Topic Title: Random Restarts and Computer Freezes. Are my temps too high ?
Topic Summary: Please see attached screenshot of temps.
Created On: 11/26/2013 07:58 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/26/2013 07:58 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rk9
Peon

Hi Guys,

Please see my attachment, hopefully someone can tell me if this is a temperature issue. I think my CPU might be overheating. Just installed a hydro cooling system and it may not be working.

I mainly want to know if these temps look good to you guys ?

Please find PC temps here.

Graphics Card: Powercolor Radeon 7870

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Version 2013.0830. 1944.33589

Operating System
- Win 7 64bit Ultimate

Issue Details: 

- Computer would randomly freeze, hang or restart only when playing high end games.
- Has been restarting more lately.  

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- AsRock 880GMH-LE/USB3

Power Supply

- Antec 520W, 80+ certified and 420W  max on the 12V rail.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- x2 24" monitors connecting via dvi.

Applications and Games

- Issue mostly occurs in Wargame Airland and Battle. 

CPU Details
- AMD Phenom II X6 1090T, no overclocking done.

Motherboard BIOS Version
- 1.40, Latest version.

System Memory Type & Amount
- x2 4GB Patriot 1600mhz 

Additional Hardware
- Pci-e TP-link wirless card. 
- Samsung 120GB ssd.
- Seagate 1TB 7200RPM 

Additional Details
- Passed MemTest86 using Hirens.
- Passed Seagate disk testing tools using hirens.
- Passed all 3Dmark benchmarking tools.
- Drivers have been all updated. 

- AMDs Stability test - FAILED. Results shown here.
- OCCT PSU Tests -  FAILED. Results shown here.
- Prime95 small FFT - FAILED within 10 seconds. Shown here.

Thanks guys!

Really appreciate it!  

EDIT---

After this post automatically being transferred to the AMD processors section, the temperatures stated in my screenshot seem to be okay and normal, as suggested in this sticky.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 06:38 PM by rk9
 11/28/2013 02:25 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

51C core temps under max load is not excessively hot nor a reason for the CPU to malfunction. RAM would be a good possibility and Memtest V4.2 of V5.0 run overnight will usually catch the problem if it's RAM.

If you haven't done so you could also re-seat the Video card and RAM and remove and re-attach all cables to insure good electrical connections.

FWIW, hydro cooling systems are often over-rated on performance. The closed loop coolers are often not as good as a highend tower style HSF and HSFs never leak water to damage your expensive PC hardware. Even though H2O coolers are the current trick-of-the-week, they have their downsides. I do not normally recommend them due to poor thermal efficiency, noise, cost and the inescapable water leak liability. 

In any case the heat sink must make good contact with the CPU heat spreader. You only want the thinnest possible layer of thermal paste possible between the cooler and CPU/APU heat spreader. The reason you want the thinnest layer of TIM is because thermal grease/paste is a thermal insulator compared to direct metal-to-metal contact of the cooler and CPU/APU heat spreader. TIM is only meant to fill the minute surface imperfections in the heat sink base and the CPU/APU heat spreader surfaces. Unfortunately it has come to be used more like glue than it's intended use to fill scratches and low spots.

-------------------------

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

11/28/2013 04:04 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

I also don't linke the fact that you have a 7870 powered with a 520W PSU...  that seems to be cutting it rather thin...  then you add the fact that it's only 420W on the 12V...  then you throw in capacitor aging, how old is this PSU?

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

11/28/2013 04:22 PM

Author Icon
rk9
Peon

To be honest, I thought the same with water cooling until another computer techie convinced me otherwise. The reason why I go it in the end, is that my stock CPU fan was too loud, and thought the h55 would be easier to change fans if I wanted to. I would've loved to get the Noctua's HSF. They are so sweeet! But was just too fat for my small motherboard.

The Corsair H55 which I installed has a thin thermal paste already on the heatsink and pretty sure it had full contact with the cpu. And yes, I agree with you, most people these days tend to use it as glue. 

Thanks for the advice AMDforme! Will look into reseating all the hardware. Probabably a good time to give it a good dusting too. Although theres probably not much dust built up.  

