Topic Title: FX 9590 default voltage
Topic Summary: thinking of getting a 9590 for a Crosshair V non-z
Created On: 11/17/2013 01:04 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/17/2013 01:04 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
campdude
Nerfed

I have a simple question that has been probably over-drilled in the forums.

The silly 9590 are TDP 220 and I only have a Crosshair V-non-z board.

I know its not officially supported. Mine goes up to TDP 160

The question I have is..... I've read that people overclock the 8350 to past the 4 ghz mark. They also ramp up the voltage to get this. 1.55volts for 4.8 Ghz.

If they claim that is prime stable... wouldnt a 9590 be just the same?

Now technically wouldnt a 9590 even be better if it can run 4.7 Ghz at a lower voltage if the voltage is lower? Shouldnt this be safer?

I've seen reviews show that a 9590 uses less overall power than an overclocked 8350...

I hate the 220W thing.... but its something we'd be stuck with...

I am just curious whats the thoughts out there?

What is the default voltage for a 9590? 

and here is my complaint... why couldnt they have just aimed to be lower than 160W...

11/17/2013 01:19 AM

Author Icon
campdude
Nerfed

I forgot that VCORE is short for CPU voltage....

Darn the 9590 is at 1.5 Voltage so its not a special CPU at all.

11/17/2013 10:54 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Just get a FX 8350 and overclock it, that's all the 9590 is.

-------------------------
AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/17/2013 01:19 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

There are no "special" CPUs per se in a given model. When CPU makers produce these CPUs each CPU is tested to see what it's maximum reliable operating frequency is at a specified vcore and TDP, as the TDP varies by both the frequency and vcore. Then the CPU is given it's model designation to stay within the TDP that the mfg. desires.

Thus a FX-9xxx is the same CPU as the FX-8320, which is the same as the FX-8350. The faster frequency CPUs are the ones that will run 100% stable at the higher frequency within the design parameters.

As far as mobos are concerned I would only recommend a FX-9000 series CPU on an approved mobo because the mobo VRM circuit is likely to burn itself out with the power requirements of a FX-9000 series CPU, if used on an unapproved mobo.

As far as the FX-8350 I feel this is the best bang for the buck and I'm running mine OC'd to 4.6 GHz. 24/7 on an Asrock 990FX Fatality which has the proper 12 phase VRM circuit to handle an OC'ed FX 8-core processor. It's also approved for the FX-9000 series CPUs.

In addition if you're planning to run any FX 8-core processor @ 1.5v vcore then you're going to need good H2O cooling with a Swiftech 220 probably being the minimum thermal cooling capacity. My FX-8350 @ 4.6 GHz. runs just fine with a Xigmatek Aegir SD128264 HSF even under stress testing with Prime 95 for over 24 hours continuously.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

11/19/2013 03:17 PM

Author Icon
campdude
Nerfed

Ya I dont plan on running anything at 1.5v anymore.

When I meant special cpu, I actually meant a cpu that can do higher frequency with same/normal voltages. Otherwise its not special.

The higher the vcore the more heat i saw with my FX4100. So i decided to play with trying to minimize the vcore. 

I got 4.2Ghz with 1.416v... 2133mhz ram. Could lower ram speed to get more processor speeed but too lazy for that anymore. H80 cooling system.

Because of AMD now I am going to wait a year before I upgrade my cpu. If AMD had plans to put steamroller out in 2014, I might have bitten on that bait. BUT i guess I will wait until 2015 before i upgrade to anything.

I've already purchased 2 cpu's for this AM3+ motherboard.

A Sempron for $40 - 

A FX4100 for  $120 - (after upgrade i build a new computer and gave it away with a sempron in it)

Now a FX 8350 for 200? not yet. we will see. I want to see what they will release in the future... theres gotta be something in 2015....

IF NOT BY then AMD will get less cash from me as the 8350 wont be worth as much. Or they might have a 8370 4.2 ghz/something with normal voltages then maybe almost equivalent cash but at a later date.

Or the hopes is steamroller will eventually come to AM3+. Then they can get more money from me. If they want money they might as well release steamroller for AM3+. I can't be the only one sitting here looking to upgrade.

