSF.

11/02/2013 02:29 PM

Author Icon
Burtannia
Peon

I have solved the problem. The voltage was rocketing to over 1.4V when I rendered so I went into BIOS and took it down by 0.1. I can now render a video and do other things whilst maintaining below 70 degrees. Thanks for all the help! I have also ordered some new thermal paste just as an added precaution. 

11/02/2013 05:58 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

FWIW - The Load Line Calibration (LLC), on many AM3+ mobos does NOT function properly. This causes the vcore to significantly increase as load increases. You can end up with similar results to this where the vcore jumps to 1.4v which is way higher than required for any of the FX-8000 series CPUs running at the default frequency.

Burtannia - Glad that you were able to correct the problem.

11/02/2013 08:39 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

I regreased my CPU factory cooler and I was able to run the multiplier all the way to 20x and it remains thermally stable.

Will not go any higher, not sure why. Maybe the CPU thermal gradient is not adequate to remove enough more heat?

I used Arctic MX-4 which seems to be reasonablely stable.

Statistics
84329 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.