@QB, I spoke about this PSU with Marc from AMD Customer care in a ticket long ago, and he said that the 420W with 12v on the rail should be plenty for my 7870.  I agree with him, unless you say otherwise? It's probably 2 years old. Thanks for your advice!

Edited: 11/28/2013 at 04:45 PM by rk9
 11/28/2013 05:11 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

The 7870 pulls 175w, your CPU 125w, and say 75w for everything else. That's 375w. That 2 year old PSU is only putting out about 400w at 12v, so yea that is very thin.

AMD FX-8350 w/ Corsair H105, ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Gen3/R2, 8GiB G.SKILL DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, Corsair C70, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 11/28/2013 06:50 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

As others have noted the 425w on the 12v rail is marginal but if the PSU is working fine it should be OK. OCCT has a PSU/GPU stress test that you can run to see if it trips your system into a BSOD or re-boot. P95 blend testing stresses the CPU and RAM mostly as does the OCCT large data set.

As far as my H2O cooling comments, they were for informational purposes only not to disparage your choice in coolers. There are some good technical comparative tests online by a few reliable sources that substantiate what I posted. I subscribe to the philosophy that people should technically educate themselves so they can make an informed purchasing decision and then buy what makes you happy.

Many people have been surprised however to find out about the downside to H2O cooling with closed loop coolers (CLCs), until after they bought and installed a unit. As long as you don't have problems and the hardware works as desired it's all good. It's when the inevitable happens that things get frustrating.

Hopefully the RAM or PSU/GPU testing will help isolate the problem in your system.

Technical ignorance is NOT a destiny it is a choice. Do your homework so that you can make technically informed decisions and not be duped by advertising hype or mis-information stated as fact when its not.

11/28/2013 07:15 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

@AMDforMe

If you look at a vast majority of signature systems here you will find water cooling kits...  and I have yet to here of a single problem from my fellow forum members...  so to say "inevitable" is a huge HUGE over-statement and borderline fear mongering.

For me personally there is not much better for performance-to-nosie ratio than my H80i

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-H80i-CPU-Cooler-Review/1709/7

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

11/28/2013 11:05 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

I don't want to get side tracked from the OP's issue but the test data and leak/damage reports substantiate what I have stated. It is what it is and the fact is HSFs never leak water. There is no fear mongering, just facts.

I'm perfectly happy to agree to disagree with you on CLCs and allow the available accurate test data from many sources such as Tom's, Anandtech, Frosty Tech and others on H2O cooling efficiency, noise, cost and reliablility speak for itself. While the newer "i" series is slightly better than the non "i" series they still all have the same water-leak vulnerability in addition to the other issues. Corsair started paying for damaged PCs due to the high failure rates and then switched suppliers.

I fully understand that CLCs are a fad that some folks are going thru and they are perfectly entitled to do so. Applied knowledge is power.

11/29/2013 01:57 AM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Eh according to corsair who I tend to believe due to there *amazing* customer service when a hydro unit damages a PC. There failure rates are the same across the board for all of there units they sell. However they see alot more failures of the 100 series due to how popular they were. 

Then again I also got mine with a 5 year warranty. So thats why I'm sure it doesn't bother me. (who doesn't replace a HSF in 5 years anyways so I think the failure point is moot )

@ OP have you ran any stress test or Mem test yet? Prime 95 ect.. like suggested?

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: x2 XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

Edited: 11/29/2013 at 02:13 AM by Vantharas
 11/29/2013 02:23 PM

Author Icon
AMDforMe
Overclocker

Unfortunately the Corsair H2O cooler warranty doesn't prevent damage to the PC, lost data, shipping hardware back and forth and the loss of use of your PC for weeks. If your PC is just a toy, these issues may not be important to you but to those who depend on their PC, these are very important issues to consider. That's why product knowledge is more important than advertising hype intended to sell a product.

Take company claims with a large grain of salt... For months Corsair told customers there were no problems with the SandForce controller based SSDs they were selling. Tens of thousands of customers proved Corsair was wrong and these customers suffered the consequences of lost data, RMAs, etc. Corsair's PSU problems have also been well documented.