11/19/2013 04:45 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

There were several socket AM3+ Steamroller surveys in PC enthusiast's forums and approx. 92% of those who responded that had an existing AM3+ mobo were willing to purchase a Steamroller CPU upgrade based on a 15% performance boost over Vishera at the same clockspeed, yet AMD isn't going to offer a Steamroller AM3+ upgrade path.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

11/19/2013 08:27 PM

Author Icon
campdude
Nerfed

I did not participate in that survey.

It is hard to justify a 15% upgrade. But for me it would be a 30% upgrade (from slowest bulldozer).

I didnt buy into octacore bulldozer because i knew something better was around the corner. So I got the cheapo CPU FX4100 as mentioned to fill my fix in the meantime.

I sometimes wonder if the thought of steamroller existing would have spoiled Vishera sales....and it did. I did not buy Vishera in the hopes for steamroller.

I have learnt a lesson though. Never build a computer 'for the future'. 

I bought into AM3+ before FX series cpus were released. Now the story is complete... People think I am an AMD fanboy wanting a faster AMD CPU but in reality I was conned into early adoption.

I could have easily afforded an expensive i-something Intel. 

I had 3 7970's in my computer with a FX4100...lol

I already gave one 7970 away... this AMD rig will never use the third card.

I early adopted the 7970 too... paid too much for it at launch.

And thats why i dont have 220W TDP only an 8+ something phase changer. Early adoption of AM3+... sucked.

Its a funny story but now I sound really whiney. But i learnt something. I'll never early adopt anything computer related.

Edited: 11/19/2013 at 08:35 PM by campdude
 11/19/2013 09:02 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I wasn't an early adopter of AM3+ but I bought a Vishera FX-8350 and it's very good IMO. It was stated for a long time that Steamroller would be a drop in to the AM3+ socket. When Rory Read took over AMD he made some wholesale changes to try and get AMD back on track. It looks like the AM3+ Steamroller was lost in the reorganization.

I'd buy a Steamroller AM3+ CPU with a 15% performance boost over Vishera which was about an 8% boost over Bulldozer. Even Intel doesn't usually do much more than 5%-10% with a new CPU model and you usually need to buy a new mobo also. That was one thing AMD had going for them with AM3+. AMD really needs the sales and a Steamroller AM3+ would have been welcome cash flow for them and carried their desktop CPU platform until 2015.

11/22/2013 08:23 PM

Author Icon
campdude
Nerfed

I can see that it makes sense to standardize the sockets. Why have two sockets FM2+ and AM3+ going at the same time if they could both be using same socket.

On my old Socket 939... it was well supported on the consumer side and server side. I fit an opteron into my Socket 939 when I couldnt find any other path for upgrading to dual core.

Now they have socket galore. F, G34, C32, FM2, FM2+, Am3+, blah blah.

It would be more simple to go back to the old system of one socket for all. Then more support and non of us would get alieanated.

One socket for all probably causes some problems but I am not really knowledgeable on what is best. I just liked how AMD worked for me in the past. The future probably uncertain. This move has caused one of my friends to actually switch to intel. (well actually it was bulldozer that caused him to want to switch but this sealed the deal)

11/22/2013 09:30 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Well see, you can't do that. Socket FMx is for APUs, whose "northbridge" chipset is integrated into the APU itself. Socket AMx is for CPUs whose "northbridge" chipset is on the motherboard. Socket C32 uses the low end chipset of the server market with 1-2 physical sockets, and G34 uses the high end server chipset for boards with 3-4 sockets (though both use pretty much the same chipsets, with the main difference being the number of physical processors supported). Socket F and F+ have been replaced by C32/G34.

If the northbridge chipset were ever integrated into CPUs, which is possible, then there could be a unified non server/HPC socket. But as far as going back to an overall unified socket like 939, the chances are quite low because of the differences in emphasis of features between the two markets, and if they were to accommodate both then it would do nothing but unnecessarily drive up costs.

And if you want to talk socket hell, just look at Intel, they switch sockets at the drop of a hat, whereas with the AMx socket there is a degree of backwards compatibility .

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/22/2013 11:24 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

AMD's goal is to have FM2+ be the consumer socket for the foreseeable future starting circa 2015 when AM3+ will EOL. There are good possibilities in many directions depending on AMD's/GloFo's ability to execute. Unfortunately between now and sometime in 2015 the AMD desktop AM3+ segment is looking pretty dead as far as any upgrades. 

Statistics
88952 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.