Topic Title: FX-8320
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/18/2013 04:55 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/18/2013 04:55 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
andyswe
Peon

Hi,

I purchased the FX-8320 yesterday and im getting lower fps in BF4 than with my older Phenom 2 955BE. I get drpos down to 25 fps even with low settings, how is this possible?

I updated BIOS and made a fresh install of Win 7.

My setup is:

Asus M5A78L

GTX 570 1208 MB

8 GB ram, Corsair XMS3 1333 MHz

Corsair 550 W

11/18/2013 05:22 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I assume you are using BIOS 1401 (since you said you updated the BIOS), disabled power saving features in BIOS, and have tried the scheduler hotfixes from Microsoft?

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/18/2013 05:47 PM

Author Icon
andyswe
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion I assume you are using BIOS 1401 (since you said you updated the BIOS), disabled power saving features in BIOS, and have tried the scheduler hotfixes from Microsoft?

I have version 1505, the latest. They said that versions greater than 1401 should work.

Didnt konw about these hotfixes, will try them now. Thanks for the help, i will return with results

11/18/2013 06:25 PM

Author Icon
andyswe
Peon

Nope the fixes didnt really work, what power saving features do you mean?

11/18/2013 06:48 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Cool N Quiet

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/18/2013 09:15 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

Several things come to mind that you may want to check.

1. Install the latest video card drivers

2. There is an update for AMD FX processors and Win 7 that does improve performance. This is not installed by default and needs to be manually installed AFAIK.

3. Use the Core Temp application to see what the CPU core temps are while gaming for awhile. If your CPU is running too hot (close to 70C), it will throttle itself. Be sure to read core temps NOT CPU temp which is typically the thermister temp sensor mounted under the CPU socket which runs 10C-25C higher than the actual CPU core temps.

4. You can use some of the online benches to get an idea if your 8320 is producing similar results to other folks with the same hardware as there is a lot of database data for reference. Don't consider an unusually high score to be typical however.

5. If none of the above helps I'd manually set the CPU frequency to the default frequency and disable the following:

1. Turbo Core Tech (Turbo mode)

2. APM (power management)

3. C1E

4. Cool & Quiet

5. CPU Thermal Throttle - make sure the CPU fan is running at 100%

If the pics that I see online for your model mobo are the correct ones, it doesn't show any VRM circuit heat sink which could be an issue with an 8-core FX CPU under heavy load.

If your FPS still drop after the above checks then use some software to record your CPU frequency and vcore voltage such as OCCT or similar, while you play games. Check the recorded data to see if after 15+ minutes of video gaming the vcore drops to .875v and the frequency to 1400 MHz. If this happens then the VRM circuit on your mobo is overheating and throttling the CPU.

You'd need to add cooling to the VRM circuit to reduce or eliminate this problem which happens on many mobos with 8-core FX processors and stress testing or heavy video gaming. It takes awhile for the VRM circuit to overheat so it doesn't usually occur in the first 15 minutes unless you have a VRM circuit with minimal cooling.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

Edited: 11/18/2013 at 09:25 PM by AMDforMe
 11/19/2013 05:27 AM

Author Icon
andyswe
Peon

Hi and thanks for the help.

When i was playing BF4 and the fps started to drop I quickly tabbed out to AMD overdrive and noticed that the voltage and frequency was as you said. Vcore somewhere around .8 and freq around 1400 MHz. Then when it went back upp to 1.225 V and 3.5 GHz my fps jumped back up to 80-90.

So what can i do to deal with this? New motherboard?

So thankful for your help

11/19/2013 12:31 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The only thing you really could try on your mobo is a heatsink and fan on the VRM circuit, but in reality it's just nor designed to handle the power draw of an 8-core FX processor.

Asus, Gigabyte and Asrock all sell at least one AM3+ model mobo with a proper VRM design to handle a FX 8-core CPU without issues.

Asrock's is the Extreme9 or 990FX Fatality - both excellent mobos. Gigabyte just updated their mobos because the VRM circuits were insufficient and caused the same issue you experienced with the Asus mobo. The newer Gigabyte models are designated "XFA UD", with a 3-5 or 7 digit. I don't know what Asus models have the highend VRM circuits as I stopped using their mobos due to quality issues and lack of customer support. If you plan to someday use the 220W FX 9000 series processors, the Asrock mobos listed above are approved for it as well as the Gigabyte XFA UD7 model. Asus has one FX-9000 series approved mobo also.

IME the Asrock Extreme9 or 990FX Fatality are the best value and performance  but be sure to check that whatever mobo you buy has the features that you require as the mobo makers are making way too many variations of mobos and it's unnecessary.

Building a reliable PC involves more than just assembling the parts. You need to be able to configure all of the BIOS settings appropriately. This can be quite involved and frustrating as it can require a lot of trial and error with stress testing. It is however often the only means to get a 100% reliable PC.

11/19/2013 02:39 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

Originally posted by: andyswe Hi,

I purchased the FX-8320 yesterday and im getting lower fps in BF4 than with my older Phenom 2 955BE. I get drpos down to 25 fps even with low settings, how is this possible?

I updated BIOS and made a fresh install of Win 7.

My setup is:

Asus M5A78L

GTX 570 1208 MB

8 GB ram, Corsair XMS3 1333 MHz

Corsair 550 W

you might want to get a more sophisticated motherboard, that one is a very low end model

11/19/2013 02:43 PM

Author Icon
andyswe
Peon

Thanks for the reply

I've been looking around for motherboards and the ones that you suggested are a bit expensive for me ( but i will buy one if it is nessesary).

I checked around at other forums (swedish) and they said that the Asus M5A97 R2.0 will be fine. It says that it supports 8 cors CPUs. It looks like (at the picture) that it has more "cooling stuff" on it.

Now, do you think that the Asus will be fine or is it stupid to buy something likt that?

Worth to mention is that i will not do any overklocking or so ever with it.

11/19/2013 05:05 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

It has a VRM heatsink which is good but the Asus website shows a 4+2 VRM design, which isn't good but the Newegg website shows a 6+2+2 design VRM, which is rather odd.

The Asus website says CPUs up to 140W which is good. That's the minimum you'd want. I'd say this mobo is probably fine as long as you aren't planning to OC much if at all. At least you can have a fan blowing on the VRM heatsink if you actually needed it.

11/23/2013 10:36 PM

Author Icon
Vegan
Elite

Originally posted by: AMDforMe It has a VRM heatsink which is good but the Asus website shows a 4+2 VRM design, which isn't good but the Newegg website shows a 6+2+2 design VRM, which is rather odd.

The Asus website says CPUs up to 140W which is good. That's the minimum you'd want. I'd say this mobo is probably fine as long as you aren't planning to OC much if at all. At least you can have a fan blowing on the VRM heatsink if you actually needed it.

I have looked at the M5A97 and its not so bad, lots of variants, get one with USB 3.0 which is the future

UEFI is a bonus now that 6TB disks are shipping

11/24/2013 04:51 AM

Author Icon
andyswe
Peon

Hi

Thanks for the help everyone. I got the Gigabyte 990FXA UD3 a few days ago and it works just fine. I also upgraded my GPU to AMD 7970 so i can enjoy Battlefield 4 at high settings.

So, problem solved and thanks for the help

11/24/2013 02:21 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Farming Materials

The "FXA" models have the revised and better VRM design.

Statistics
84884 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.