When a fan fails on a HSF the heatsink stills provides cooling and modern CPUs have thermal sensors to shut them down if they do finally overheat. That is in contrast to a H2O cooler leak which can short circuit the motherboard and electrically fry the mobo, Vid card, SSD/HDD, CPU, etc. A 5 year or 50 year warranty does nothing to prevent this type of tragedy.

Corsair has sold some pretty good RAM over the years and I have used a lot of it but they have a very checkered history on other products which they out source. That's why it's good for consumers to perform due diligence before purchasing PC hardware that can cost them dearly when it fails. The objective independent test results clearly show the issues with CLCs.

As I posted above, I recommend that consumers educate themselves so they can make an informed buying decision. I personally do not care what a person buys but I do care that products are often recommended or sold based on hype not on a full disclosure basis. If a consumer knows the full story then they can make an educated buying decision.

BTW, the OP's system issue does not appear to be CPU temp related if he's only seeing 51C core temps full load so hopefully the OCCT PSU/GPU or RAM tests will identify the issue.

11/29/2013 03:15 PM

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Corsair PSU's have some of the lowest return rates in the industry. (1.68%) You can say "well documented" all you want. But when it gets down to it. you can look for issues with every power supply from every manfacturer there is.

Many independent 3rd party websites that disassemble corair units down the bare bones well prove the quality of parts used in the assembly of those units. 

Same thing with your "SSD" issue. OCZ, Intel , Samsung, Toshiba, and every other manufacturer of SSD's have had issues with components used in them. (Corsair failure rate on there SSDs is less then 3% well within manfacturer expected return rates idk where you got 10s of 1000's.) 

Not to mention *every* third party review site who has reviewed corsair PSU's clearly back up corsairs claims. With quality , voltage drop, ripple. All being well within tolerance and well exceeding expectations. 

That and there warranties. Corsair designs there powersupplies in house and outsources them. They use several OEM manufacturers such as Seasonic, FSP ect... 

And you and other consumers can get these reviews from "independent" sites easily. So i'm not really sure what your issue with corsair as a company is. But it seems you almost enjoy talking bad about them.

I would also like to point out, that corsair takes there reputation very seriously as they have individuals that represent the company at the popular hardware sites to insure individuals are taken care of. 

I will say this. I agree with you when it comes to CLC's I agree. But only in the sense of if someone can't get it out of there head that there is water in a cooler inside of there PC it may fail and there is a small percentage of a chance that it could leak , instead of just being a pump failure. Which is far more likely. And I still believe the numbers corsair post which is a failure rate of what is likely 2% according to Corsairs global product manager.

Since third party sites also back up what they said.  

I apologize OP for derailing your topic. 

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: x2 XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

Edited: 11/29/2013 at 04:10 PM by Vantharas
 12/02/2013 05:56 PM

Author Icon
rk9
Peon

Hey all,

I appreciate everyone's help! I ran AMD overdrive stability test and that crashed just before the 1 minute mark. Screenshot of AMDs Stability test when PC hanged are found here.

I also ran OCCT 4.4.0 Power Supply test and which also froze my PC within the first minute. Screenshot of OCCT when my PC froze can be found here.

Prime95 small fft failed within 10 seconds. Results are here.

It's unlikely its the CPU itself, so maybe it could be the motherboard or PSU? There are alot of sales still hanging about, so maybe I can still purchase either one fairly soon. Let me know what your thoughts!

I don't mind the sub-topic as long as we all  remain respectful and realise that we're all working together. I'm fairly new to the forums and I don't want to be the reason to stir up any negative thoughts towards each other! Besides, I'm always happy to listen to tech enthusiasts talk and give each others ideas.

Edited: 12/02/2013 at 06:59 PM by rk9
 12/02/2013 06:52 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Totally sounds like a power issue.  I am almost certain that your 2yr old PSU is not nearly enough for your system.  Have you run memtest?

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

01/21/2014 02:32 AM

Author Icon
rk9
Peon

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to all!

I've recently purchased a new Corsair TX850 850W PSU and am unfortunately still having the same problems. I ran another memtest all night and passed. I'm about to reinstall all my components on my motherboard one more time, re-intsall the hydro cooling on my cpu and if that doesn't work, i'm buying a new motherboard. lol What do you guys think ?

Statistics
87437 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.