Topic Title: What is a Matched Pair of Opteron's
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/16/2013 08:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/16/2013 08:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bobricci
Peon

I want to speed up my PC and I see "Matched Pairs" of CPU's on eBay. But I hav4en't been able to see what a "matched pair" is. Is it sequential serial numbers? Speed? Step rate (whatever this is) or all of the above?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

11/16/2013 09:35 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

"matched pair" in regards to CPUs means that the two CPUs are of the same stepping for use in a dual socket mobo. CPU steppings are slightly different versions of the same basic CPU design that were developed over time.

For a single socket mobo the only requirement is that the CPU socket and BIOS support the CPU model.

-------------------------

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

11/16/2013 09:52 PM

Author Icon
bobricci
Peon

Originally posted by: AMDforMe "matched pair" in regards to CPUs means that the two CPUs are of the same stepping for use in a dual socket mobo. CPU steppings are slightly different versions of the same basic CPU design that were developed over time.

For a single socket mobo the only requirement is that the CPU socket and BIOS support the CPU model.

Awesome! How then can I look at the CPU's and tell what their stepping is? I bought a lot of CPU's on eBay. On them I see:

AMD Opteron

OST275FAA6CB

LCB9E 0642VPMW

Z085053J60403

On the second CPU I see:

AMD Opteron

OST275FAA6CB

CCBWE 0618EPMW

1463717E60923

On the third chip I see:

AMD Opteron

OST275FAA6CB

CCBWE 0627VPMW

1492575G60497

On the fourth CPU I see:

AMD Opteron

OST275FAA6CB

CCBWE 0627VPMW

1492575G60884

The 3rd and 4th CPU's look like the same batch. The 1st and 2nd don't. But all share a common first line. What tells me the stepping rate?

Thank you again.

11/16/2013 11:00 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

There is considerable information online to decode the CPU markings and determine the steppings. AMD online technical white papers also have this info. but it may take a lot of searching to find what you desire.

Click on the particular Opteron OEM or "Boxed CPU" hot link to find info.

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/id/AMD-identification.html

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

11/17/2013 12:55 AM

Author Icon
bobricci
Peon

You have been a huge help! The link is exactly what I needed and confirmed that the first number series identifies the CPU. The mobo is a SuperMicro serverbaord, H8DAR-i, and is supposed to accept 200 series CPU's. The current CPU's are Opteron 248's with a single core. The replacements are 275's with dual core. The 275's dissipate 68 watts but I don't see anything that tells me what the 248's dissipate. I am assuming the 248's dissipate 55 watts but I would like to confirm this. Another spec sheet says code A --  "standard". I suppose if SuperMicro says 200 series that means the 275 is included. I really only care that the mobo can handle the 275.

11/17/2013 01:24 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Glad to help.

For future reference, most of what I posted can be found online with any good search engine.

11/17/2013 01:24 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Server issues...  Double post deleted.

11/18/2013 03:20 AM

Author Icon
bobricci
Peon

Yes, but it helps to know what to search for. It's like me telling my daughter to lookup a word in the dictionary and she always says, "But if I don't know how to spell it how can I look it up?"

So true. Thank you for your help. The 275 will work in the H8DAR-i mobo. There ins't really a tangible difference between a 248 and a 275 except an additional core. I don't know if that will really speed up my small web server.

11/18/2013 09:29 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Some times you need to start with a guess or general search such as: "what is a matched pair of CPUs", then once you discover it might have something to do with "CPU steppings", you search on "CPU steppings for Opteron processors". Eventually you get to the info., you desire.

Statistics
84686 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.