Topic Title: FX-6300 Temperature Issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/11/2013 12:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/11/2013 12:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
JohnX13
Peon

Hi,

I recently got a FX-6300 and using either HWMonitor or CoreTemp, when the load of my cpu is idle or very low, the temperatures continue to decline until they reach well below ambient, once even into negatives.  What could be causing this? I am concerned for the temperatures I could be receiving on the higher end if it is malfunctioning or poorly calibrated. 

11/11/2013 01:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

There is a "sticky" here on this but it it isn't easy to find and it's long winded so I'll post up what I posted at the end of that thread, which should answer your questions on FX CPU temps.

Just an FYI on AMD FX series processor temps...

AMD engineering has looked into the issue and confirmed that the temps below 40C reported by the common temp applets like Core Temp, HWiNFO, OCCT, AMD Overdrive, etc. are NOT accurate. The temps between 40C-70C are quite accurate. AMD engineering has advised that in the next iteration of AMD Overdrive, this issue will be fixed. There is no word as to when the next iteration of AMD Overdrive will be released however.

As a result some folks see below ambient temps when their CPU is at idle. Adding a temp offset to make your idle and light load temps appear normal will produce wildly high, inaccurate temps when the CPU/APU is under load so do NOT add a temp offset - per AMD engineering.

It's worth noting however that the only temp that actually counts is the full load temp. If your CPU is below the 24/7 max temp that AMD specifies for your model CPU/APU then you are fine. Unlike the Phenon II CPUs that tended to like to be below 55C, the FX models run fine up to the temps AMD specifies for each model CPU which is typically in the 61C-70C range for 24/7 use on desktop model FX CPUs.

-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

Statistics
89084 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.